Commissionaires Reviews

Reset
Commissionaires Executive Director J. Douglas Briscoe
J. Douglas Briscoe

1. Caring and wonderful team of people

Former Employee - Director of Training in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director of Training in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working at CGL, I met compassionate, caring and wonderful individuals who aim to make a difference in the lives of those they teach and employ and those they protect. Great place to work!

Cons

No parking available on site but some within walking distance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the meaningful work you do every day.

Area Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and the work is good, Canada's premiere security firm

Cons

Pay Model outdated - based on ex-military receiving a pension with the Commissionaires acting as a top up.

Advice to Management

Negotiate for a better wage

3. Good culture, great image - bad management!

Former Employee - Security Guard in Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires

Pros

- Military culture
    - Good uniforms and plenty of parts
    - Good training
    - Plenty of sites
    - Sites are mostly in-doors
    - Helpful office staff
    - Great for part-timers, veterans, police and other former law enforcement officers
    - Get to meet plenty of former LE/Military professionals who have a lot of life stories and advice to share
    - Good opportunity for low level law enforcement jobs - RCMP Gaoler and Level 1 Bylaw positions
    - Employee incentive programs
    - Benefits for full-timer employees
    - Good opportunities to move up since someone is always retiring for good.
    - Most sites had great teams of people to work with.

Cons

- Unreasonable expectations at some sites
    - Company takes on way too many contracts and does not hire enough staff to fill them
    - Lots of work in the spring/ summer, but no work in fall/winter. Only former LE/Military remain full-time
      employed during the off-season. (which is fair I guess as that is their mandate).
    - Dispatchers and management beyond overloaded. It's so bad they have to put on uniforms
       themselves to fill contract site obligations.
    - Made a lot of empty promises
    - Management insensitive to front line employees issues at some sites
    - Lost "First Right To Bid" which means the Commissionaires lost a lot of good sites to competitors.
    - Too much macro management and not enough micro management.
    - Too much politics in the office, it's out of control.

Advice to Management

- Treat front line staff better and listen to them
    - Stop going out of control when it comes to acquiring contracts
    - Stop with the current amount of office politics
    - Hire more dispatchers to handle employee and contract volumes, communications and schedules
    - Stop with the empty promises of full-time work year around to seasonal staff

Great starter job, but wouldn't stay forever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was a great job fresh out of school as it allowed me the opportunity to play with many technologies that a fresh person might not get to do (full VDI implementation, New server provisioning, remote office installations, DR planning, etc...)

Cons

Due to the nature of the work and the mandate to hire veterans there is a very military culture in the organization. While not bad per say, I found it was hard having people just running around for the executive without ever questioning why they might want to implement ideas without asking questions from the people doing the actual jobs.

6. Mobile Support member

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is an organization that is well received suggests and recommendations, showing your skills to develop a big part of your professional activity. Also, an important factor is that the organization i growing, and always is a good new for everybody that are generating opportunities almost all the time.

Cons

It is an organization that competes in unequal conditions in its market, maybe because its origin: "the company that absorbs veterans of the Canadian Forces." Perhaps it is a factor against when competes with other security-guard companies, in activities that are traditionally oriented to security-guard companies: condominiums, certain professional - office buildings, and so forth. Other companies arrived before, however CGL has an important database of this kind of customers.

Advice to Management

Keep going. Trying to make development of all the sectors that the organization is still not "marketable".
    Maintain currents guidelines and parameters in the internal courses.

Terrible Work Environment

Former Employee - Security Guard in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to find any here

Cons

Mostly mysogynistic, oversexed older men who love to bully women (coworkers). The ex-military ones tend to be worse.

Incredibly rude, unprofessional employees who seem to be born in a barn, and make up rumors to try to get coworkers fired, or in trouble. Teamwork is rare in most security posts. I worked at 115 buildings, on-call, so I saw alot of despicable behaviour towards coworkers, not including myself, especially if you are there to fill in for absent guards.

I was actually told by coworkers that I should be at home, cooking and cleaning (I am female), and my male coworkers even asked me to do a striptease on a nightshift.

If you're a woman, I highly recommend staying away, unless if you really can't find other employment. Sexual harassment will be dismissed or laughed off by management.

Advice to Management

Start hiring more civilian workers who actually need the job and money, and want to work, and stop hiring ex-military guards who already have big pensions, do not need the money and do not want to work. Their lack of teamwork (ex-military) and barking orders just creates a negative work environment.

Welcome back to playground bullying.

Former Employee - Peace Officer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Peace Officer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros unless you are desperate to work for this company.

Cons

Vets are old men and women that are racist. No training except for your basic security licence. theft fraud and corruption at most big sites. Management hires ex military officers who think they are still in the army. No dress and deportment. The Corp takes 30% of your wages to run the business ie 6 figure salaries for management. Bad supervisors are rewarded, employees fired.

Advice to Management

Drop the not for profit status and pay employees a rate you would expect for a "Premier Security company". Stop advertising for Veterans and RCMP because you treat them like dirt. Unless you were an ex officer then your in.

9. Decent entry level position

Current Employee - Security Guard
    Current Employee - Security Guard

I have been working at Commissionaires

Pros

Nothing difficult, little experience needed to join

Cons

Terrible hours and middle management

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to performance by site supervisors

10. in comparison to others In terms of providing employment for security guards .

Current Employee - Security Guard in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1.Uniforms look good and they provide a wide variety of accessories (i.e. coats, winter hats, tie clips, and belts) that are of good quality.
    2.Management seems professional and treats you with respect and dignity.
    3. Co-workers are mostly senior citizens who usually have some cool stories/life-advice to share with you.
    4.Also the sites are very clean and usually indoor (being mostly government institutions).

** Great for young students looking for flexible hours and senior citizens trying to supplement their retirement income.

Cons

1.Low pay with no benefits.
    2.Still a boring job that is not very challenging meaning you develop very little skill from the job.
    3. NOT A CAREER CHOICE!

** I know this might sound judgmental but as a young person nothing makes you feel worse than knowing you share the same job duties with a +70 year old.

Advice to Management

Having worked for private security companies in the past I really don't have much to say other than keep up the good work. In my opinion there are private security companies and then there is the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires.

11. Terrible company

Current Employee - Security Guard in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires

Pros

There are no pros. This company is garbage

Cons

Pay sucks, night shifts don't pay premium, an untrained monkey could do this job, terrible management, supervisors don't even know who work for them, no ladder to climb, lack of respect from public

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, offer raises, better pay, get to know employees instead of treating them like a #, offer job development, offer opportunities for growth. If someone works as a security guard for you that has a university degree and held a high rank in the army then put them in a position that suits their education/background don't throw them in with people who just have high shool and no military experience.

RSS Feed </> Embed