Commonwealth Bank of Australia

www.commbank.com.au

Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (Teller) in Lidcombe (Australia)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

If you like helping others, then this is for you. You get a sense of satisfaction from helping your customers. Every workmate is friendly, and the company is very flexible - they are open to negotiations (e.g. working hours, pay, etc.) so work-life balance is good. Also get financial benefits.

Cons

Weekly targets need to be met - feels pretty sales orientated. So if you are not that much of a sales person, it will be a challenge.

Its not who you know, its who you show the show

Former Employee - Auditor in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Auditor in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I cannot think of anything positive to say...even the free coffee for CBP North employees is terrible!!

Cons

I worked in audit & assurance, and the senior management there are terrible..they got bad scores in people and culture surveys, and all they were worried about is how they looked in the eyes of auditee partners instead of doing their job properly. they hire external body to teach you how to speak properly with people, and all this person wanted was a free lunch! they dont deal with internal HR issues well in A&A, its just a sweep under the carpet.

wake up and smell the roses...promote the best person for the job...and seriously...get rid of the dead wood!

Start paying market rates too....dont give us 2% a year, when youre making 10%..what a joke!

It's a roller coaster with a lots of downs

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (Teller)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (Teller)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The uniform provided is good, and the other tellers I have worked with a very nice.

Cons

Too much pressure put on staff to make sales and unreasonable targets in small branches to the point of bullying. management literally standing behind you and listen to your conversations and ask why you didn't sell anything. Lowest paid staff of all banks, yet highest paid CEO and management. Coincidence?

Please stop the bullying going on in branches to meet sales targets.

Feb 9, 2015Employer Brand Specialist

At CommBank, we take any reports of bullying very seriously. Please contact our HR Direct team or the SpeakUp hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258) immediately to raise this anonymously.

Good

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

Environment, friendly colleagues and staff

Cons

Income, no set path to grow, feels like a call centre

HR support lacking and there for legal reasons only

Current Employee - Executive Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Executive Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

Salary competitive
    Activity based working

Cons

Management are afraid to put things in writing.

Say what you believe and actions will be aligned

Hit and Miss

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

The pressure to perform isn't as high as our IB colleagues - with respect to the institutional part of the Bank. This is changing however, with performance expectations increasing in order to keep up with a more competitive market place.

Cons

Training is non-existent, very political environment to work in. My experience has taught me first hand that it's who you know, not what you know that leads to success (well in this company). It's random whether the best performer is promoted. Remuneration is disconnected from the broader market, which (while unspoken) is acknowledged informally. Senior management get remunerated quite handsomely however. The systems are truly appalling.

Take care of good performers who go above the "CBA standard" - given how the business has taken a harder line on performance recently, more work needs to be done to identify where the weak and strong links of the chain are. Currently that decision is in the hands of a couple select people.

Jan 12, 2015Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. At CommBank, we aim to offer a wide range of sources of support - such as regular development discussions, training courses, on-the-job coaching and mentoring ... More

started ok but then politics began

Former Employee - Security in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Security in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

looks good on cv. not too long hours. big company so always some good people around.

Cons

internal teams compete for resources. outcomes not looked at. just who you are friends with. middle mgt is up themselves

sort out middle mgt. they are not interested in what is best for company

Senior Technical Business Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Technical Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

Good culture, Innovation, Agile, Management is focusing on customer focused products

Cons

A lot of Red Tape

Stable and rewarding.....if one engages and strives to be.

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Commonwealth Bank is a large organization with above average IT systems (compared to competitors). Given the size this also provides stability and in my personal opinion, decent wage scale and bonus/stock rewards. Obviously this depends on the business unit your in and also the senior manager as they ultimately decide the amount of pay rises and STI (bonus) payments if any.
    Good team culture if your prepared to adjust and be involved. Senior management can only go so far, so i've learnt its up to the individual to make it how they want or seek it someone else. There are many different people with different personalities and backgrounds so you dont have to stick with your immediate team. CBA provides various networking events, sports/fitness sessions, etc which are a good way to expand your social circle.

Cons

Some people complain about limited career opportunities and reward/recognition, but i would have to only partly agree. Whilst it is hard to move to other roles, especially if its a completely different Business unit, that's where networking and building contacts (particularly with other senior managers) comes in handy. CBA is a very large organization, so that is a Pro and a Con as your competing in a larger pool for limited roles. The hiring manager would also be more inclined to hire someone they know or gets a good referral from. At the same time, taking into account pay expectations.
    Reward and recognition is also shown but limited. You would have to show you've done a fantastic job and be vocal about it. Senior managers are more inclined to reward their "revenue generators" as lets face it, its a sales culture and that's what their performance is based on. So if they can keep their key sales people happy, they will keep performing.

Senior Management - Be more involved and engaging with the wider team - you will get alot of great feedback if they trust you.
    Direct line managers, reward your staff if they do a great job or put in extra effort. It doesn't cost your anything. If not, one day you will find yourself with bitter staff or no staff at all.

Jan 4, 2015Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and insights - we appreciate your honesty. We hope that this will be helpful for anyone who is interested in working with us. Have a great day!

Mixed review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Lots of good people
    -Great opportunities for latest technology
    -High training budget
    -Lots of opportunities to move within the bank

Cons

-Many incompetent managers who have been there for 10+ years
    -Inconsistent team culture/work life balance
    -Very political
    -Hot desking

Have managers with more than 1 direct report
    Get senior managers with management experience

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Photos