Commonwealth of Kentucky

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Beshear

Working for Vocational Rehabilitation is a great job.

ProsI get to help people with disabilities in obtaining employment and make a difference in people's lives.

ConsWe have experienced funding cuts in recent years.

The staff (people in the field doing the work) are wonderful, caring people.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsThe benefits are okay, that's about it.

ConsThe pay is horrible and there have been no raises in five years. No hope for one in the near future either.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should follow through when telling a staff member they are working to get then reclassified so they can be compensated for the extra duties they take on and perform regularly. Don't tell staff you've submitted the paperwork when you haven't.

Mental Health Education Evaluator (QIDP) at Hazelwood Center

Mental Health Education Evaulator (QIDP) (Current Employee)

ProsYou gain a lot of time off quickly and there are a lot of paid holidays. You also have an advantage of getting other state jobs over outside applicants once you are a merit employee. It is also next to impossible to be let go.

ConsIt is much too top heavy and too many micromanagers. The health insurance is not very good. There are very few opportunities to move up unless you move to Frankfort. Incompetent people move up and are rarely penalized.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the double dippers and streamline the hierarchy. Hire people based on merit and not on how much they brown nose. Listen to your staff and act on much of their advice. Stop wasting tax payer money on consultants that have been kicked out of other states because they have led to staff and clients getting hurt.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away, I repeat, stay away. Too much politics

Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) Frankfort, KY

ProsDays off, health insurance, deferred comp, 40/hr wk

ConsPolitics, cliques, mean people, low morale, no incentives, no raises, no motivation, boring mundane work with red tape plastered throughout

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it fun, get people to collaborate instead of hate.

I started 10 yrs ago and in the last year have found the harder you work the less they appreicate you.

Office Coordinator (Current Employee) Morehead, KY

Prosco-workers at field offices are the best ever to work with.

ConsNo Values, No employee appreciation, no ethics, no reasoning for dedication.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house at Frankfort office and Make sure the new Higher ups remembers without field workers there is no need of Higher up.

Very good experience, the work is fun and so are the people

Office Worker (Current Employee) Frankfort, KY

ProsBenefits, work-life, coworkers, pay, health insurance, retirement

Consno raises in years, nothing else that I can think of

Advice to Senior Managementhelp the co workers to get raises

Awesome, great opportunity to work for the best employer in KY

Examiner (Current Employee) Frankfort, KY

ProsBenefits, Schedule, coworkers, and environment

Consnone, give the employees a COLA.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us a raise

Great Job Security & Hours

Legal Assistant (Current Employee) Harlan, KY

Prosset pay schedule, set amount of time off granted that goes up with seniority, good coworkers, professional environment, good office support, front line management is excellent and experienced. Time off whenever needed.

ConsState economy in a negative flux due to politics, no raises in 6 years, furlough days a possibility, little to no chance of advancement depending on the career path you choose. My advice is to gain more education using state assisted programs and transfer into another state job. Entrance salary is always entrance rate of the salary schedule, no money in budget for higher entrance rates for experience or college education.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the morale of your employees into account when balancing the state budget. The sequester does not seem to have affected the lavish decor of the Governor's office or Mansion.

Good people, tough times

ProsGreat people, great support, true passion for helping others. Fast-paced environment that changes often. Adaptability a must! Creativity and thinking outside the box utilized daily.

ConsIn this economy, no raises for going on 8 years, with increased benefit costs and decreased coverage. Lots of beaurocracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication from Central Office

Kentucky State Government

IT Manager (Former Employee) Frankfort, KY

ProsStable job environment, the Retirement benefits used to be the best part of State Government. There are plenty of opportunities for job advancement due to the many different agency IT departments.

ConsIf coming from the outside the pay can be low if you are not started at the midpoint of a grade. The Retirement benefit is not what it used to be, furlough days in previous budgets & no pay raises make it difficult to stay ahead of inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe legislatures should change the retirement system and put all branches of government in the same system. Eliminate all the upper management waste such as Deputy, Commsioners & Executive Director type of positions and leave the management to the Cabinet Secretary, Directors and Branch Managers of the respective areaa.

Worked for Commonwealth of Kentucky? Contribute to the Community!