Commissionaires

Updated January 28, 2015
3.1

Commissionaires Executive Director J. Douglas Briscoe
J. Douglas Briscoe

in comparison to others In terms of providing employment for security guards .

Current Employee - Security Guard in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires part-time (less than a year)

Pros

1.Uniforms look good and they provide a wide variety of accessories (i.e. coats, winter hats, tie clips, and belts) that are of good quality.
    2.Management seems professional and treats you with respect and dignity.
    3. Co-workers are mostly senior citizens who usually have some cool stories/life-advice to share with you.
    4.Also the sites are very clean and usually indoor (being mostly government institutions).

** Great for young students looking for flexible hours and senior citizens trying to supplement their retirement income.

Cons

1.Low pay with no benefits.
    2.Still a boring job that is not very challenging meaning you develop very little skill from the job.
    3. NOT A CAREER CHOICE!

** I know this might sound judgmental but as a young person nothing makes you feel worse than knowing you share the same job duties with a +70 year old.

Having worked for private security companies in the past I really don't have much to say other than keep up the good work. In my opinion there are private security companies and then there is the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires.

Terrible company

Current Employee - Security Guard in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires

Pros

There are no pros. This company is garbage

Cons

Pay sucks, night shifts don't pay premium, an untrained monkey could do this job, terrible management, supervisors don't even know who work for them, no ladder to climb, lack of respect from public

Treat your employees better, offer raises, better pay, get to know employees instead of treating them like a #, offer job development, offer opportunities for growth. If someone works as a security guard for you that has a university degree and held a high rank in the army then put them in a position that suits their education/background don't throw them in with people who just have high shool and no military experience.

NOT FOR LONG TERM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CEO & COO are the best gentlemen to work for. Very understanding. You cannot ask for better head bosses. These 2 gentlemen have my respect 110%.

Cons

Some contract managers need to keep their comments to themselves. Not be your so-called friend one minute, and be your enemy the next.
    Some detachment commanders are to young. Some like giving guys s*$t, but not the girls.

You are getting more and more civilians than vets. You need to look at better compensations. EX: short term disability, & pension. This way you would have more long term staff. Like myself. The (one reason) why I left, is there is no pension. Otherwise I would still be there.

this company is the worst

Former Employee - Supervisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

? no pros,,,nothing good to say about this company

Cons

over sexed old men,,,,,disrespect women,,,,lairs,,,,,,,crooks,,,,,,,sexual harassment ,,,,,treat you like crap

start giving bonuses to people that deserve it NOT MANAGEMENT,,,,quit putting all the profits in managements pockets,,,,other employees used to get bonuses not no more,,,,,the corp office in calgary sucks need better management need better human resourses i reported sexual harassment and the hr guy ken said its pretty much my word against them,,,,,i also reported it to the assistant manager at the airport they fired him,,,,,,,never got further then him......they sweep things under the rug ,,,,,,treat minorities like crap not racist ya right ive heard it right from the horses mouth

baddddddddddd company to work for

Current Employee - Security Guard in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the pay is good that is it

Cons

people sleep on the job all the time, I asked a transfer and they fired me, poor commissionaires they should choose their employees more, people are bad sleep sleep or they dont come in to work. Very bad atmosphere.

none whatsoever

Excellent Management, training.

Current Employee - Security Guard in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer excellent training, upgrades and opportunities. Variety of places to work, usually never a shortage of hours. Benefit plan, uniforms. Company pays half of your license fee. Senior Management is very involved with training.

Cons

-You don't get many sick days per year compared to other employers. If you work 40 hrs/week, you only get 5 sick days for the year. If you have many health issues at all, you'll have to apply for EI.

-Shift work

Increase sick day credits to match other companies.
    Offer higher pay for shift work jobs
    Give employees more opportunities to balance work/life (swing shifts can be hard on the health when you work one day shift, one day off, two night shifts, two days off. Some people may like to work all nights and others all days depending on their needs)

Great Job, but not a Career.

Current Employee - Security Guard
    Current Employee - Security Guard

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Commissionaires is great for students. I joined in 2008 and was able to completely pay for my post secondary education. They pay above the industry average and offer decent benefits, offer free training, and provide free uniforms. They have flexible hours and many posts allow the use of a laptop during evening/overnight/weekend shifts which helped me to study while at work. Overall they are a great company to work for, but don't be fooled into thinking you can make a career out of it.

Cons

Management behaves in a sort of old boys club fashion, if you are not in tight with someone in upper management there is little hope for any real advancement. I have witnessed first hand poor management tactics such as claiming to be a bilingual company and then not making the training or memorandums available in both official languages. I have seen several coworkers, who's first language is French, branded as incompetent workers because management refused or were unable to offer training or health and safety information in both languages. As a result, my coworkers would have difficulty understanding the information and putting it into practice.

Good professional company to work for.

Current Employee - Security Guard in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They attempt to take care of their people.

Cons

Salaries are better than average for the industry but still not great.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Commissionaires in Kingston, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Commissionaires in Kingston, ON (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Well managed, friendy people, open door policy or just pick up the phone. Plenty of work if you want it and room to advance.very team driven, I am able to learn many essential skills with software tools I will use throughout my career. The people were the best part of this company with many of them always happy and encouraging

Cons

None that i can see

Keep up the good work

excellent to start or finish a carrier

Current Employee - Security Guard in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy to fit in, no thinker job, employs abour everybody with a high school diploma,

Cons

impossible to climb up the ladder, lower management tends to be tyrannic, no benifits paid at all, no guaranteed hours and/or salary, whatever is your strength and/or education will be ignored,

Should read resume and use strengths and8or education of it's employees, should evaluate supervisors and employees to know theiur assets and optimize them, shoul treat its employees with more respect, should determines objectives more accurtely AND tell them to its employees, should have a more business knowledgeable management