Commerce Bank

Updated December 15, 2014
3.6

Commerce Bank Chairman, President, and CEO David W. Kemper
David W. Kemper

Pros
  • Good company culture and approachable management (in 5 reviews)

• The firm has a great work life balance that allows individuals to work at their own pace and is a good place to work for people that have families (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management has little to no care about individual employees, tend to play favorites (in 4 reviews)

• Part time was 33 hours but 6 days a week every week (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Operation Clerk

I worked at Commerce Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with a lot of nice people and good benefits.

Cons

Technology and changes in the financial field has eliminated jobs.

PERSONAL BANKER II

I have been working at Commerce Bank

Pros

Get a basic knowledge of all bank products as well as all departments.

Cons

Many customer complaints and no one for them to go to for direct help in specific areas.

meh...

Current Employee - IT Developer III in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - IT Developer III in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Commerce Bank

Pros

You can work here for 20+ years. There is a continuous flow of day to day work. Working in downtown KC is great. Usually 1-2 days per week work from home privileges after first year.

Cons

Few real challenges. Mostly mediocre day to day work. Once you are hired you are on the 2-3% gravy train. Even if you are promoted you will get at most 5% even if people with the same title and position are making $20K+ more than you.. There is always somebody higher up the management chain that can and probably will circumvent any decision you make so it's best to not make any.

Poor Sales Support in Expansion Markets

I have been working at Commerce Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people always willing to help.

Cons

Commission changes really sent talented salespeople running for the doors in the last six months. Not enough marketing support to help win business in expansion efforts. Salaries are on the low side with no money to be made with capped and declining balance commissions. They deduct 1/3 of commission if you miss numbers each quarter which will affect your earnings all year, leaving you with really nothing more to take home but your low salary.

Stand by and help your reps before they all take their talent to competitors. Firing them costs you more and resets the learning curve for the new "Better" girl/ guy, and leaves a bad taste with prospects as to why their own employees are leaving. Commerce Bank's efforts are unknown to everyone outside of the Midwest. Hiring more people is not going to help that. They will have the same issues.

Don't Expect Adequate Training

I have been working at Commerce Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competetive salary, pretty good benefits, the CEO is very involved in the business, excellent coworkers, very involved in the community.

Cons

Management has a tendency to favor individuals so not everyone is held at the same standard, training is abysmal, employees are overworked and management refuses to bring in new people,

Please find a happy medium between being overly confrontational and combative, and being a complete pushover, very rarely do they promote from within.

Sales Leader

I worked at Commerce Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy. Strong products and dedicated employees.

Cons

Poor internal communication of changes within the organization, as it related to strategy, organizational structure and direction. Somewhat fragmented approach to changes in the marketplace.

Improve change management practices.

A decade wasted

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Commerce Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Commerce is a very stable bank to work for. Upper management is very friendly and not too intimidating. Co-workers were like family and I miss them dearly. I was paid well for the type of work and quantity of work done. There are certainly worse places to work, and not everyone there experiences the same treatment. Good departments exist. I just wasn't in one of them.

Cons

Commerce is terrible about promoting from within and/or certain departments. Middle management is clique-ish. If you are not a part of the club, you're nobody. One department is very clearly "reverse sexist" as they would not restore a male employee to his former position when there was reorganization. -Not me. He left that area. I was never promoted and only two people in my department were in the 10 years I was there. Mistakes made years in the past are never forgiven despite current good reviews. Finally, they are INCREDIBLY stingy on raises. Employees with "Excellent" reviews do not even break 1.5%. I left for that reason and in my new job I have already been given two raises in the last 18 months. The total of the raises would have been equivalent to about 4 years review cycles for an "Average to Excellent" employee.

Stop wasting money on lavish sales meetings and parties. Instead, reward your employees with those funds. Secondly, learn to forgive. Every compliment should not come with "...but..." in it. I'm permanently scarred from that abuse. My present employer had nothing but compliments and I kept waiting for the "but" that never came. Lastly, don't judge an entire department negatively based on one or two bad eggs.

A strong company that is at times, almost too conservative

Former Employee - Business Line Data Analyst in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Business Line Data Analyst in Clayton, MO

I worked at Commerce Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A good company to start a career. Very conservative which allows for a stable job. Heavily involved in the community.

Cons

Managers do not do a good job at growing their employees to full potential. Not a lot of room for growth unless you are part of the inner-circle. A good company to begin your career with but would need to look elsewhere for higher level positions.

Take the time to get to know your lower level employees.

Project Manager

I have been working at Commerce Bank full-time

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Difficult to get proper training because business is fast paced

Maximum Job Security

Current Employee - IT Developer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Commerce Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No one gets fired (unless you seriously violate an HR policy). Good benefits. Laid back. If you're looking for a company to take with you to your grave, this would be the one.

Cons

No one gets fired. 'Nuff said.

They really need to do more market research on compensation for jobs in the local markets. I know that financial institutions generally are not as competitive in this regard, but it's really ridiculous when the annual salary increases does not meet the rising cost of living or inflation. The only real way to make more money is to get promoted (generally a 5% jump) or salary negotiation with an offer from another company. But that only works if you've been there for a while and you're worth anything.