Commercial Energy of Montana

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.3

Ron Perry

Extremely successful company with a CEO with an Elon Musk/Steve Jobs personality

Current Employee - Management in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy of Montana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CE is a little gem of a company. Where all other compete on prices, CE strives on explaining one on one the best options for their customers - that's the real way to save them money, and the smart differentiating advantage that CE has and that the competition can't replicate. This means that when you work for that company you can get a job for life. If you perform well they'll treat you like royalty, and you'll receive a share in the company's profit for the rest of your life.

Cons

Lots of reviews mention Ron Perry here. Give the guy a break! He's the reason you've had a job there. He and his wife worked hard to get where they are now and pay your salary. If you can do better than them, go ahead, criticize them all you want. BTW lots of people who worked for successful entrepreneurs like Musk and Jobs reported that they were difficult to work with, so what's the big deal about RP exactly? He's not going to mince his words and he's not hiding anything or hiding behind any one. If you can't deal with him, may be you want to ask yourself why. There may be a good lesson for you there! Oftentimes our greatest "enemies" are our greatest teachers. Remember the straw and the beam!

Always look for new opportunities and the best in everyone!

Fake reviews

I worked at Commercial Energy of Montana

Pros

Read all of the reviews previously posted, for the very few pros.

Cons

Management is so concerned with their image that instead of working to fix the negatives about the company, they just add their own reviews. This place is a joke.

Treat your employees like people and not teenagers and maybe they will stick around for longer. It is unfair to recruit people with a false sense of who you are. Stop posting fake reviews and fix the inner company issues that actual employees have written.

New Hire

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy of Montana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for about a week and the experience has been incredible. I came from a large company in a different industry, one of the reasons I was drawn to Commercial Energy was how innovative they were and how much my contributions would matter.

There is a very specific reason for everything they do here. The hiring process is intense as they really do want the best people. Making it to the other side felt like a true achievement and one I want to take advantage of. My compensation is certainly fair and the growth potential is extremely exciting.

Cons

If you are not willing to work like crazy to get this job and make it through onboarding, which is about a month long process, this is not the job for you. They are looking for smart employees who are willing to put in the time. Expect 8 – 10 hour days.

Be clear with your expectations as you have been with me and everything will take care of itself.

Small time company with a big attitude

I worked at Commercial Energy of Montana full-time

Pros

The only upside to this company as a sales person is the commission income potential for Account Executives and slightly better than average healthcare offerings. Parking on site and great office interior.

Cons

This company has poor management style, the lack of upward mobility, low salaries with no raises, and an often tense work environment for the sales department.

Management needs to all get on the same page with how to manage their employees. The sales team is treated very differently and managed as if they are little kids. There is a high level of distrust of employees, which leads to short term employment stints. Sales team hires rarely last more than six months at this company. Consider speaking with the CEO regarding his temper and inappropriate comments, as not everyone is allowed to act this same way. Lead by example. Much time is wasted with repeated stories and soapbox time by management. Sales people are best out making sales and interacting with their customers, allow them the freedom to suceed before you assume
    they will fail.

Fast Paced Company with Great Upside

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Commercial Energy of Montana full-time

Pros

I have worked at Commercial Energy for almost 5 years now and if there is one thing to take away from my review it is this: if you are smart, determined, hard-working and have an outgoing, positive attitude you will do very well at this company. I am compensated very well for my position and I have achieved numerous promotions (and more importantly to me -significant pay increases) during my time at Commercial Energy. Like with any job there are Pros & Cons to working here, but in my experience the Pros have greatly outweighed any perceived Cons.

Pros: very well compensated, great benefits, President's Club is fun, large and interesting client base, NOT boring!, working with incredibly intelligent people, small company so you get to learn about many facets of the business, the CEO has incredible business acumen so being around him everyday is like getting a free MBA, excellent training (onboarding) they definitely put you in a position to succeed, great coworkers, weekly happy hours/team outings

Cons

Not everyone will be a fit for this company. If you are shy, timid you most likely will not enjoy working here. It is incredibly fast-paced with very high standards and lots of accountability. If you prefer to sit at your desk without supervision or senior mgmt interaction you will not do well here. I have had my challenges with senior mgmt like many people have mentioned but if you speak to them candidly and directly about your issues they have been very open to resolving any issues and developing solutions to resolve them. They expect high levels of performance on a consistent basis so it can be stressful at times to keep up to expectations.

Like Richard Branson once said, "Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they stay."

