Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Updated October 22, 2014
3.4

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick
Deval Patrick

Pros
  • Good HR policies, decent work life balance, and people who care about doing the right thing (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, hours are easy and flexible (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Much more than in the private sector (in 7 reviews)

• Pay less than industry averages, union creates unhealthy work environment (slackers vs (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the most challanging job, no professional development or advancement.

Current Employee - EDP Analyst I in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - EDP Analyst I in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

wont be challenged beyond what you've always been doing.

Cons

No professional development, no advancement

help your employees advance, provide professional development.

Hard job, reasonable pay.

Former Employee - Mental Health Worker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Worker in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Regular salary increases because unionized. Hard to get fired.

Cons

Unpleasant atmosphere, old school supervisors - people are unhappy at work. We had obligatory extra shifts. Because of union seniority rules, it's impossible to get holidays off until you've worked there like 10 years. Not enough training for people who work there.

Believe that we know something, trust us to make changes, loosen up on some of the needless rules, make time off fair, let us go to trainings.

I was an ADA for 11 years, trying all types of felonies from narcotics violations to murder

Current Employee - Assistant District Attorney in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant District Attorney in Brockton, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing trial experience, great people

Cons

Money is not good. Very stressful job

Company values are skewed

Postive workforce

Current Employee - COII in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - COII in Boston, MA

Pros

salary, benefits, clean environment, ability for advancement

Cons

investment in employee stressors., suicide prevention

engage in positive dialog to increase awareness of and prevention of employee burnout

Lack of professional respect and poor compensation

Former Employee - Attorney for the MA Committee for Public Counsel Services in Lawrence, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

As an independent contractor, representing indigent clients through the MA Committee For Public Counsel Services, I could set my own hours, which allowed for some flexibility. However, as an attorney I, of course, had to meet the demands of representing my clients and our professional standards.

Cons

Contract attorneys, who represent indigent clients through the MA Committee For Public Counsel Services, are paid very, very poorly. I understand that it's taxpayer money, but the micromanagement that goes into overseeing the attorneys by the Committee For Public Counsel Services is overly burdensome and time consuming. Everything must be justified and everything is questioned, from billing to professional judgments made in representing clients. I don't know of many (any?) contract attorneys who wouldn't rather be practicing law in another setting, no matter how dedicated they are to providing equal justice for the indigent.

Heed the recommendations of the Massachusetts Bar Association Blue Ribbon Commission on Criminal Justice Attorney Compensation, whose report was issued in May, 2014. It can be found on the Massachusetts Bar Association website. Search for attorney compensation. The report will come up at the top of the list.

Interesting job, but not enough money.

Current Employee - Secretary in Barnstable, MA
    Current Employee - Secretary in Barnstable, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many of my coworkers were friendly and helpful. Benefits were good including insurance and days off.

Cons

Not enough room for growth as there are few positions to advance to. Salary is very much lacking. I found the heirarchy to be frustrating. Not enough training.

Bureaucracy Defined

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working here allowed me to gain some good experience. I got very good at the one specific task I was assigned with.

Cons

Nothing gets done in state government. There is always an opportunity to pass the buck and it never fails to happen. Perhaps it is a product of the current work environment with baby boomers, but there is constant threat of retirement and those eligible are willing to run out the clock and avoid learning anything that would help them in the increasingly digital workplace.

Bring the work force up to date.

Very Negative Experience Working Here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Good benefits, hours are easy and flexible

Cons

Understaffed departments lead to minimal training and support, if any. The system, in general, seems overly concerned with procedure at the expense of common sense. My particular manager was very negative, condescending, and difficult to work for, as illustrated by the multiple employees that came and went in his department. This should have served as an indicator to HR that there is a management issue there, but seemed to be ignored or overlooked. Negative, discouraging work environment.

Channels for training and support are absolutely necessary to foster successful employees. Understaffed, overworked, or unwilling management is not an excuse for the absence of these resources.

Had an extremely unorganized and unprofessional intern experience here.

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Easy hours, easy work, good life-work balance.

Cons

Very negative work climate. Very unprofessional.

Some serious issues that HR should have quashed years ago.

In the final quarter of your working career, swap corporate rat race and job insecurity for balanced work and home life

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, great retirement/pension plan, good health insurance provided at retirement, union protection for non-management staff, downtown location, 37.5 hour work week (no "extended" hours), flexible work hours, work from home possible one day per week, 4-day work week possible, vested in defined-benefits pension after 10 years

Cons

Dealing with politicians and bureaucratic red tape, downtown location, no parking, less-than-average vacation time, lower salaries than comparable private sector positions, occasional dealing with below-average motivated colleagues, limited opportunities to attend employer-paid conferences and professional development training/events (due to budgetary limitations)

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Photos