Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Commonwealth Bank of Australia CEO & Managing Director Ian Narev

Ian Narev

Pros
  • Good work life balance, showers available at work and secure bike rack(in 17 reviews)

• Nice working environment and nice team members(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Still lots of red tape (but less than other Aussie banks out there)(in 7 reviews)

• Although a big advocate of work/life balance, in reality a lot of pressure on IT staff to meet deadlines and work over time(in 4 reviews)

Very good

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Parramatta (Australia)

ProsFriendly co-workers
    Lots of support and benefits
    great working environment and pay

Consnothing to do with my field of study :(

Awesome internship at Commonwealth

Product Intern (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsI interned for their Shanghai division during my summer vacation. People are really friendly there, also they have this monthly theme party where each division will be given a chance to organize the whole thing. I really enjoy that.

ConsNeed to work overtime sometimes, especially before the annual meeting, i remembered i left the office at 9 pm one day.

Great Work, Life and Balance

ProsCBA is a great place to work with great people and teams.

ConsSenior Management lacking aggression since it seems like they want to work comfortably until retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore development, recognition and monetary rewards for the younger generation moving onto senior levels of management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great family-friendly employer

Manager (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsNice large and family friendly organization

ConsInternal politics is the sole tool to promotion

Was the best bank to work for in Australia...

IT Projects (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGreat bonuses if you performed, great employee technology relative to the other banks, work life balance is great but really depends on which business you work in.

ConsCan be difficult to move to different business areas across the Bank particularly with significant staff cuts in 2012-2014 (such cuts are flying under the media radar). The leadership style of senior management is still patchy. Becoming more of a cut throat banking business. The activity based working environment has meant more staff in your work environment with reduced personal and work space.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Bank used to be a great place to work. Politically challenged.

In the beginning the working experience was great and then because of management changes it became ok to work there.

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsI got along really well with all the staff members and even people from management were also fine to work with. It was a very understanding environment and as long as you show that you're willing to work and be a team player then it was all ok.

ConsThe pay didn't reflect the amount of work that people actually put into even if there were bonuses involved. The sales target was horrendous and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should listen to suggestions with an open ear and be receptive to it. I think some people in upper management need further training in how to be better people and not be so arrogant sometimes.

Exciting place to be

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGreat opportunities to develop new skills, work on different projects, focus on productivity means that everyone is always looking for better ways to do things. The size and scale mean that you can have a real impact. Good work/life balance. Great leadership.

ConsIt's a BIG organisation so prepare to be overwhelmed when you join... but you get there in the end. It's a fast paced environment and you're expected to bring your A game every day.

Stable employment for those content with monotony

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsJob security, compensation, opportunity for advancement.
    Work-life balance is generally pretty good and there is no corporate obligation to be the last one in the office.

Cons"How would you rate my service today out of 10?" and such cheesy one liners make achieving KPI's rather painful. Not a particularly challenging or stimulating role.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage staff more to ensure pretty don't die of boredom

Good opportunity, nice people

Product Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood place to learn
    Good co-workers and culture

ConsSlow decision-making process
    Beurocratic and a lot of red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementAttend to development plans more

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good place to work

ProsGood work life balance
    Large scope of career opportunities
    Good social culture
    Supportive people leaders
    Great graduate program

ConsNo international presence due to heavy investment in domestic market
    Some offices located out west. (Main head office is in City though)

Worked for Commonwealth Bank of Australia? Contribute to the Community!