Commonwealth

Updated October 14, 2014
2.2

CEO

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Commonwealth

Pros

You make your own schedule and get out of it what you put into it. If you pursue sales opportunities and love networking with business owners it is a win.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. It is a great opportunity for extra income and it is hard to come up with a negative.

Need to carve out your own path. Not for the directionless.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Commonwealth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Big work. High visibility. Smart people.
    - There's a lot of camaraderie among the in-house folks, as the client can be a little difficult.
    - Things are looking up. No matter what has happened in the past, everyone is starting to look forward and concentrate on the future.
    - It's what you make it. While it feels a little corporate sometimes, your attitude about your work will be the ultimate determining factor in what you get out of the experience. This is a place for the self-starters, the self-motivated. You can do great things if you want to!

Cons

- There are some leftover bad attitudes from the merger. They'll drop off eventually, but you can sense it sometimes. To these people, I say, GET. OVER. IT. It will be healthier for you if you do.
    - More focused on traditional work. Not a ton of interest in digital. This will change! But that's how it is for now.
    - Senior leadership comes around like a blue moon and talks a big talk. But when they leave, things calm down and the people who run the day-to-day can continue concentrating on the work.

The big meetings might seem like a good idea as a way to raise morale and bring everyone together, but to the employees who already feel voiceless and powerless, it makes senior leadership seem a little out of touch. Trust in your foot soldiers - they are keeping this place afloat and are producing groundbreaking work for the client. Stop changing the name! We're all here for the common good and have a lot of desire to contribute.

Nobody is happy here.

Current Employee - Grunt Worker in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Grunt Worker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Commonwealth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a new mug every time the company changes names (hence most employees have a set), a handful of good talent left over from the Goodby days, Summer Fridays, the week off between Xmas and New Year's (if you're lucky).

Cons

Non-existent leadership across the board. Creative is run by a terrible trio we'll call Larry, Curly and Moe. Larry, when present in the office, micromanages. Curly and Moe ignore all the work that needs to be approved. Deadlines are constantly missed. Morale is non-existent. Creatives are viewed as insubordinate if they express an idea or concept that's beyond Larry, Curly and Moe's narrow scope of vision. Campaigns are developed as part of a deck at the last minute without any thought or insight. Those who are at the top are totally blind to the fact that the office is about to implode. The office space itself is inadequate. It's loud and dark. The few existing conference rooms are always filled. There's no place to take a phone call. People constantly complain of headaches and eye strain. Nobody has any hope for a raise. Computers don't have enough memory. Reviews are promised and never given. When employees quit, leadership doesn't care. They seem to think everybody is replaceable, yet they never replace talent. Instead, they load the extra work on the talent that remains. Process is a joke, people make it up as they go along. The whole place is a joke that's not funny at all.

Hellllllooooooooo? Is there ANYONE there..........?! If you can here me, GET A CLUE. If you don't open your eyes, there's going to be a walk out. Go back and read the culture surveys again. We don't want more food. We don't want more mugs. We want to be valued as professionals and treated with respect. We want leadership that's QUALIFIED -- someone who is willing to read a book on how to manage people. If you don't take action, either we will lose the account or everyone will quit all at once.

No Leadership, Communication or Clear Direction

I have been working at Commonwealth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that work at Commonwealth are genuinely good, friendly people that are interested in doing a good job. Work that is produced is quality.

Cons

There is absolutely no senior leadership at Commonwealth. Top leadership is rarely, if ever, present in the building, always traveling somewhere in the world. Leadership does not respond to phone calls or emails regardless of urgency or importance of topic. This leads to total frustration because you cannot get an answer on anything which hinders moving forward on projects. Promises are made about improving communications but nothing ever happens. Promotions are virtually non existent and if you are eligible for a raise, it may be 2 or 3%. Once you deduct the 1.25% Detroit tax, you are left with minimal increase.

My advice to management is to promote and empower the few exceptional people that already work at Commonwealth to be visible, lead moral building and give them the ability to provide direction. These people must be properly informed then directed to share and distribute information. Problem today is there are only a hand full of people that know the big picture and those people are inaccessible or share info on a "need to know" basis.

Leadership Crickets

I have been working at Commonwealth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some great, talented, and experieinced employees who have one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel.

Cons

There's absolutely NO Senior Leadership at Commonwealth or with McCann Detroit. Zero. Nil. Nothing. And it's been this way since McCann took over the Chevy account in April 2013.

If you want to hold on to this major account, make it a priority and devise a plan that installs strong communicators at the top of the agency, replacing the deceitful and absent person who is not trusted, not respected, and not knowledgable.

Worst agency I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Strategist
    Current Employee - Strategist

I have been working at Commonwealth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great clients across the board

Cons

- Top management puts inexperienced staff in senior positions
    - No dedicated HR - Which means if you're one of the teams that is laid off (and this has happened several times in the two years the company has been around, from Milan to Mumbai to Shanghai -- offices wiped off the face of the earth)
    - No training - Just figure it out as you go along
    - No employee evaluations
    - No bonuses

It's time to invest in the right senior people, in training and coaching.