Commonwealth-Altadis Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

Commonwealth-Altadis President & CEO Kevin Freudenthal
Kevin Freudenthal

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits which were further enhanced in 2014 (in 15 reviews)

• Terrific benefits package, a raerity these days (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to balance work/family life because of demanding upper management (in 17 reviews)

• The whole entire face of the company changed when Imperial Tobacco bought it (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good plans but must be more efficient communicating and engaging with the employees

Current Employee - NON-SALES MANAGER  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - NON-SALES MANAGER in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits. Great compensation. People are able and willing to engage. There's potential for growth in the market and to achieve success.
    Work-life balance is fine (at least on my department).
    We are clear that we must do our best to support the sales force (from my department, I can say that is the main focus. Can't speak for others).

Cons

My intention here is not to be cynical or negative in any way. However, there are some facts that need attention:

First, There's no oversight on work practices such as methodologies, projects performance and standards.

Second, we are told that supporting the sales force is our first priority. That is understood and we (outside finance and marketing) are more than willing and able. However, our hands are very tied as we either don't have clear direction or such direction is changed every week. We hear the frustration from the sales force and we want to help as much as we can but are not given TRUE SUPPORT FROM SENIOR LEADERSHIP. Especially FINANCE, WHO TRANSLATE BEING 'COST CONSCIOUS' to MINIMAL INVESTMENT. All they seem to focus is the financial systems that provide data.

Third, the mentality of 'mom & pop' shop is still present in many departments. That translates into disorganized, "do as I say, not as I do" MO. It also means that many departments don't want to spend time ANALYZING CAUSE AND EFFECT of their initiatives and they just tend to make decisions on the fly which CREATES A REACTIVE Environment and it has materialized into a vicious circle that NO ONE IS WILLING TO ADDRESS.

Lastly, THERE'S NO ENCOURAGEMENT FROM LEADERSHIP FOR CURRENT EMPLOYEES WITH THE NEW ACQUISITION OF LORILLARD. WE DON'T FEEL VALUED AND FEAR THAT WE ARE PROBABLY NOT GOING TO KEEP OUR JOBS.

WE KNOW WHAT THE MAIN GOALS ARE: INCREASE MARKET SHARE: (that's the end in mind, which requires a lot of support from ALL FUNCTIONS, but they need the autonomy to perform in order to succeed).

If you ask for your employees to provide feedback. PAY ATTENTION. Don't just have your corporate comms team to 'encourage' people to come to glassdoor to provide it. What is being said here, needs attention.

FOLLOW best practices already established within the ITG realm such as Standard Methodologies.

More importantly: TAKE THE TIME TO DO SOME OVERSIGHT and analysis of the directives given to all business areas.
    There is A LOT of disconnect.
    Many departments (including mine), feel like we are just THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS and not partners who can be taken seriously or into account for company strategies and the support of them. There's this bad habit of establishing a strategy and just expect to have YES MEN outside the non-sales and marketing leadership.

It has more ups than downs. Fast Pace Company with alot of potential.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are awesome.
    The people are the best at what they do
    The company itself has a few obstacles to over come, but it is coming together.
    We've got Blu
    Company is pretty open about what is going on
    Open community where there is a lot of departmental partnership
    Long hours but you feel satusfied at the end of the day.
    Each team has a good demographic. No cattiness
    Beautiful place to work from the building to the office spaces.
    Gym
    HR Programs promoting health and wellness.

Cons

Training is limited, but available depending on the your role
    Technology needs a major overhaul
    You get out what you put in. Not enough investment in the right tools.
    Don't ask for feedback if nothing will be done
    Alot of people are taking up space and not working towards the final goal of the company
    Attitudes and Entitlement run wild
    T-Mobile
    Too many Pre-Madonnas in the sales force

Listen to the team. We all want to be here and want what is best for the comany. Utilize the talent that you have and get rid of the dead weight.
    More education on the different brands and the business would be good for non sales reps.
    Marketing is off the wall and not focused on every day smokers, such as those who work for the company

Has Potential. Good People for the most part.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits. Flexible. Work-life balance.

Cons

Very cheap with funding.
    It doesn't feel like loyalty is appreciated.
    No follow through with initiatives.
    Full of yes men.
    Many employees feel entitled to be demanding because of seniority.

Take time to evaluate the results of your strategies before switching them every quarter.
    People believe there's potential for future success.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Here we go again!

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, great people for the most part

Cons

Constant change in direction from management

They only do as they're told.

We need change at the Asm/SM level
    In some areas-Lack of skills leadership

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've always liked this industry and my
    Co workers and the type of work that
    I do.

Cons

Since the merge between cigarette and
    Cigar some management that were put
    Into place has been a joke.i know some
    TMS that were passed over for promotion and given to some that you
    Just are dumbfounded on how these people got these jobs.Who do they know The motto should be no exp
    No problem we will hire you anyway
    As long as you say YES SIR.
    We have a manager with very little exp
    No management skills , can't deal
    With store owners ,doesn't know any
    Of our contracts or prices or any competitive info.Changes everything you do in retail because they know better then you even though you have
    About 15 years more exp then your manager.They just wanted a puppet
    To do the dirty work for the bossman.
    Hopefully some of these so called managers will be called out at some
    Point and some of these position will
    Be given to people who have worked
    So hard and have been though all the
    Ups and downs with the company
    This deal with lorillard can't come
    Fast enough.You know there will be changes and hopefully we can get
    The right people in the right places because it is not working now.

