Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Updated January 26, 2015
3.6

Commonwealth Bank of Australia CEO & Managing Director Ian Narev
Ian Narev

Pros
  • Work life balance is fair for project work with option of time in lieu for weekend work (in 23 reviews)

• Good culture of promoting within and the opportunities are there (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Still lots of red tape (but less than other Aussie banks out there) (in 9 reviews)

• Work life balance is not good, generally long hours expected (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

Environment, friendly colleagues and staff

Cons

Income, no set path to grow, feels like a call centre

Hit and Miss

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

The pressure to perform isn't as high as our IB colleagues - with respect to the institutional part of the Bank. This is changing however, with performance expectations increasing in order to keep up with a more competitive market place.

Cons

Training is non-existent, very political environment to work in. My experience has taught me first hand that it's who you know, not what you know that leads to success (well in this company). It's random whether the best performer is promoted. Remuneration is disconnected from the broader market, which (while unspoken) is acknowledged informally. Senior management get remunerated quite handsomely however. The systems are truly appalling.

Take care of good performers who go above the "CBA standard" - given how the business has taken a harder line on performance recently, more work needs to be done to identify where the weak and strong links of the chain are. Currently that decision is in the hands of a couple select people.

Jan 12, 2015Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. At CommBank, we aim to offer a wide range of sources of support - such as regular development discussions, training courses, on-the-job coaching and mentoring ... More

started ok but then politics began

Former Employee - Security in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Security in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

looks good on cv. not too long hours. big company so always some good people around.

Cons

internal teams compete for resources. outcomes not looked at. just who you are friends with. middle mgt is up themselves

sort out middle mgt. they are not interested in what is best for company

Stable and rewarding.....if one engages and strives to be.

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Commonwealth Bank is a large organization with above average IT systems (compared to competitors). Given the size this also provides stability and in my personal opinion, decent wage scale and bonus/stock rewards. Obviously this depends on the business unit your in and also the senior manager as they ultimately decide the amount of pay rises and STI (bonus) payments if any.
    Good team culture if your prepared to adjust and be involved. Senior management can only go so far, so i've learnt its up to the individual to make it how they want or seek it someone else. There are many different people with different personalities and backgrounds so you dont have to stick with your immediate team. CBA provides various networking events, sports/fitness sessions, etc which are a good way to expand your social circle.

Cons

Some people complain about limited career opportunities and reward/recognition, but i would have to only partly agree. Whilst it is hard to move to other roles, especially if its a completely different Business unit, that's where networking and building contacts (particularly with other senior managers) comes in handy. CBA is a very large organization, so that is a Pro and a Con as your competing in a larger pool for limited roles. The hiring manager would also be more inclined to hire someone they know or gets a good referral from. At the same time, taking into account pay expectations.
    Reward and recognition is also shown but limited. You would have to show you've done a fantastic job and be vocal about it. Senior managers are more inclined to reward their "revenue generators" as lets face it, its a sales culture and that's what their performance is based on. So if they can keep their key sales people happy, they will keep performing.

Senior Management - Be more involved and engaging with the wider team - you will get alot of great feedback if they trust you.
    Direct line managers, reward your staff if they do a great job or put in extra effort. It doesn't cost your anything. If not, one day you will find yourself with bitter staff or no staff at all.

Jan 4, 2015Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and insights - we appreciate your honesty. We hope that this will be helpful for anyone who is interested in working with us. Have a great day!

Senior Technical Business Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Technical Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

Good culture, Innovation, Agile, Management is focusing on customer focused products

Cons

A lot of Red Tape

It's hard work, but you're working with the brightest at what they do

Current Employee - Service Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

The culture of innovation in IT, and the support across the organisation for finding better ways to do something

Cons

Internal finance aren't innovative - it's still annual budgets, and if you get those wrong, you're not going to find it easy. There is no tolerance of failure, which unfortunately undermines the talk of innovation.

Support small scale failure in teams with actual budget allocations (just like you do with stretch).

Mixed review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Lots of good people
    -Great opportunities for latest technology
    -High training budget
    -Lots of opportunities to move within the bank

Cons

-Many incompetent managers who have been there for 10+ years
    -Inconsistent team culture/work life balance
    -Very political
    -Hot desking

Have managers with more than 1 direct report
    Get senior managers with management experience

Customers first

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

As cba puts customer first you can be sure that at all times you are working for what is important - the customer
    employees are appreciated for what they do and will always be taken care of

Cons

Limited options for roles in other countries.

Can't wait to leave this organization

Current Employee - Operations Officer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Operations Officer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None, maybe the location...All the major office sites are well connected but I guess that is something common with any of the big four banks

Cons

No career progression
    Worst management (junior & middle level) ever, in my 10 years of professional life I am yet to see such a bunch of incompetent managers.
    Prefrential treatment and no cumminication
    Training and HR don't exist.
    No matter how sincere and hard working you are don't expect any appreciation and forget about vertical or even horizontal movement

Engage with employees , provide them with training and help them in their career progression
    HR should be a real function and should be involved in half-yearly or annual reviews
    Employees aren't just numbers, value them and it will be easier to work towards common goals

Jan 4, 2015Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry that you feel this way and we will certainly pass on your feedback to our HR team. At CommBank we strive to offer support for training and development, as ... More

Great company, culture and ability to execute

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The organisation is abundantly clear with its direction, vision and purpose. Staff understand this well, and have the autonomy to operate within these parameters to bring combine innovation and continuous improvement very well.

Cons

Adopts the McDonald's model to business. A thin layer of management (thinkers), and a whole lot of doers, often who are underpaid for their skills, capabilities and experience relative to what you can be compensated for elsewhere in the market place

Reconsider unachievable bonus targets and structure.

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Photos