Commonwealth-Altadis

Commonwealth-Altadis Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Commonwealth-Altadis President & CEO Kevin Freudenthal

Kevin Freudenthal

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits which were further enhanced in 2014(in 15 reviews)

• Terrific benefits package, a raerity these days(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to balance work/family life because of demanding upper management(in 17 reviews)

• The whole entire face of the company changed when Imperial Tobacco bought it(in 8 reviews)

Overall B-

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits package, company vehicle, 401(k), decent salary, autonomy (relative to other fields). Making headway on innovation. The job is hectic, but manageable, prepare to do more than a 8-5. You don't punch a clock. So if you get over the fact that your personal time will get dipped into (it's really not that bad), the job is overall easy.

ConsNot much in the way of morale, we just went through a restructure last year, and everyone still seems to be reeling from that. We are chronically reactive, constantly changing course mid stream. A LOT of old guard in the tobacco business remember the "good old days" when this was a better place to work and they tell EVERYONE about it, fun to listen to and a bummer at the same time. Managers make attempts to say how much they appreciate us, and at the lower levels of management, you know they mean it. (This does depend on your location, but jerks in lower management are at every company) Upper level management on the other hand....not so much. When I get an email from a VP, telling me how much I am appreciated that is obviously was written by a Corporate Comms guru, I laugh out loud every time. Anything above an Regional Director, you probably will never meet.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a reason for national meetings. Networking and exchange of ideas. Plus, you get to actually meet upper level management. This isn't an invitation to come work with us in the field once in a blue moon. Working with a VP that you have never met, is absolutely terrifying for many, get to know us first. As far as what I said about the "old guard" in the cons section, you may be thinking about shutting them up or getting rid of them....don't. Your morale problem isn't because the old timers are disgruntled, it's because you only know us by our journey numbers.

A sinking ship in rough waters

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsBenefits such as car, 401k, pay and vacations are good, but diminishing.

ConsPoor leadership and no direction. They keep reinventing themselves and repackaging and rebranding the same products over and over. No real vision

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the old Commonwealth ways of doing business with grit, hard work, relationships and great people who work and achieve results instead of the new educated yes men who tell you what you want to here

Promote hard working TMs that have been loyal though all changes

AREA SALES MANAGER (Current Employee)

ProsMy team of TMs and all the people I deal with and also
    Love this crazy industry.

ConsThe one big concern I have is over the last year or so
    I ve seen too many hard working TMs not getting a chance
    To move up.I know of one case where you had 1-2 great
    TMs with all the leadership and skill set that we need as a company
    In both cases they hired somebody from outside the company.
    I was at a meeting about a month or so back and met one
    Of the new ASM's and I hate to bash anybody but this
    Person knew very little about the business and what the job
    Of a TM is all about.How would you feel if you knew no
    Matter how hard you work and have no chance to promote.
    I know for a fact that this has been going on in one of
    The areas in the northeast region.I know if I were a TM
    I wouldn't want to work for that state manager.
    Thank god I have a good SM that promotes his people .

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at some of your promoting practices and look at
    The areas where good people are not being promoted in
    The area they work in because good people should
    Be rewarded and the company will be better for it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just dont, unless your a masochist.

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompany car, 401k match, paycheck never bounced.

ConsWhere does one begin? The cons start at 8am and dont stop until 5pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves and hire monkeys to do your job. At least they can fling poo which is more productive than what you have done.

Constantly playing catch up

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

Proscompany car, pay is pretty competitive, and benefits are solid (matching 401k), standard territory management job, no real surprises day to day

Consleadership is spotty, most managers micro-manage their people, no one is on the same page, constantly changing focus, there are very few chances for advancement if you do not have a sponsor, you are given the bonus structure over halfway through the year and low and behold you did not achieve the the bonus for the first half on the year,

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there is a new trend coming along; be on the forefront, not the last one to the party. Promote based on reputation, experience, and merit; not silly roleplaying games.

