Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Updated December 13, 2014
3.3

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick
Deval Patrick

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, good flexibility (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits, hours are easy and flexible (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Much more than in the private sector (in 7 reviews)

• inefficient work environment, few openings (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Bureaucracy at it's finest

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some people (perhaps 1/4) who are really getting things done. Decent benefits.

Cons

Far too many people who are "lifers" who don't do much of anything. When budgets are cut, people are laid off and get to "bump" into positions where they have little to no qualifications. Everything that needs to get done goes through so many layers, it's amazing much gets accomplished at all. Week or narcissistic Directors have no idea how to groom their staff and very little advocacy for staff. Government at it's worst!

the deck is stacked in favor of the status quo

Former Employee - Social Worker
    Former Employee - Social Worker

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time

Pros

Many dedicated professionals who seem to care about their clients and community. Reasonable salaries and opportunity to work overtime. the union is accessible and supportive.

Cons

Promotional opportunities are limited to those who fit the mold and do not rock the boat. If you are not one of the favored, efforts are made to discredit you which can be quite disconcerting.

Emphasis is often placed on meeting statistical goals while the reasons for the work, I.e. The people being served, can get forgotten.

Conduct exit interviews. Hold APMs accountable for turnover in staff. If people are leaving some regions in droves consider that you may have a management problem.

Not the most challanging job, no professional development or advancement.

Current Employee - EDP Analyst I in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - EDP Analyst I in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

wont be challenged beyond what you've always been doing.

Cons

No professional development, no advancement

help your employees advance, provide professional development.

It was a good place to start an entry level career but advancement was based on politics

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The job security was wonderful, and full time.

Cons

Not a lot of incentive to work hard, so only a few people did actual work while the rest socialized

Hard job, reasonable pay.

Former Employee - Mental Health Worker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Worker in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Regular salary increases because unionized. Hard to get fired.

Cons

Unpleasant atmosphere, old school supervisors - people are unhappy at work. We had obligatory extra shifts. Because of union seniority rules, it's impossible to get holidays off until you've worked there like 10 years. Not enough training for people who work there.

Believe that we know something, trust us to make changes, loosen up on some of the needless rules, make time off fair, let us go to trainings.

I was an ADA for 11 years, trying all types of felonies from narcotics violations to murder

Current Employee - Assistant District Attorney in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant District Attorney in Brockton, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing trial experience, great people

Cons

Money is not good. Very stressful job

Company values are skewed

Postive workforce

Current Employee - COII in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - COII in Boston, MA

Pros

salary, benefits, clean environment, ability for advancement

Cons

investment in employee stressors., suicide prevention

engage in positive dialog to increase awareness of and prevention of employee burnout

Lack of professional respect and poor compensation

Former Employee - Attorney for the MA Committee for Public Counsel Services in Lawrence, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

As an independent contractor, representing indigent clients through the MA Committee For Public Counsel Services, I could set my own hours, which allowed for some flexibility. However, as an attorney I, of course, had to meet the demands of representing my clients and our professional standards.

Cons

Contract attorneys, who represent indigent clients through the MA Committee For Public Counsel Services, are paid very, very poorly. I understand that it's taxpayer money, but the micromanagement that goes into overseeing the attorneys by the Committee For Public Counsel Services is overly burdensome and time consuming. Everything must be justified and everything is questioned, from billing to professional judgments made in representing clients. I don't know of many (any?) contract attorneys who wouldn't rather be practicing law in another setting, no matter how dedicated they are to providing equal justice for the indigent.

Heed the recommendations of the Massachusetts Bar Association Blue Ribbon Commission on Criminal Justice Attorney Compensation, whose report was issued in May, 2014. It can be found on the Massachusetts Bar Association website. Search for attorney compensation. The report will come up at the top of the list.

Interesting job, but not enough money.

Current Employee - Secretary in Barnstable, MA
    Current Employee - Secretary in Barnstable, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many of my coworkers were friendly and helpful. Benefits were good including insurance and days off.

Cons

Not enough room for growth as there are few positions to advance to. Salary is very much lacking. I found the heirarchy to be frustrating. Not enough training.

The Board is a Massachusetts government agency, but it is a distinct political entity with a strong republican bias.

Former Employee - Anon in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Anon in Wakefield, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When the Board's agenda and that of the public are congruent, as is frequently the case, there can be a tremendous sense of serving the public good. As with all state agencies, the benefits are continually being reduced to conform more closely to that of the private sector, but the benefits remain good. The pay scale for lower-level employees is slightly above average, and pay is adjusted upward according to seniority. The pay scale for professionals and middle management is average.

Cons

Advancement opportunities for attorneys and management staff are poor with a definite, hard upper limit. The Board has a distinct personality of its own, with numerous cliques and a great deal of political maneuvering. The management is largely composed of political appointees who consider themselves part of the elite. The non-elite, e.g. "you" are merely a cog in the machine. Even if you're an attorney, your opinion is valued only to the extent that it conforms to their agenda. The peons, secretaries etc., are ignored except as problems arise.

Be less political.