Commonwealth-Altadis

Updated November 24, 2014
2.9

Commonwealth-Altadis President & CEO Kevin Freudenthal
Kevin Freudenthal

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits which were further enhanced in 2014 (in 17 reviews)

• Terrific benefits package, a raerity these days (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to balance work/family life because of demanding upper management (in 18 reviews)

• Second, we are told that supporting the sales force is our first priority (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Internship

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Commonwealth-Altadis as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Being an international company, there are many opportunities to grow within the USA and outside. It was my first time in a manufacturing environment, and I had a great manager, very patient and knowledgeable. I would recommend this company to anyone any future interns - it's not one of those companies they ask you to make coffee, but I learnt a lot. Employees went to lunch together all the time and no talk of work allowed then:) A close unit besides the below I have included.

Cons

I found that women were not in higher positions within the factory. I also sensed a friction between the international employees vs the USA employees. In this particular location I interned, there were not many opportunities, in fact jobs were dwindling.

I would suggest to not have such separation - internationals vs domestic employees. Being an intern, I could tell the internationals felt they knew it all, had done it all from other factories imperial tobacco owns, while the Americans had an attitude of, we know it all, we are the Americans. To management, as tough as it may have seemed, there was a common goal, for the betterment of the company and everyone involved, so get everyone on board.

Less than helpful

Current Employee - Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair salary, several people are nice, hard work here can pay off

Cons

It can be stressful. Training is really lacking, very poor communication between departments, many departments have incompetent personnel. We have huge problems paying our customers correctly and on time. We have the wrong marketing focus on many of our brands. Our focus on growing the business is way off in my opinion (poor coverage, wrong portfolio direction, payment issues, complex systems, etc.)

Please at least pretend you're working. Answer your phones and e-mails once in a while. Plan something other than another restructure please.

Management keeps getting worse

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like my co workers and the tobacco
    Industry-it's a crazy bussiness but
    I love it.No single day is the same.

Cons

As this company is going to get a lot bigger and will split up Fmc and MMC
    They need to put the right people in
    The right places.You can't put Cigarette people in management for cigars or the other way around or promoting your
    Friends because it will fail big time
    When we merge the best people need to be promoted and not just be handed a management position.What a lot
    Of current CA people are worried about is the management from the other company that will merge in as they
    Are so over the top as far as being
    Unreasonable and ruthless
    This is a big concern.Look at some of
    Your existing reps and promote those
    Hard working loyal people and don't
    Hand jobs to people because they
    Think they are entitled to them.

Take a hard look at hard working TMS
    Within and let them move up and grow with CA.if you continue to overlook these people you will lose them and be
    Left with incompetent managers that
    Will ruin the business.Get rid of the butt kissers and the managers who are puppets that just say yes sir and get some people who have good ideas and have the guts to speak up and move the business in the right direction
    As some in management are killing
    Morale and the spirit of good TMS

Territory Manager

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the people I worked along side of

Cons

My boss was a sexist and no one in upper management cared...good old boys club

Good plans but must be more efficient communicating and engaging with the employees

Current Employee - NON-SALES MANAGER in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - NON-SALES MANAGER in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Great compensation. People are able and willing to engage. There's potential for growth in the market and to achieve success.
    Work-life balance is fine (at least on my department).
    We are clear that we must do our best to support the sales force (from my department, I can say that is the main focus. Can't speak for others).

Cons

My intention here is not to be cynical or negative in any way. However, there are some facts that need attention:

First, There's no oversight on work practices such as methodologies, projects performance and standards.

Second, we are told that supporting the sales force is our first priority. That is understood and we (outside finance and marketing) are more than willing and able. However, our hands are very tied as we either don't have clear direction or such direction is changed every week. We hear the frustration from the sales force and we want to help as much as we can but are not given TRUE SUPPORT FROM SENIOR LEADERSHIP. Especially FINANCE, WHO TRANSLATE BEING 'COST CONSCIOUS' to MINIMAL INVESTMENT. All they seem to focus is the financial systems that provide data.

Third, the mentality of 'mom & pop' shop is still present in many departments. That translates into disorganized, "do as I say, not as I do" MO. It also means that many departments don't want to spend time ANALYZING CAUSE AND EFFECT of their initiatives and they just tend to make decisions on the fly which CREATES A REACTIVE Environment and it has materialized into a vicious circle that NO ONE IS WILLING TO ADDRESS.

Lastly, THERE'S NO ENCOURAGEMENT FROM LEADERSHIP FOR CURRENT EMPLOYEES WITH THE NEW ACQUISITION OF LORILLARD. WE DON'T FEEL VALUED AND FEAR THAT WE ARE PROBABLY NOT GOING TO KEEP OUR JOBS.

WE KNOW WHAT THE MAIN GOALS ARE: INCREASE MARKET SHARE: (that's the end in mind, which requires a lot of support from ALL FUNCTIONS, but they need the autonomy to perform in order to succeed).

If you ask for your employees to provide feedback. PAY ATTENTION. Don't just have your corporate comms team to 'encourage' people to come to glassdoor to provide it. What is being said here, needs attention.

