Commonwealth-Altadis Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

2.9

Commonwealth-Altadis President & CEO Kevin Freudenthal
Kevin Freudenthal

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits which were further enhanced in 2014 (in 15 reviews)

• Terrific benefits package, a raerity these days (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to balance work/family life because of demanding upper management (in 17 reviews)

• The whole entire face of the company changed when Imperial Tobacco bought it (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Management was all from the UK, with very limited knowledge of the US market.

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Marketing in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great people, and value work life balance
    - Room for growth and to take on additional responsibilities within the organization
    - Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

- A lot of in-fighting within the organization. Marketing and Sales were constantly battling because the goals and strategies were not aligned or clearly defined
    - Senior management thinks what worked in the European markets will work in the States.

Find some people with US tobacco experience, bring them in as employees or consultants, and listen to what they are saying.

Just dont, unless your a masochist.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company car, 401k match, paycheck never bounced.

Cons

Where does one begin? The cons start at 8am and dont stop until 5pm.

Fire yourselves and hire monkeys to do your job. At least they can fling poo which is more productive than what you have done.

A company in flux that is finding it's way.

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis

Pros

I truly feel that the vision is in the right direction. I have great benefits. I could not ask for a better group of direct reports.

Cons

Over the past year my responsibilities have been greatly increased. However, promises of a new pay scale have never materialized.

After cutting staff significantly. The remaining people need recognized for increased responsibility through more competitive pay package.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love working for CA! Every company has their flaws– It’s up to you to decide how critical the flaws are

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is fantastic. I don't think I've ever been more satisified. There is a lot to be excited about with this company from the product and packaging innovation to the updated business practices. When I began working for them, we were going through an integration, there wasn't a permanent CEO, the entire company was so divided and our methods of doing business were beyond outdated. The dust has now settled and everything is falling into place. We have a new VP Consumer Marketing who is creative and his department is creating campaigns that are better than anything we've had in the past 3 years. We have a strong customer service department that works so hard and does everything they can to please our customers. The Trade Marketing department works so hard, always staying extra hours to ensure that all departments in the company are in alignment. The finance team asks a little too many questions, however, their team is so strong. They are so supportive of one another and they are a very unified department - a great department to work in. I enjoyed working here from the beginning but my love for this place has only grown in my time spent with them.

Cons

The Sales Field never stops complaining... If something happened 5 years ago, there are still people complaining about it like it was yesterday. They are impossible to please no matter how easy you make it for them. They don't read anything that's sent to them so they'll say that they're kept out of the loop or that no one keeps them informed but the truth is that they can't take anytime away from whining to read their email. All the departments do their best to try and make it easier for them to do their jobs but it's never enough for them... They don't appreciate anything we do for them and they may as well have a permanent signature on their emails saying "I need this ASAP" .

Keep it up with the innovation and excitement about our products! It's really rewarding to be able to be proud of what your company is doing. Don't be shy about getting out of your office and meetings more often and interact with the lower levels. We don't see you enough, it's OK to take the time to get to know what's going on around the office.

The company asked people to write good reviews???????

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits,work hours,holidays vacation days,matched 401k.

Cons

The home office lives in DREAMLAND as to the day in and day out of actually having to try to accomplish the ever changing demands expected from the foot soldiers who are treated like pre-school children. Micro management to the 100th scale. The quarterly objectives change immediately after the joke of a meeting which we are required to attend. Its like Peyton Manning at the line of scrimmage " OMAHA,OMAHA,OMAHA! But with no positive results. After being told " Better Together!" there was a HUGE layoff..... But there are continuous job opportunities in the Florida office??? And rehires in the SAME jobs where LONG time employees were terminated????? The definition of INSANITY is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a DIFFERENT result. This Company meets the definition. Trade Marketing should be pounding sand.

QUIT!!

Company Review

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis

Pros

I am an Account Manager with CA and I have found my position to be both challenging and rewarding. For several years the bonus program was quite good. Like any other company that mergers with another there have been ups and downs. That is all behind us and I look forward to only good things and company growth!

Cons

No cons at this time.

No advise to management.

A company that offers training,knowledge, and career advancement.

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Starting salary is in line with the industry. 401-K, Imperial Stock Purchase Program, company car, superior medical/Dental package, vacation, holiday and sick time.
    Excellent opportunity to start a sales career or move up to more sophisticated levels of sales. Not limited to sales. Other career opportunities include middle and upper management, Production Analyst, Business Anayst, Sales Admin. and Trade Marketing.
    If you are willing to learn, work hard, and relocate, advancement will happen.
    Commonwealth/Altadis Inc has a huge portfolio of tobacco products offering something for everyone in the retail and wholesale universe. Cigarettes, Loose Tobacco, Cigars, E-Cig, Tubes, Machines, Papers, etc..

Cons

Not for the weak.
    The tobaccco industry is one of the most competitive businesses on this planet. Government regulations and high tax rates on tobacco make our jobs extremely challenging. If you love challenge and working in an ever-changing industry- this might be for you.

Continue to add products and innovation to our portfolio.

Very stable company

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work stability, very professional atmosphere, wonderful and caring co-workers, great benefits.

Cons

A couple of years ago, I would had said that we needed a couple of more additional holidays each year, but it has already happened.

The Management Team is always very focused on their work goals and objectives, and yet, at the same time - at least in my department - they take interest in the employees. I suggest keeping this up because we are all part of the same team, and this is a practice that positively impacts employees' performace and team effort.

Awesome company where hard work is valued and acknowledged.

Current Employee - Corporate Employee  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful working environment. Great benefit package and potential for career growth.

Cons

Highly competitive and regulated industry which requires the ability to adapt to market changes rapidly.

Programs can be complex for the customers and sales field to execute and understand. Less is more!

Good continuous improvement with many career opportunities

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many opportunities to grow whether it be in marketing roles such as trade marketing or a sales role like area sales mgr.

Cons

Will have to be open minded to a fast paced changing environment and shifting industry trends

Continue to promote a good company culture by encouraging the six values and staying engaged with employees at all levels. A new quarterly visit program for executives (senior vp, vp, regional sales directors) to go out in the field and engage with middle/senior managers at the store level, will promote engagement while allowing senior executives to observe first hand challenges out in the field.

Worked for Commonwealth-Altadis? Contribute to the Community!