Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation
csiro.au Canberra, Australia 5000+ Employees

Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation – Australia – “CSIRO Ngara Multi-User MIMO Terminals”

Excellent work flexibility and work/life balance

ProsThey offer great work flexibility in terms of hours, part time work, job sharing, types of leave etc, and work/life balance and self improvement through internal courses. This is all dependent on your seniors, however. If you have a supportive manager then you will find it a great place to work in terms of work/life balance and promotion.

ConsToo much change in terms of structure, reporting line, management and project/portfolios and flagships. This uncertainty impacts on morale and makes it hard to achieve or focus on ever-changing goals and priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent and open.

Research intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMet some amazing people who were really passionate about research, it was also a tightly-knit community and people were open to helping others. Very different to working in research.

ConsPay is lower than in industry jobs, job stability is at risk due to cuts in funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate some of the research projects with industry projects to perhaps decrease risk associated with funding, yet still providing people with a chance to do research.

Scientists' Nest

Research Intern (Former Employee)
    North Ryde (Australia)

ProsIf you are scientifically minded this is the place to be. No rubbish with running around administration. You are surrounded by intelligent people.

ConsAbsolutely nothing. Can be too quiet.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential but no atmosphere

ProsThe science work is first class and really interesting. Most of the scientists (clients) appreciate the work you do

ConsYou are treated by management like admin staff and there are constant pressures to push costs down.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Interesting yet frustrating place to work

Research Projects Officer (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsInteresting work, a good group of like minded people to work with on the whole. Opportunity to work on a scale and sophistication virtually impossible in commercial arena. Relatively relaxed schedule and flexible workplace. Excellent superannuation but substandard pay

ConsSubject to political milestones and government budgets in an era where science is undervalued. Advancement virtually nil if you lack a Ph.D. The management by committee syndrome is alive and well here. Nepotism, existance of cliques and some questionable behaviour in the way people are treated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on science and less spin

Relax workplace

ProsBroad variety of research topics, intelligent colleagues, good pay as internship. Good life-word balance, flexible hours.

ConsJob cuts due to federal budget 2014. Very complicated flagship and division structure, bureaucratic very much. Little to none real achievements

It USED to be an amazing place to work

Research Support (Former Employee)
    Brisbane (Australia)

ProsWhen I first joined the CSIRO it was an amazing place to work. Top-level bureaucratic interference was kept at a minimum and everyone contributed to the research in one way or another whether as a researcher or a supporter of research. People were friendly and there was much interaction between people across disciplines and across divisions both socially and professionally. It was a dream place to work.

ConsThe CSIRO which I joined is not the CSIRO which exists today. Management is overtly interfering and stifles innovation. Original thinking is looked down upon and those with a difference of opinion are quietly let go, irrespective of the merit and value of their research, particularly those that propose alternative views to those of CSIRO's major clients (i.e. Chemical and Mining Companies) are quickly let go.
    Management has a propensity to overlook inappropriate conduct, particularly where overt corruption is alleged. None of the SME which predominate in Australian R&D wish to work with the CSIRO as the overwhelming bureaucratic wrangling far outweighs any benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to accept that they exist as a result of research. Research does not exist as a result of them.
    Deal with the hard issues fairly and transparently irrespective of the embarrassment they may cause in the immediate term and treat your employees with courtesy and dignity.

Lastly, you need to take a hard line with those who engage in inappropriate conduct no matter how valuable they might be perceived to be. Covering for such people will not serve the CSIRO well in the long run and will only serve to force other equally valuable and talented people out of the organisation.

Very messy right now

Research Projects Officer (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsInteresting projects that have value beyond making a company richer. Intelligent and sensible people, pleasant and efficient to work with.
    A very good on-site childcare that is also considerably cheaper than local options. A good salary, above average market level for what I do. Flexible working hours, also no problem going part-time if needed (but not the other way, currently).

ConsVery unstable situation at the moment, with internal restructuring and significant budget cuts. Many people are going to lose their jobs. Those who stay will be maxed out to get results in the projects they are involved with. Not enough support from management for research efforts that don't bring immediate economic benefits.

CSIRO exists in many places, and I am sure culture could be different through such a large and distributed organization. I am not happy with the climate around me - very isolated, people don't care about each other, not enough team effort or informal sharing of knowledge and skills (which is actually not good for an R&D organization).

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about science, please.

Research Intern

Research Intern (Former Employee)

ProsFreedom to explore individual ideas and interests when investigating ideas for projects. Good feedback from busy supervisors regarding project progression. Opportunities given to showcase project outcomes in seminar fashion.

ConsWorking culture appeared disorganized and unregulated at times. Lack of coherent structure in the organization, individual research groups work in isolation without communication, can be isolating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore efforts made to create a unified research environment including write ups of current projects undertaken by each individual group.

Better than I could've hoped for.

Vacation Student (Former Employee)
    Canberra (Australia)

ProsGreat and friendly people, lovely workplace culture. Great work/life balance (although that may have been just my supervisor).

ConsThe hiring freeze is the elephant in the room, and experienced and capable staff are slowly being made to leave as their contracts finish. Constant restructuring limits the effectiveness of scientists and leads to politicking. This is to be expected of any large organisation but it seems especially bad here.

Worked for Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation reviews and ratings. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation employees.