Commerce Bank Reviews

Reset

1. Former Employee

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Spanish Lake, MO
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Spanish Lake, MO

I worked at Commerce Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start for the experience. Some exciting challenges to help Tellers meet their goals requirements.

Cons

Some locations have horrible Management with very nasty attitudes and even if reported the higher up look pass it.

Advice to Management

They need to give classes to Supervisors/Branch Managers on attitudes and on proper way to communicate with employees/customers

2. Great place to start

I have been working at Commerce Bank

Pros

Keeps you busy. Lots of in-depth tasks that gain you extensive understanding of the workings of the markets. Decent pay.

Cons

Some of the work doesn't seem useful. Lots of overlapping tasks. Not the most friendly place. Employees like to stonewall one another.

Product Manager

Current Employee - Product Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Commerce Bank (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, development opportunities, strong commitment to customers and community as well as employees. Financial strength and consistently strong results compared to peers,

Cons

Lack of diversity in senior management roles

5. Commercial Cards

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hartford, CT

I worked at Commerce Bank (More than 3 years)

Pros

good atmosphere and people, the products are innovative and timely and they are making a good effort to improve in all phases of the business

Cons

May not be moving fast enough to keep up with the competition which is springing up on the accounts payable automation from non-bank companies that are even more innovative

6. Good stable company to work for

Current Employee - IT Systems Administrator in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - IT Systems Administrator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Commerce Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commerce if very work/life balanced and is very good at providing comp time for any overtime worked. Currently very culture aware and making sure the work atmosphere is a good place to be.

Cons

As in most companies, communication could always be better from top management down.

7. Great Company

I have been working at Commerce Bank

Pros

Great corporate culture. Lots of company activities

Cons

Hard to advance if you are not in accounting or finance

8. Good entry level position

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Commerce Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers Good vacation time for a part-time position Professional Environment

Cons

Not very flexible Policies are bent for certain customers

9. People are SO HAPPY working here

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Commerce Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People LOVE working here. They stay here. Seems people only leave because of relocation or some personal issues affecting their stability. There are good benefits, lots of promotion opportunities, the ability transfer to totally different states and stay with the company. My boss works with me on my family schedule. I'm fairly compensated. I'm pretty happy here!

Cons

Training for my position was more of a "ask questions if you've got them" type of situation. And it would be nice to have some good reference materials that I could use to search in and answer my own questions. Each branch and manager has its own experience though. If you are part time, you have to wait like a month to get your first check and that is a burden.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. Nice Place, Falling Behind

Current Employee - IT Developer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Commerce Bank

Pros

Commerce is a nice place to work. People are friendly, there is great job security, and they invest in their employees. Working from home is an option, and management is very nice about unexpected days off. The Core Values of the company are great, however I admit they aren't always followed. There are several working groups at Commerce attempting to change this, and they have met with moderate success.

Cons

The technology is falling behind, and nobody has a plan how to fix it. There is so much "business as usual" ingrained in the culture that attempts to change practices and solutions are met with lots of resistance. They say the do agile development, but in reality they don't. They say they want to continuously improve, but the second that means that someone's current way of working has to change, it gets put on a back burner. From an IT perspective, most of these problems originate from the lines of business, and the ramshackle excuse of a QA department that works there. Business partners from the lines of business refuse to pay for any technology upkeep, and the aforementioned QA teams are so set in their ways that modern software development is impossible. The great job security I mentioned comes from the fact that it is extremely difficult to get fired from Commerce, meaning that there are lots of people filling roles they have no business filling.

Advice to Management

Force people to change. If you can't fire them, than at least stop accepting their petty excuses. IT management MUST be willing to stand up to the lines of businesses, otherwise they have no right calling themselves managers. If you feel you aren't up to the task, step down as a manager, and find a role more suitable to your timid disposition. Commerce has far too many managers as it is.

poor management

Current Employee - Consumer Lending Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consumer Lending Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Commerce Bank (More than a year)

Pros

relaxed work environment and great co workers of same position.

Cons

no formal training. managers just tell your to figure it out then criticize you when you don't get something correct. poor leadership.

Advice to Management

get real management to be your management

RSS Feed </> Embed