Commonwealth-Altadis

Updated January 18, 2015
2.9

Commonwealth-Altadis President & CEO Kevin Freudenthal
Kevin Freudenthal

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits which were further enhanced in 2014 (in 17 reviews)

• Terrific benefits package, a raerity these days (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to balance work/family life because of demanding upper management (in 18 reviews)

• Second, we are told that supporting the sales force is our first priority (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Not Perfect, but who is?

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of working at CA is your co-workers care about each other, and most everyone is looking out for the best interests of the company and not just themselves.

Cons

Some challenges are trying to integrate the best practices of the parent company ITG with the local practices. It has been a slow, steady progross over the years.

Continue to communicate integration news as soon as available. Even though it is not always positive, it is always appreciated to hear from CA before hearing or reading news through other sources.

We can't get new manager's fast enough

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My co-workers,I really like this industry.
    Some of our items are really solid.

Cons

Me and my co-worker's would love to
    Work here if we had a different ASM and
    SM.You have one who is totally lost and the other that is so out of his mind that we
    Are just all in a bad situation.We have some TM's in our area that will hopefully
    Get promoted when the merge takes place as there are some that are being looked over because the SM can't control them.
    He hired a yes sir for a manager which really hurts the rest of us.We need somebody in place that has been in our shoes and has experience being a TM for the company.

I know that corp office reads these and
    Kevin needs to take a hard look on who
    Is getting promoted and more importantly
    Which hard working employees are NOT.

Getting Screwed

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis

Pros

Good people in the field, good product line and hopefully inheriting the Lorillard home office at some point next year.

Cons

Bonus Structures,
     Corporate politics, especially in the promotion process
    Operations and the management of decline rather than a push for growth seems to be the philosophy.

Don't have two bonus structures one for Management, Home Office and the like and one for the sales force. When the team that delivers the sales #'s with a lack of support from the home office it causes a major drop in morale. Those that are part of the CMG team get 21% bonus and the people who delivered it only get 12% because the finance and marketing teams denied requests for support to make the numbers. Sales people love money more than extravagant meetings. You also continue to promote people that are undeserving and lack the right experience for the positions to which they have been promoted. Yet upper management does not have the balls to humble themselves and admit to mistakes.

Darts thrown randomly at a board have more direction than this company

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company car, 401k, vacation days, retirement, pay, and great co workers outside of upper management.

Cons

Good old boy network, no advancement work horses are let go why butt kisses move up. Absolutely no direction or professional guidance.

Replace yourself to help the company

Internship

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Commonwealth-Altadis as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Being an international company, there are many opportunities to grow within the USA and outside. It was my first time in a manufacturing environment, and I had a great manager, very patient and knowledgeable. I would recommend this company to anyone any future interns - it's not one of those companies they ask you to make coffee, but I learnt a lot. Employees went to lunch together all the time and no talk of work allowed then:) A close unit besides the below I have included.

Cons

I found that women were not in higher positions within the factory. I also sensed a friction between the international employees vs the USA employees. In this particular location I interned, there were not many opportunities, in fact jobs were dwindling.

I would suggest to not have such separation - internationals vs domestic employees. Being an intern, I could tell the internationals felt they knew it all, had done it all from other factories imperial tobacco owns, while the Americans had an attitude of, we know it all, we are the Americans. To management, as tough as it may have seemed, there was a common goal, for the betterment of the company and everyone involved, so get everyone on board.

Less than helpful

Current Employee - Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair salary, several people are nice, hard work here can pay off

Cons

It can be stressful. Training is really lacking, very poor communication between departments, many departments have incompetent personnel. We have huge problems paying our customers correctly and on time. We have the wrong marketing focus on many of our brands. Our focus on growing the business is way off in my opinion (poor coverage, wrong portfolio direction, payment issues, complex systems, etc.)

Please at least pretend you're working. Answer your phones and e-mails once in a while. Plan something other than another restructure please.

Territory Manager

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the people I worked along side of

Cons

My boss was a sexist and no one in upper management cared...good old boys club

Has Potential. Good People for the most part.

Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Flexible. Work-life balance.

Cons

Very cheap with funding.
    It doesn't feel like loyalty is appreciated.
    No follow through with initiatives.
    Full of yes men.
    Many employees feel entitled to be demanding because of seniority.

Take time to evaluate the results of your strategies before switching them every quarter.
    People believe there's potential for future success.

It has more ups than downs. Fast Pace Company with alot of potential.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome.
    The people are the best at what they do
    The company itself has a few obstacles to over come, but it is coming together.
    We've got Blu
    Company is pretty open about what is going on
    Open community where there is a lot of departmental partnership
    Long hours but you feel satusfied at the end of the day.
    Each team has a good demographic. No cattiness
    Beautiful place to work from the building to the office spaces.
    Gym
    HR Programs promoting health and wellness.

Cons

Training is limited, but available depending on the your role
    Technology needs a major overhaul
    You get out what you put in. Not enough investment in the right tools.
    Don't ask for feedback if nothing will be done
    Alot of people are taking up space and not working towards the final goal of the company
    Attitudes and Entitlement run wild
    T-Mobile
    Too many Pre-Madonnas in the sales force

Listen to the team. We all want to be here and want what is best for the comany. Utilize the talent that you have and get rid of the dead weight.
    More education on the different brands and the business would be good for non sales reps.
    Marketing is off the wall and not focused on every day smokers, such as those who work for the company

I ONLY WISH I COULD BE A BUTT KISSER TOO...

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have sat here thinking about the Pros for awhile now... Quite frankly, the only pro that I can think of is that I get a check every 2 weeks. Other than that. This place is a perfect example of how not to run a company.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with reality and what is going on in the field. In the over 6 years I have been here I have received less than 3 competitive activity reports. We are constantly beating a dead horse and running in circles. We price ourselves out of every category we are in. The one great thing we HAD going for us was our service, rapport and pride. Now we have no consistencey whatsoever in our retailer or wholesaler agreements. We constantly push items on our customers that they don't want only to have them sit there until the next slow item is pushed down their throat and we exchange them out. We now have resorted to begging customers to take our products and when they do and ask when we will be back to visit .... we have no idea because we can only go where our so-called managers determine by giving us a list of accounts. We are still not in major wholesalers so even if you like our products good luck trying to find them. If we do get them in a store and get a following through discounting and merchandising of hard working sales people, within the next couple of months we'll screw that up too by either not visiting our loyal retailers and or not continuing value discounting and moving on. What a mess.

The only way it will get better is if all management is replaced. They have mostly only got their jobs by kissing butt. Un qualified, illiterate enforcers for the dictator Sales GUY who only promotes his henchman.

Commonwealth-Altadis Photos