Undoubtedly, you provide excellent training and make sure everyone becomes an expert in their field. I have grown so much in my career from the tools and experience I have received at Commercial Energy. Continue to consistently evaluate employee happiness/satisfaction to make sure your top-performing employees are staying motivated and challenged.

If you respect yourself or career at all, steer clear of CE.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Commercial Energy of Montana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Candidly, it's difficult to find any pro during my time at CE.

Cons

Where to start...
    - Ron Perry, simply do all involved with CE a favor and step down. The infatuated stories, the outbursts on any and all employees, the way you actually treat people on a daily basis, the unbelievable ego, the lists can go over for quite some time. It was absolutely shocking to see anyone who has a drop of self respect work for this man. Shocking.

- Work/Life balance... be prepared to work some long hours 7-6 is the typical day. For the pay, not nearly worth it.

-Career Advancement... what career advancement? Don't be fooled by this con, it's a Mom and Pop shop turned self proclaimed 'leader' in the space.

Overall, the company is brutal to work for. If you haven't gotten the hint by the 3 stage interview process, with each taking several hours... run while you still can.

I don't think there is one piece of advice to give.. company is so far gone with this self proclaimed 'leader' at the helm. There is a reason why no one can stay at this company for longer than a few months. When treated so poorly, ears bleeding from the outlandish and obviously inflated stories told constantly, it truly was a nightmare of a workplace.

I wouldn't wish the experience of working at CE on my worst enemy.

Only one thing wrong with working there, the CEO.

I worked at Commercial Energy of Montana

Pros

Company makes money. Training was good. Benefits were good. Cool people work there. Presidents club was cool.

Cons

CEO is a egomaniac & control freak who treats people like he owns them. Only reason he doesn't get fired is because he owns the company.

Stop writing such glowing reviews about yourself in Glassdoor.
    Treat people better.
    Trade the Old Man and the Sea for 'The 21 irrefutable laws of leadership', specifically Law #1.

Commercial Energy of Montana Response

Aug 21, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your opinion on the company and the CEO.
    Commercial Energy is a place for passionate people, not only for their own success, but also passionate about seeing and being part of the
    ... More

Disciplined place to build a career

I have been working at Commercial Energy of Montana full-time

Pros

Fulfilling to know your work and your effort matter to management every day. They give all the help you ask for. Competitors business practices are really proving that the integrity CE has is the right way to preserve customers and grow even more. Plenty of new products to grow their market share even more.

Cons

If you want to work in a corner and avoid oversight, this is not for you.

While you seek perfection, some times very good is good enough.

Do not be fooled by these reviews. Most were posted by the management team to make them look better than they are.

I have been working at Commercial Energy of Montana

Pros

Great industry, offering is best in class and at a premium. With the right management this company could be much better.

Cons

Read any review that does not recommend to a friend and you will be seeing an employee or ex-employee review. The rest are all management influenced inputs.

With the new commodity pricing we will have a difficult time getting and keeping customers without a new offering.

Good place to cut your teeth

I worked at Commercial Energy of Montana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to start out. They teach you about the market and the methodology. If your a new grad or switching careers this might be a good fit. trust me after a few years you'll know the business inside and out because you've probably have done every job there is. Also the people are great and fun and there's always a lot of company outtings. I know when i left the thing i missed the most was the relationships with former colleagues. Another good thing is that if you are competent and really want to be take the bull by the horns you can definitely make your own future there. I've had many promotions and raises and i definitely credit CE with helping me to get to where I am today.

Cons

Long hours is definitely one of them. Like i said before if you're new to the industry or a college grad with no family this is the place, but otherwise you're looking at least 10 hours+ the compensation while good is not nearly as good as a bigger firm. lets just say that the hours i will work this year is a magnitude less than CE and more pay and better benefits. Another down side is the CEO which has a little temper issue. I've always used this example, Ron and Barb are like your parents. they want you to succeed and be fruitful but they just don't know how to show it sometimes. Ron definitely has an anger issue but the company is his baby so i understand. And just like you're parents, you love them but you gotta move out sooner or later.

Control. Take a deep breath and relax. Be consistent in your discipline when you do it and don't over do it. People there are loyal to you and the company but there's always a line. Don't blame the employees all the time you guys need to be a little bit more hubris in your ways. other than that keep up the good work.

Commercial Energy of Montana Photos

CE has a bunch of fun folks. This is a Halloween tradition
Ron and Barb celebrating their success.

+ Add Photo