Commonwealth-Altadis

www.commonwealthaltadis.com
Employer Engaged

It has more ups than downs. Fast Pace Company with alot of potential.

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome.
    The people are the best at what they do
    The company itself has a few obstacles to over come, but it is coming together.
    We've got Blu
    Company is pretty open about what is going on
    Open community where there is a lot of departmental partnership
    Long hours but you feel satusfied at the end of the day.
    Each team has a good demographic. No cattiness
    Beautiful place to work from the building to the office spaces.
    Gym
    HR Programs promoting health and wellness.

Cons

Training is limited, but available depending on the your role
    Technology needs a major overhaul
    You get out what you put in. Not enough investment in the right tools.
    Don't ask for feedback if nothing will be done
    Alot of people are taking up space and not working towards the final goal of the company
    Attitudes and Entitlement run wild
    T-Mobile
    Too many Pre-Madonnas in the sales force

Listen to the team. We all want to be here and want what is best for the comany. Utilize the talent that you have and get rid of the dead weight.
    More education on the different brands and the business would be good for non sales reps.
    Marketing is off the wall and not focused on every day smokers, such as those who work for the company

I ONLY WISH I COULD BE A BUTT KISSER TOO...

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have sat here thinking about the Pros for awhile now... Quite frankly, the only pro that I can think of is that I get a check every 2 weeks. Other than that. This place is a perfect example of how not to run a company.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with reality and what is going on in the field. In the over 6 years I have been here I have received less than 3 competitive activity reports. We are constantly beating a dead horse and running in circles. We price ourselves out of every category we are in. The one great thing we HAD going for us was our service, rapport and pride. Now we have no consistencey whatsoever in our retailer or wholesaler agreements. We constantly push items on our customers that they don't want only to have them sit there until the next slow item is pushed down their throat and we exchange them out. We now have resorted to begging customers to take our products and when they do and ask when we will be back to visit .... we have no idea because we can only go where our so-called managers determine by giving us a list of accounts. We are still not in major wholesalers so even if you like our products good luck trying to find them. If we do get them in a store and get a following through discounting and merchandising of hard working sales people, within the next couple of months we'll screw that up too by either not visiting our loyal retailers and or not continuing value discounting and moving on. What a mess.

The only way it will get better is if all management is replaced. They have mostly only got their jobs by kissing butt. Un qualified, illiterate enforcers for the dictator Sales GUY who only promotes his henchman.

Here we go again!

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, great people for the most part

Cons

Constant change in direction from management

They only do as they're told.

Sales Management at One of the Most Horrible Companies in America

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company, even with their recent acquisition of the RAI and Lorrillard brands, I can't think of anything that would be a positive. They are now just are larger 'mess' and will screw up that RAI and Lorrillard took years to build. Don't be fooled by the slick words and appearance of the President and CEO; incompetence runs rampant on the management team.

Cons

They are the most repressive, incompetent, degrading management team I have ever witnessed. If anyone is considering working this company, please think twice. What they don't tell you in the interview process is that managment, especially in the sales area, is almost tyrannical. They track you like an animal and micro-manage everything you do. All of the equipment (including computers and phones) that they give you to supposedly do your job, is sub-par and it's broken more than it works. The job consumes your life and they expect you to work 24/7 without any regard for personal time, family, etc. You have no autonomy to make decisions that matter. Even when you get time off, they try to make you feel guilty for taking it. They give you a company van but don't think for a minute that it is a perk. They watch and track everything you do with the van and in the end, it's not worth it. This is truly one of the most antiquated, oppressive and demeaning experiences I have ever had with a company. On top of this, they pay a salary that is embarassing and a bonus that is a joke. Lest I forget, communication is also horrible. Everything has to be "filtered" before it's passed on to employees. In this day and time, that speaks volumes.

There are some smart people in the company but your management team, especially the ones you have in the field, will eventually run them all away. You have a bunch of 'old school' tobacco tyrants left over from the ice age, running your sales organization and they are hurting the company and all of the brands. The overall culture of this company is deplorable. There is absolutely no trust in your employees, especially the ones in the field on the front lines. You need progressive managers, not watchdogs. The company and brands will never grow with the current suffocating, micro-managing style that is in place. You need to 'get a life' and realize that what you do is about selling tobacco; nothing more, nothing less. You operate like a military that is guarding top secrets for the government.

Just dont, unless your a masochist.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company car, 401k match, paycheck never bounced.

Cons

Where does one begin? The cons start at 8am and dont stop until 5pm.

