Commonwealth of Massachusetts Reviews

Reset
3.4
Commonwealth of Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick
Deval Patrick

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, good flexibility (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits, hours are easy and flexible (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Much more than in the private sector (in 7 reviews)

• Negative, discouraging work environment (in 6 reviews)

1. Pleasant Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment is very pleasant and engaging. Staff are generally thoughtful recent graduates that care about the policy issues. Can be exciting place to work during budget and intense end of sessions. Work/life balance is best part of job. Very flexible as long as work is completed.

Cons

As with all public sector jobs, salaries are low. Jobs are best suited for those straight out of school or at the beginning of their careers. Difficult to support a family at salary.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide environment that supports innovative ideas and creative ways to solve policy issues. Many staff have terrific ideas that need an ear and critical consideration.

2. Legislative Aide

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

A great and supportive environment. Was exposed to all elements of public policy and legislative work. Set me up for a great career. The benefits are excellent.

Cons

Pay is low and it is difficult to receive raises. The work flow is stop and go at times.

3. Commonwealth of Massachusetts

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference in public policy draws many energetic people to state employment.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement. Hard to get rid of dead weight.

5. Assaistant

Former Employee - Manager in Framingham Center, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Framingham Center, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement and health benefits are excellent, hours were set, vacation can be earned as comp, hours for working OT, very helpful if you are a salary employee, room to advance from within

Cons

Long and short term insurance was not offered, coming from a corporate environment and trying to "manage" union employees is a difficult task, hence giving you a lot of stress

Advice to Management

Back your managers up, teach proper managing Union employees, if your trained you will drive yourself insane

6. Great Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Great leadership. Tone a the top is great, good sense of integrity and promotion from within.

Cons

There should be more external training other than the standardized training that is offered year round

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and remember to engage with employees from time to time give updates on priorities for the office

7. Actually full of smart, interesting people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts (More than a year)

Pros

The garbage you read in the Boston Herald about how state workers are lazy bums is, in my experience, garbage. Most of my coworkers were smart, dedicated, and thoroughly professional - there was only one person I knew who was like the stereotype of the dimwit who spends all day playing solitaire and scratch tickets. They're generally kind, friendly, likable people who are very welcoming to newcomers and happy to train and mentor you. They're also very understanding about health issues or other emergencies if something goes wrong, even if you don't have any paid sick time - I was hospitalized for over a week and still had a job when I came back, which is not something I'd count on most places I've worked. People dress casually in most of the state offices I've seen, including mine. There's a lot to learn and a lot of documentation to help you. The hiring process was quick, efficient, and simple. I e-mailed my resume and cover letter to the hiring manager, got a surprise phone screen the next day (just watch out for that) and the day after that was my first day on the job. Really.

Cons

Unfortunately, the state has been relying more and more on temporary workers with no benefits - so unfortunately what you hear about how state workers have gold-plated bennies might be garbage too. Fortunately, the hourly rates for temporary workers are apt to be great. I made the most money I've ever made working for the state.

Advice to Management

A little more public outreach about the state jobs out there and what people who work for the state actually do might help you recruit good people (and educate the public).

8. The politics of it all is frustrating

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

No career path. If you want a promotion, you better know someone

Advice to Management

Review people on credentials & not who they know or whether they made a financial contribution to the right campaign.

9. Changes with the Administration

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

Learned a lot from great staff for 5 years, then the administration changed and we lost all leadership.

Cons

Managers can be randomly terminated simply because someone who worked on the campaign wants your position and despite have the highest reviews for years.

Advice to Management

Take a leadership course. Don't cuss out your staff and rely on their knowledge, especially when you don't have the knowledge it takes to run the agency.

10. Budget Analyst

Current Employee - Fiscal Policy Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Fiscal Policy Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone you work with is young, motivated, and the smartest people in the state. Working for the Senate allows you to network, as well as integrally know the ins and outs of state government. Developing the budget also allows you to know more about specific state agencies and helps you have a more well-rounded understanding of your accounts and the state budget as a whole. I absolutely love my job, especially the people I work with, and my bosses. You gain an expertise with your accounts and your input is respected and acknowledged when it comes to decision making. Salary isn't great but you get great health benefits.

Cons

Like most state jobs, the pay is lacking. Work late nights and weekends during budget time.

11. career work

Former Employee - Senior Data Analytics Fraud Examiner in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analytics Fraud Examiner in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts (More than 5 years)

Pros

Elected official . As long as your guy or gall is in office you should stay employed. Insurance and retirement is moderately good. Spouse included for a fee.

Cons

Elected official. If your guy or gal is leaving office you may have to find alternative employment.

Advice to Management

Delegations of duty help with the inclusion factor. Fear of not getting credit for work product is prevalent. Confidence is earned not given.

RSS Feed </> Embed