Commonwealth of Massachusetts Reviews

Reset
3.5
Commonwealth of Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick
Deval Patrick

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, good flexibility (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits, hours are easy and flexible (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Much more than in the private sector (in 7 reviews)

• Negative, discouraging work environment (in 6 reviews)

1. Great Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership. Tone a the top is great, good sense of integrity and promotion from within.

Cons

There should be more external training other than the standardized training that is offered year round

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and remember to engage with employees from time to time give updates on priorities for the office

2. Actually full of smart, interesting people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts (More than a year)

Pros

The garbage you read in the Boston Herald about how state workers are lazy bums is, in my experience, garbage. Most of my coworkers were smart, dedicated, and thoroughly professional - there was only one person I knew who was like the stereotype of the dimwit who spends all day playing solitaire and scratch tickets. They're generally kind, friendly, likable people who are very welcoming to newcomers and happy to train and mentor you. They're also very understanding about health issues or other emergencies if something goes wrong, even if you don't have any paid sick time - I was hospitalized for over a week and still had a job when I came back, which is not something I'd count on most places I've worked.

People dress casually in most of the state offices I've seen, including mine.

There's a lot to learn and a lot of documentation to help you.

The hiring process was quick, efficient, and simple. I e-mailed my resume and cover letter to the hiring manager, got a surprise phone screen the next day (just watch out for that) and the day after that was my first day on the job. Really.

Cons

Unfortunately, the state has been relying more and more on temporary workers with no benefits - so unfortunately what you hear about how state workers have gold-plated bennies might be garbage too. Fortunately, the hourly rates for temporary workers are apt to be great. I made the most money I've ever made working for the state.

Advice to Management

A little more public outreach about the state jobs out there and what people who work for the state actually do might help you recruit good people (and educate the public).

3. Budget Analyst

Current Employee - Fiscal Policy Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Fiscal Policy Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone you work with is young, motivated, and the smartest people in the state. Working for the Senate allows you to network, as well as integrally know the ins and outs of state government. Developing the budget also allows you to know more about specific state agencies and helps you have a more well-rounded understanding of your accounts and the state budget as a whole. I absolutely love my job, especially the people I work with, and my bosses. You gain an expertise with your accounts and your input is respected and acknowledged when it comes to decision making. Salary isn't great but you get great health benefits.

Cons

Like most state jobs, the pay is lacking.
    Work late nights and weekends during budget time.

5. career work

Former Employee - Senior Data Analytics Fraud Examiner in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analytics Fraud Examiner in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts (More than 5 years)

Pros

Elected official . As long as your guy or gall is in office you should stay employed. Insurance and retirement is moderately good. Spouse included for a fee.

Cons

Elected official. If your guy or gal is leaving office you may have to find alternative employment.

Advice to Management

Delegations of duty help with the inclusion factor. Fear of not getting credit for work product is prevalent. Confidence is earned not given.

6. Commonwealth

Former Employee - IPad Support in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - IPad Support in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

great co-workers to work with.

Cons

I feel that there were no cons.

7. Chief of Staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Great place to network and learn about legislative process

Cons

Low salaries and workload comes in waves

8. Instead of work/life balance its life/work balance

Current Employee - Auditor
    Current Employee - Auditor

Pros

Very Flexible hours and if you stay long enough, very generous time off. More holidays than the private sector and workload isn't too overbearing. Unionized positions allow for decent and consistent pay raises in addition to yearly performance raises. Pre-tax transportation and medical cards available.

Cons

Promotional opportunity is slim unless you know someone and make friends. Can be boring at times and the "lifers" are ridiculous, but you can see where they're coming from. Office jobs lack overtime. Low starting pay compared to private sector and no bonuses. Union dues and pension contributions lead to a lower take home pay than private sector jobs. Good thing you don't have to pay SS. No health insurance buyout.

Advice to Management

Try to have more consistent tone from the top, which is difficult when there is changing administrations. Young people are eager to learn so teach and train them.

9. Seasonal Unemployment Claim Assistant

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

Staffs in the agency were nice.

Cons

Worked very hard but salary was very low

Advice to Management

Please higher the starting salary.

10. Happy Employee

Pros

Great Experience, Rewarding Work, Good Training Opportunities

Cons

Hard to advance, low pay, limited design work

11. Evidence Technician

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

Great people in the crime lab. Extremely interesting job.

Cons

Not nearly as challenging as I am looking for. Salary is not competitive and there is limited opportunity for overtime. No room for growth within the unit.

RSS Feed </> Embed