Over 2 years as a Territory Manager

ProsBenefits are good; 401k and insurance

ConsConstant stress from ever changing goals and objectives. Expect to work 50 hours per week or more.
    Territory Managers are expected to wok 40 hours in the field and every other task (administrative) is done beyond those 40 hours. You will considered expendable and thought of as the bottom of the food chain.
    Yes management did send a notice to select people, encouraging them to post positive comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have no idea what the customer really thinks of our company. Listen to the Field Sales team!
    And to the Marketing team--We know that you work hard!!-- So do we!! The customers expect everything yesterday, so that is why we need it ASAP!! Maybe consider some wage increases this year.

Senior Management was all from the UK, with very limited knowledge of the US market.

Marketing (Former Employee) Bowling Green, KY

Pros- Great people, and value work life balance
    - Room for growth and to take on additional responsibilities within the organization
    - Good compensation and benefits.

Cons- A lot of in-fighting within the organization. Marketing and Sales were constantly battling because the goals and strategies were not aligned or clearly defined
    - Senior management thinks what worked in the European markets will work in the States.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some people with US tobacco experience, bring them in as employees or consultants, and listen to what they are saying.

A company in flux that is finding it's way.

ProsI truly feel that the vision is in the right direction. I have great benefits. I could not ask for a better group of direct reports.

ConsOver the past year my responsibilities have been greatly increased. However, promises of a new pay scale have never materialized.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter cutting staff significantly. The remaining people need recognized for increased responsibility through more competitive pay package.

A company that offers training,knowledge, and career advancement.

ProsStarting salary is in line with the industry. 401-K, Imperial Stock Purchase Program, company car, superior medical/Dental package, vacation, holiday and sick time.
    Excellent opportunity to start a sales career or move up to more sophisticated levels of sales. Not limited to sales. Other career opportunities include middle and upper management, Production Analyst, Business Anayst, Sales Admin. and Trade Marketing.
    If you are willing to learn, work hard, and relocate, advancement will happen.
    Commonwealth/Altadis Inc has a huge portfolio of tobacco products offering something for everyone in the retail and wholesale universe. Cigarettes, Loose Tobacco, Cigars, E-Cig, Tubes, Machines, Papers, etc..

ConsNot for the weak.
    The tobaccco industry is one of the most competitive businesses on this planet. Government regulations and high tax rates on tobacco make our jobs extremely challenging. If you love challenge and working in an ever-changing industry- this might be for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to add products and innovation to our portfolio.

I love working for CA! Every company has their flaws– It’s up to you to decide how critical the flaws are

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsThis company is fantastic. I don't think I've ever been more satisified. There is a lot to be excited about with this company from the product and packaging innovation to the updated business practices. When I began working for them, we were going through an integration, there wasn't a permanent CEO, the entire company was so divided and our methods of doing business were beyond outdated. The dust has now settled and everything is falling into place. We have a new VP Consumer Marketing who is creative and his department is creating campaigns that are better than anything we've had in the past 3 years. We have a strong customer service department that works so hard and does everything they can to please our customers. The Trade Marketing department works so hard, always staying extra hours to ensure that all departments in the company are in alignment. The finance team asks a little too many questions, however, their team is so strong. They are so supportive of one another and they are a very unified department - a great department to work in. I enjoyed working here from the beginning but my love for this place has only grown in my time spent with them.

ConsThe Sales Field never stops complaining... If something happened 5 years ago, there are still people complaining about it like it was yesterday. They are impossible to please no matter how easy you make it for them. They don't read anything that's sent to them so they'll say that they're kept out of the loop or that no one keeps them informed but the truth is that they can't take anytime away from whining to read their email. All the departments do their best to try and make it easier for them to do their jobs but it's never enough for them... They don't appreciate anything we do for them and they may as well have a permanent signature on their emails saying "I need this ASAP" .

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up with the innovation and excitement about our products! It's really rewarding to be able to be proud of what your company is doing. Don't be shy about getting out of your office and meetings more often and interact with the lower levels. We don't see you enough, it's OK to take the time to get to know what's going on around the office.

Worked for Commonwealth-Altadis? Contribute to the Community!