Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
3.1

CEO

Pros
  • Working for any government entity will prove to have great benefits and resources (in 7 reviews)

• Great place to work if you are looking for job security (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Additionally, salary can be less than private sector (in 2 reviews)

• Many more opportunities for advancement at Harrisburg (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyable experience

Current Employee - Casino Compliance Representative in Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Casino Compliance Representative in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good working conditions, nice work-life balance.

Cons

Shifts are not so desirable.

The best job I ever had, but I had to leave because...

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits and pension plan, great paid time off, the people I work with are fantastic, and there is plenty of free training available. You won't find a better work life balance unless you are in the wrong agency.

Cons

Compensation is very low with increases being very rare. This leads the best people to leave with underperformers moving up because there is no one else. Budgets are cut year after year, so when people retire their positions are typically not filled. And horrible performing employees lots of times are just passed around from one agency to another. The IT organization has been cut so badly that they can not provide the proper services to the agencies which means nothing can get done. Things are not spoken about in terms of weeks or months, but in years because it takes so long to get anything done. Many people also have to pay for parking which can present another financial hardship. Why work here when you can work somewhere else and make 30% more money. It's really a shame because it was the best job I ever had, but the pay put my family in debt and had a negative impact on my marriage. Wish I hadn't taken it in the first place.

Take care of your high achievers financially or they will leave. It's that simple b/c most people have a family that they have to provide for and the salaries are just not cutting it, especially with no annual increases or bonuses.

excellent employer

Current Employee - Challenging in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Challenging in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

offers the opportunity for excellent job security.

Cons

unfortunately there is limited advancement due to refusal of senior employees to leave.

pay better

Typical government employment...

Current Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Benefits are decent, most of the people are decent, too. At times you really feel like you are making a difference.

Cons

For too many it is just a job, and many of those are union people who are not willing to do anything extra to help out

Set a better example of what is expected, and seek to remove the union mentality that is too strong in the government structure.

Okay for Commonwealth of PA

I worked at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Pros

Great Benefits and Great People

Cons

Pay Freeze for Five Plus Years

Pay your employees

A great place to work with plenty of opportunity

Former Employee - State Trooper in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - State Trooper in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A great job to have with plenty of opportunity for advancement. Great pay and benefits.

Cons

The schedule is not always the best.

Working for the Commonwealth

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Pros

Great pay, benefits and hours.

Cons

Training in some positions is not the best and promotional potential can be very limited in the Pittsburgh area.

Would love to see a standardized training plan in place for all positions even if limited to strong supervisory leadership.

Very rewarding.

I worked at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time

Pros

Constituent services delivery helped provide feelings of accomplishment while providing an excellent work and life balance. Good retirement and benefits.

Cons

Politics can be trying at times. Additionally, salary can be less than private sector. Reduction in staff makes service delivery increasingly difficult at times.

Voc Rehab Counselor

Current Employee - Voc Rehab Counselor in DuBois, PA
    Current Employee - Voc Rehab Counselor in DuBois, PA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great salary for a new VRC - benefits, and paid holidays.

Cons

Poor supervision and communication of requirements - no positive feedback. I did not have a voice as a new member of the staff. Probation for six months - which makes no sense! I relocated from five hours away and another state. I was not treated well nor was I given time to acclimate before having 100+ customers to care for - highly judged and micro-managed to the point I resigned - less than a month before probation was over. It was THAT BAD there! I can't say all the OVR's are like the Dubois location. So glad I'm out - but, looking for a new job now!!!

Listen to the counselors - less birthday and holiday celebrations and more serious discussions of how to improve the quality of work experience. Value the VRC's - most work diligently - stop coddling the inferior and assist the new staff members succeed. That's all I asked for and was not heard. I left a good paying state job because of poor management. That should not have happened!

It's government work, so that's about it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All depends on who you work for. Some people are treated really well. Others, not so much. The more people you know, the better the experience.

Cons

It's government. So it's inefficient, bloated, full of people who don't really know what they're doing. Every now and again they get something right.