Fire yourselves and hire monkeys to do your job. At least they can fling poo which is more productive than what you have done.

Constantly playing catch up

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

company car, pay is pretty competitive, and benefits are solid (matching 401k), standard territory management job, no real surprises day to day

Cons

leadership is spotty, most managers micro-manage their people, no one is on the same page, constantly changing focus, there are very few chances for advancement if you do not have a sponsor, you are given the bonus structure over halfway through the year and low and behold you did not achieve the the bonus for the first half on the year,

If there is a new trend coming along; be on the forefront, not the last one to the party. Promote based on reputation, experience, and merit; not silly roleplaying games.

Overall B-

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits package, company vehicle, 401(k), decent salary, autonomy (relative to other fields). Making headway on innovation. The job is hectic, but manageable, prepare to do more than a 8-5. You don't punch a clock. So if you get over the fact that your personal time will get dipped into (it's really not that bad), the job is overall easy.

Cons

Not much in the way of morale, we just went through a restructure last year, and everyone still seems to be reeling from that. We are chronically reactive, constantly changing course mid stream. A LOT of old guard in the tobacco business remember the "good old days" when this was a better place to work and they tell EVERYONE about it, fun to listen to and a bummer at the same time. Managers make attempts to say how much they appreciate us, and at the lower levels of management, you know they mean it. (This does depend on your location, but jerks in lower management are at every company) Upper level management on the other hand....not so much. When I get an email from a VP, telling me how much I am appreciated that is obviously was written by a Corporate Comms guru, I laugh out loud every time. Anything above an Regional Director, you probably will never meet.

There was a reason for national meetings. Networking and exchange of ideas. Plus, you get to actually meet upper level management. This isn't an invitation to come work with us in the field once in a blue moon. Working with a VP that you have never met, is absolutely terrifying for many, get to know us first. As far as what I said about the "old guard" in the cons section, you may be thinking about shutting them up or getting rid of them....don't. Your morale problem isn't because the old timers are disgruntled, it's because you only know us by our journey numbers.

Senior Management was all from the UK, with very limited knowledge of the US market.

Former Employee - Marketing in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Marketing in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great people, and value work life balance
    - Room for growth and to take on additional responsibilities within the organization
    - Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

- A lot of in-fighting within the organization. Marketing and Sales were constantly battling because the goals and strategies were not aligned or clearly defined
    - Senior management thinks what worked in the European markets will work in the States.

Find some people with US tobacco experience, bring them in as employees or consultants, and listen to what they are saying.

A company in flux that is finding it's way.

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis

Pros

I truly feel that the vision is in the right direction. I have great benefits. I could not ask for a better group of direct reports.

Cons

Over the past year my responsibilities have been greatly increased. However, promises of a new pay scale have never materialized.

After cutting staff significantly. The remaining people need recognized for increased responsibility through more competitive pay package.

I love working for CA! Every company has their flaws– It’s up to you to decide how critical the flaws are

I have been working at Commonwealth-Altadis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is fantastic. I don't think I've ever been more satisified. There is a lot to be excited about with this company from the product and packaging innovation to the updated business practices. When I began working for them, we were going through an integration, there wasn't a permanent CEO, the entire company was so divided and our methods of doing business were beyond outdated. The dust has now settled and everything is falling into place. We have a new VP Consumer Marketing who is creative and his department is creating campaigns that are better than anything we've had in the past 3 years. We have a strong customer service department that works so hard and does everything they can to please our customers. The Trade Marketing department works so hard, always staying extra hours to ensure that all departments in the company are in alignment. The finance team asks a little too many questions, however, their team is so strong. They are so supportive of one another and they are a very unified department - a great department to work in. I enjoyed working here from the beginning but my love for this place has only grown in my time spent with them.

Cons

The Sales Field never stops complaining... If something happened 5 years ago, there are still people complaining about it like it was yesterday. They are impossible to please no matter how easy you make it for them. They don't read anything that's sent to them so they'll say that they're kept out of the loop or that no one keeps them informed but the truth is that they can't take anytime away from whining to read their email. All the departments do their best to try and make it easier for them to do their jobs but it's never enough for them... They don't appreciate anything we do for them and they may as well have a permanent signature on their emails saying "I need this ASAP" .

Keep it up with the innovation and excitement about our products! It's really rewarding to be able to be proud of what your company is doing. Don't be shy about getting out of your office and meetings more often and interact with the lower levels. We don't see you enough, it's OK to take the time to get to know what's going on around the office.

Commonwealth-Altadis Photos