Commercial Energy Reviews

Reset
3.9
Ron Perry

1. Featured Review

Work hard and play hard!

I have been working at Commercial Energy

Pros

I get to work hard and play hard with my fellow employees. And I am paid well too!

Cons

You must do your job well to succeed.

My "typical" experience

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a current employee at Commercial Energy, my diligence and hard work has afforded me advanced job opportunities. My performance is acknowledged with strong compensation. And I see my career trajectory as continuous strides in skills development and seasoning in the energy industry. This is my tale, but this website contains a diversity of personal stories. Divergence of opinion does make markets but does it also make companies? At this juncture, you may choose to merely listen to the herd, or you can inform yourself. Conduct your own due diligence: Speak to the individuals who have built and are building Commercial Energy…Gain insight into their caliber and perspective… Sense the Company’s growth direction and potential. Only then will you understand that for the right individuals, working at Commercial Energy holds much allure.

Cons

Needs additional talented human capital to augment growth.

Great Place To Reach Your Potential!

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a growth business in a growing industry. I have been introduced to many industry specific concepts over my three years with the company and now find myself as somewhat of an expert. I have my manager and the company's leadership to thank for this. I have been challenged and added many skills to my tool belt over this time.

Cons

The company is not for those who are just looking to do a job each day without being pushed to be their best.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and don't settle for average people when recruiting. Continue to hire the best and we'll keep on growing!

I want to share my perspective and insight, as I near my 5 year anniversary with Commercial Energy.

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The time I’ve invested here has been rewarding and satisfying. My roles have taken me from the operational side to sales, so I’ve seen much of the interworkings. Training and work-flow can definitely be intensive, but the environment is fostering. Our industry is ever-changing, so you have to be able to adapt and think on the fly. My career with Commercial Energy has helped me grow on a personal and professional level. It’s a family business and it feels like it. But the quality of leadership and focus on employee development is what allows us to excel and be the biggest player in our market. Compensation is very competitive, and the extra incentives for your performance are a plus. On top of that, all employees receive an annual bonus and great health benefits. We work hard in the office, but the team outings allow us to relax and acknowledge our efforts. Commercial Energy strives to give back to our clients and the communities we serve. In fact, we have an annual Holiday Donation program for non-profits. Last year I was able to personally present a check for $7,600 to the charity of my choice, an organization focused on shelter and housing. This year, I hand-delivered $3,900 check to another worthy cause, one dedicated to literacy and gender equality in education. I’m very thankful for Commercial Energy’s generosity.

Cons

Commercial Energy will not be a perfect fit for everyone. We look to hire the best, and I enjoy working with the best. Management expects dedication, commitment, and results. The accountability factor is evident- each and every employee is expected to work hard and they reward you for doing so. What you put in, is what you get out. That’s a great feeling- knowing my work is making a direct impact on the company and our future success.

Extremely successful company with a CEO with an Elon Musk/Steve Jobs personality

Current Employee - Management in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CE is a little gem of a company. Where all other compete on prices, CE strives on explaining one on one the best options for their customers - that's the real way to save them money, and the smart differentiating advantage that CE has and that the competition can't replicate. This means that when you work for that company you can get a job for life. If you perform well they'll treat you like royalty, and you'll receive a share in the company's profit for the rest of your life.

Cons

Lots of reviews mention Ron Perry here. Give the guy a break! He's the reason you've had a job there. He and his wife worked hard to get where they are now and pay your salary. If you can do better than them, go ahead, criticize them all you want. BTW lots of people who worked for successful entrepreneurs like Musk and Jobs reported that they were difficult to work with, so what's the big deal about RP exactly? He's not going to mince his words and he's not hiding anything or hiding behind any one. If you can't deal with him, may be you want to ask yourself why. There may be a good lesson for you there! Oftentimes our greatest "enemies" are our greatest teachers. Remember the straw and the beam!