Please interview your TMs at some
    Point and ask them for honesty about
    Any problems and promise them
    That nobody will try to take their job
    Away if they tell you what's really going
    On in some areas.

Total Disorganization; departments don't work together as a team

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation is reasonable, although benefits and bonus get worse every year. People are nice, but not too helpful.

Cons

* I've been here for several years, but don't recall getting any training of any kind.
    * We only focus on "new distribution" with total disregard for how we look at store level or any planning whatsoever to help actually turn our products in most markets; everything is based on a spreadsheet.
    *Our cigarette agreements are not competitive; we fight for poor space with the worst tools.
    *Our sales methods are to give a bunch of money to "load the trade" to distributors who do nothing for us in return and not at retail where we can reap the rewards if we do it properly.
    *No one seems to care about the alarming amount of out-of-date product in nearly every market at store level.
    *Health insurance has gone from free to approx. $500.00 monthly premium payment; no merit raise provided last few years; bonuses 1/3 of what they used to be.
    *Workload has quadrupled since last lay-off. No one seems to care, or seems to want to help.
    *Our finance department is awful - our methods to actually pay our customers is outrageous. Payments are often delayed. Our system is not functional; internally we can't pay our customers properly.
    *No one is saying it, but most of us firmly believe there will be upcoming assessments with the Lorillard integration; CA folks feel very threatened. Not only do we not have the training that Lorillard folks have; our field reputation is not as strong thanks to our ridiculous marketing programs, terribly pathetic agreements, and difficulties paying our accounts. I guess I'll be fighting for my career survival here for the 3rd time in 3 years.
    *We have nearly as many HQ personnel as in the field. That can't be a winning formula.
    *I don't believe the development directors & trade marketing really understand our obstacles at store level. We have a whole BI department that doesn't know the full story of competitive agreements and pricing. Field personnel know much more about the marketplace than our Trade Marketing and BI departments. How are these departments functioning when they don't have any intelligence for what is happening in the market?

...the integration couldn't be occurring at a better time. The new organizational needs:
    *Supreme focus on training. For this to work, we need to be best in trade with our marketplace knowledge. We're going against marketplace giants, we need to out think and out sell them at every opportunity. We can only do that by knowing all competitive agreements, buydowns, having answers, role-playing, etc. We need a Training boot camp and we need to be battle ready.
    *Knowing our competitor flaws - how can we take advantage?
    *Cleaning up the systems. We need to be able to pay our customers. The current situation is not excusable.
    *Right sizing us - we need a balanced structure. We need LEADERS for our new structure, not just folks that have been around a while or know someone.
    *More focus on product quality - let's take pride at retail that our products are fresh, in the best position, and merchandised as best as possible to sell. Let's upgrade our POS options for the new brands. We need to stand out.
    *take Best of the Best. We certainly need to have the strongest of both companies.

A sinking ship in rough waters

Former Employee - Territory Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits such as car, 401k, pay and vacations are good, but diminishing.

Cons

Poor leadership and no direction. They keep reinventing themselves and repackaging and rebranding the same products over and over. No real vision

Go back to the old Commonwealth ways of doing business with grit, hard work, relationships and great people who work and achieve results instead of the new educated yes men who tell you what you want to here

Just dont, unless your a masochist.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company car, 401k match, paycheck never bounced.

Cons

Where does one begin? The cons start at 8am and dont stop until 5pm.

Fire yourselves and hire monkeys to do your job. At least they can fling poo which is more productive than what you have done.

Constantly playing catch up

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

company car, pay is pretty competitive, and benefits are solid (matching 401k), standard territory management job, no real surprises day to day

Cons

leadership is spotty, most managers micro-manage their people, no one is on the same page, constantly changing focus, there are very few chances for advancement if you do not have a sponsor, you are given the bonus structure over halfway through the year and low and behold you did not achieve the the bonus for the first half on the year,

If there is a new trend coming along; be on the forefront, not the last one to the party. Promote based on reputation, experience, and merit; not silly roleplaying games.

Over 2 years as a Territory Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are good; 401k and insurance

Cons

Constant stress from ever changing goals and objectives. Expect to work 50 hours per week or more.
    Territory Managers are expected to wok 40 hours in the field and every other task (administrative) is done beyond those 40 hours. You will considered expendable and thought of as the bottom of the food chain.
    Yes management did send a notice to select people, encouraging them to post positive comments.

You have no idea what the customer really thinks of our company. Listen to the Field Sales team!
    And to the Marketing team--We know that you work hard!!-- So do we!! The customers expect everything yesterday, so that is why we need it ASAP!! Maybe consider some wage increases this year.

Worked for Commonwealth-Altadis? Contribute to the Community!