FOLLOW best practices already established within the ITG realm such as Standard Methodologies.

More importantly: TAKE THE TIME TO DO SOME OVERSIGHT and analysis of the directives given to all business areas.
    There is A LOT of disconnect.
    Many departments (including mine), feel like we are just THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS and not partners who can be taken seriously or into account for company strategies and the support of them. There's this bad habit of establishing a strategy and just expect to have YES MEN outside the non-sales and marketing leadership.

Has Potential. Good People for the most part.

Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Flexible. Work-life balance.

Cons

Very cheap with funding.
    It doesn't feel like loyalty is appreciated.
    No follow through with initiatives.
    Full of yes men.
    Many employees feel entitled to be demanding because of seniority.

Take time to evaluate the results of your strategies before switching them every quarter.
    People believe there's potential for future success.

It has more ups than downs. Fast Pace Company with alot of potential.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome.
    The people are the best at what they do
    The company itself has a few obstacles to over come, but it is coming together.
    We've got Blu
    Company is pretty open about what is going on
    Open community where there is a lot of departmental partnership
    Long hours but you feel satusfied at the end of the day.
    Each team has a good demographic. No cattiness
    Beautiful place to work from the building to the office spaces.
    Gym
    HR Programs promoting health and wellness.

Cons

Training is limited, but available depending on the your role
    Technology needs a major overhaul
    You get out what you put in. Not enough investment in the right tools.
    Don't ask for feedback if nothing will be done
    Alot of people are taking up space and not working towards the final goal of the company
    Attitudes and Entitlement run wild
    T-Mobile
    Too many Pre-Madonnas in the sales force

Listen to the team. We all want to be here and want what is best for the comany. Utilize the talent that you have and get rid of the dead weight.
    More education on the different brands and the business would be good for non sales reps.
    Marketing is off the wall and not focused on every day smokers, such as those who work for the company

I ONLY WISH I COULD BE A BUTT KISSER TOO...

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have sat here thinking about the Pros for awhile now... Quite frankly, the only pro that I can think of is that I get a check every 2 weeks. Other than that. This place is a perfect example of how not to run a company.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with reality and what is going on in the field. In the over 6 years I have been here I have received less than 3 competitive activity reports. We are constantly beating a dead horse and running in circles. We price ourselves out of every category we are in. The one great thing we HAD going for us was our service, rapport and pride. Now we have no consistencey whatsoever in our retailer or wholesaler agreements. We constantly push items on our customers that they don't want only to have them sit there until the next slow item is pushed down their throat and we exchange them out. We now have resorted to begging customers to take our products and when they do and ask when we will be back to visit .... we have no idea because we can only go where our so-called managers determine by giving us a list of accounts. We are still not in major wholesalers so even if you like our products good luck trying to find them. If we do get them in a store and get a following through discounting and merchandising of hard working sales people, within the next couple of months we'll screw that up too by either not visiting our loyal retailers and or not continuing value discounting and moving on. What a mess.

The only way it will get better is if all management is replaced. They have mostly only got their jobs by kissing butt. Un qualified, illiterate enforcers for the dictator Sales GUY who only promotes his henchman.

Sales Management at One of the Most Horrible Companies in America

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company, even with their recent acquisition of the RAI and Lorrillard brands, I can't think of anything that would be a positive. They are now just are larger 'mess' and will screw up that RAI and Lorrillard took years to build. Don't be fooled by the slick words and appearance of the President and CEO; incompetence runs rampant on the management team.

Cons

They are the most repressive, incompetent, degrading management team I have ever witnessed. If anyone is considering working this company, please think twice. What they don't tell you in the interview process is that managment, especially in the sales area, is almost tyrannical. They track you like an animal and micro-manage everything you do. All of the equipment (including computers and phones) that they give you to supposedly do your job, is sub-par and it's broken more than it works. The job consumes your life and they expect you to work 24/7 without any regard for personal time, family, etc. You have no autonomy to make decisions that matter. Even when you get time off, they try to make you feel guilty for taking it. They give you a company van but don't think for a minute that it is a perk. They watch and track everything you do with the van and in the end, it's not worth it. This is truly one of the most antiquated, oppressive and demeaning experiences I have ever had with a company. On top of this, they pay a salary that is embarassing and a bonus that is a joke. Lest I forget, communication is also horrible. Everything has to be "filtered" before it's passed on to employees. In this day and time, that speaks volumes.

There are some smart people in the company but your management team, especially the ones you have in the field, will eventually run them all away. You have a bunch of 'old school' tobacco tyrants left over from the ice age, running your sales organization and they are hurting the company and all of the brands. The overall culture of this company is deplorable. There is absolutely no trust in your employees, especially the ones in the field on the front lines. You need progressive managers, not watchdogs. The company and brands will never grow with the current suffocating, micro-managing style that is in place. You need to 'get a life' and realize that what you do is about selling tobacco; nothing more, nothing less. You operate like a military that is guarding top secrets for the government.

Here we go again!

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, great people for the most part

Cons

Constant change in direction from management

They only do as they're told.

Commonwealth-Altadis Photos