Advice to Management

Always look for new opportunities and the best in everyone!

Fake reviews

I worked at Commercial Energy

Pros

Read all of the reviews previously posted, for the very few pros.

Cons

Management is so concerned with their image that instead of working to fix the negatives about the company, they just add their own reviews. This place is a joke.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people and not teenagers and maybe they will stick around for longer. It is unfair to recruit people with a false sense of who you are. Stop posting fake reviews and fix the inner company issues that actual employees have written.

New Hire

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for about a week and the experience has been incredible. I came from a large company in a different industry, one of the reasons I was drawn to Commercial Energy was how innovative they were and how much my contributions would matter. There is a very specific reason for everything they do here. The hiring process is intense as they really do want the best people. Making it to the other side felt like a true achievement and one I want to take advantage of. My compensation is certainly fair and the growth potential is extremely exciting.

Cons

If you are not willing to work like crazy to get this job and make it through onboarding, which is about a month long process, this is not the job for you. They are looking for smart employees who are willing to put in the time. Expect 8 – 10 hour days.

Advice to Management

Be clear with your expectations as you have been with me and everything will take care of itself.

Small time company with a big attitude

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Commercial Energy full-time

Pros

The only upside to this company as a sales person is the commission income potential for Account Executives and slightly better than average healthcare offerings. Parking on site and great office interior.

Cons

This company has poor management style, the lack of upward mobility, low salaries with no raises, and an often tense work environment for the sales department.

Advice to Management

Management needs to all get on the same page with how to manage their employees. The sales team is treated very differently and managed as if they are little kids. There is a high level of distrust of employees, which leads to short term employment stints. Sales team hires rarely last more than six months at this company. Consider speaking with the CEO regarding his temper and inappropriate comments, as not everyone is allowed to act this same way. Lead by example. Much time is wasted with repeated stories and soapbox time by management. Sales people are best out making sales and interacting with their customers, allow them the freedom to suceed before you assume they will fail.

Fast Paced Company with Great Upside

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time

Pros

I have worked at Commercial Energy for almost 5 years now and if there is one thing to take away from my review it is this: if you are smart, determined, hard-working and have an outgoing, positive attitude you will do very well at this company. I am compensated very well for my position and I have achieved numerous promotions (and more importantly to me -significant pay increases) during my time at Commercial Energy. Like with any job there are Pros & Cons to working here, but in my experience the Pros have greatly outweighed any perceived Cons. Pros: very well compensated, great benefits, President's Club is fun, large and interesting client base, NOT boring!, working with incredibly intelligent people, small company so you get to learn about many facets of the business, the CEO has incredible business acumen so being around him everyday is like getting a free MBA, excellent training (onboarding) they definitely put you in a position to succeed, great coworkers, weekly happy hours/team outings

Cons

Not everyone will be a fit for this company. If you are shy, timid you most likely will not enjoy working here. It is incredibly fast-paced with very high standards and lots of accountability. If you prefer to sit at your desk without supervision or senior mgmt interaction you will not do well here. I have had my challenges with senior mgmt like many people have mentioned but if you speak to them candidly and directly about your issues they have been very open to resolving any issues and developing solutions to resolve them. They expect high levels of performance on a consistent basis so it can be stressful at times to keep up to expectations.

Advice to Management

Like Richard Branson once said, "Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they stay." Undoubtedly, you provide excellent training and make sure everyone becomes an expert in their field. I have grown so much in my career from the tools and experience I have received at Commercial Energy. Continue to consistently evaluate employee happiness/satisfaction to make sure your top-performing employees are staying motivated and challenged.

11. Great place to work and build your future

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People. Great Product. Great Company. Management holds employees- and themselves- to a very high standard. There is an ability to carve out a great career with good compensation- if you work hard for it.

Cons

Long hours- those who are looking to just skate by need not apply. Highly competitive industry, but CE presents solid products and services that keeps it competitive.

RSS Feed </> Embed