Commonwealth of Kentucky

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Beshear

A place from which to retire

IT Network Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits, pay is okay. The state seems committed to keeping it's employees. The time off and paid sick days are some of the most liberal of any place I have worked

ConsThere seems to be very little chance of ever getting a raise. In 5 years, I never got a raise. The employees seem to be to be baggage instead of assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like they are a valued part of the Commonwealth. Platitudes and changes to be seen doing something are not going to work very long. Respect the people who are the real folks who make the state run and treat them as valued co-workers.

Good work stability, great place to start a career, but poor for pay in long run.

Network Analyst (Current Employee) Frankfort, KY

Pros* Decent benefits
    * Flexible work schedule
    * Pay keeps me out of poverty
    * Job security/stability even during recession
    * If you file any job grievances, Personnel Cabinet normally sides with employee which will end up in all back pay/annual leave/sick leave being payed in a lump amount.
    * Easy going employees at facility level, but they can turn on you at Cabinet level
    * Great place to gain experience

Cons* Cost of living adjustments tend to be every 8-10 years
    * Better pay comes from jumping to another job every 2-3 years
    * Intermediate and advanced training opportunities are rare
    * You WILL be pigeonholed into one or two jobs and told that anything outside it should go to the "respective team that handles those matters"
    * Purchasing will take anywhere from 1-12 months depending on your Cabinet

Advice to Senior Management* Instead of training through Lynda.com, should send employees through Microsoft certifications as they would provide a fairly better trained employee.

Terrible place to work, and getting worse

IT Manager (Current Employee) Frankfort, KY

ProsThe work-life balance is about the only thing left that is positive. You get a sick day a month, and a vacation day a month. Everything else has been stripped away over time.

ConsThe pension is gone now. Even those grandfathered in are in danger of having it destroyed. You are at the whim of non-sympathetic politicians. There are no raises. No rewards for doing a good job. Just empty words, and after years of hearing them without action, they cease to have any meaning. Insurance is constantly getting more expensive (my doubled last year). You can only hear "do more with less" for so many years in a row until you start getting angry.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your jobs and protect people's pensions. Lower-level management (like cabinet appointees), you should be lobbying the governor for pay raises for your people. No one can work efficiently when they feel like they are getting shafted by their jobs. People are leaving for better jobs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Office work

ProsState Government jobs are steady.

Conspay raises are few and far

Low Pay

IT Manager (Current Employee) Frankfort, KY

ProsDecent retirement system, if you started before 2008.

ConsIt's very difficult to get anything done in a timely manner, as most employees are not held to any significant performance objectives. Pay is no where near competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with the merit system and pay competitive salaries.

Low pay. Great job security.

Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThe flexible scheduling options are great! I was off every other Friday. The comp time options are great too. Employees work 37.5 hours per week; any hours worked above 37.5, but less than 40 hours will be given as comp time to be used for vacation or personal leave. This made it really easy to build time. Unless you do something really terrible, your job is fairly secure. Write-ups are rare and being fired is even more rare. Of course, this can also be a negative as some employees take advantage of this so there is a lot of absenteeism and poor work ethics. The benefits and retirement options are great! Promotion is likely if you stay with the agency as promotions are based on a "merit" system, where each employee is considered carefully based on points earned by tenure, education, etc. This ensures people aren't being promoted based on favoritism and other inappropriate reasons.

ConsThe pay is pretty low in comparison to similar positions in different agencies. Raises are rare, so whatever you start with, you may be there a while (until promoted). They pay twice per month so you miss out on some paychecks; whereas someone who gets paid every two weeks would receive 26 paychecks per year, state employees only receive 24 paychecks per year. It feels like FOREVER before you get your next paycheck. Again, accountability is low as write-ups and discipline just doesn't happen very much. Also, many state employees are EXTREMELY overworked (and underpaid). They will work you like a dog!! Sometimes, there is just more work than what is physically possible for one human being to do in one day.

Pleasant experience, steady and reliable, pay could be better but great for first job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Frankfort, KY

ProsVery reliable, steady, they give you everything you need to work with, easy deadlines, provide on the job training, great and very nice coworkers, lots of holidays, plenty of time off.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement, pay is limited, and lack of raises are an ongoing concern, health insurance is continuing to be worse every year,

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall pretty good place to work, should encourage employers to continue education, professional certifications

Great Employer and Great Benefits

Social Service Worker I (Current Employee)

ProsDecent pay, good benefits, flexible schedule, good supervisors and co-workers

ConsStressful job, difficult clients, limited resources

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage

Nothing but a number!

ProsGreat co-workers; working at a beautiful park

ConsAt the end of the day you are nothing more than a number

It started as a great opportunity, but ended with no additional opportunity to grow.

Director (Former Employee) Frankfort, KY

ProsGreat people in general. Merit employement is secure, but can breed medicrocy.

ConsQuestionable appointments at the high levels. Difficult to work for people who don't have the adequate exerpience to do their jobs. Unrealistic expectations

Worked for Commonwealth of Kentucky? Contribute to the Community!