Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

good

Clerk Typist II (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood benefits, location, training, nice coworkers

Consno room for advancement, communication between case workers and clerical staff

Advice to Senior Managementmore chances for advancement more customer service training

The Department of health can be very beneficial for learning about cancer, and birth & death certificates.

Clerk Typist II (Current Employee)
Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat coworkers, and management is willing to work with schedules. The pay is decent, and they have great benefits.

ConsIf you are the type person that likes to gossip this is not the place for you. No matter what you hear do not repeat it. Treat EVERYTHING with the up most confidentiality.

State jobs make you lazy

Auditor (Current Employee)
Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, holiday schedule is good, get lots of sick time.

ConsMicro managers, time police, mundane work, very bad vacation accrual

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about every second a person is at work and treat them like adults!

Very satisfied serving the public

Income Maintenance Caseworker (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time

ProsIt affords me the opportunity to provide help to the less fortunate people in our society

ConsKeeping up with the demand and needs of our clients

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

No Satisfaction

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

ProsSalary for some position and decent benefits but at a continuing higher price to the employee paid time off not bad

ConsEmployees knowledge and experience from middle management on down is disrespected giving the employee no real say in their work. Creates a poor work environment on a daily basis as the employee growth is secondary to Directors closed minded views

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to Collect a paycheck & do the bidding of those who will sell you out the minute one of there orders goes wrong then this is the job for you.

Ok place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

ProsStable Quiet job, if you ilke it

ConsNot challenging, ok for starters

Commonwealth of PA - Department of Transportation

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time for more than 10 years

ProsModern workforce focused on safety, project delivery and mobility. Hard work and innovative ideas are appreciated and rewarded.

ConsPay. Only a single, minor pay increase over the last several years. In some cases subordinates making more money than the manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of working as many jobs as possible. Further advancement relies on a well-rounded employee.

Great Benefits

Human Resource Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania full-time

ProsOpportunity to work with a diverse work force, learn, and grow with one of the state’s largest employers. There are many agencies with different missions and values. This employer offers something for anyone.

ConsManagement pay freezes and the false negative perception of government workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep protections in place to minimize political influence over the workforce. Pennsylvania public servants are among the very best employees an employer could ask for.

Promotes the uneducated and passes over college graduates.

Hollidaysburg, PA

ProsThe salary and benefits are attractive.

ConsPeople with no education are promoted frequently into positions that college graduates should hold. There is much incompetency in higher level and management positions due to this.

Things were good, now not so much.

IT Generalist I (Current Employee)
Harrisburg, PA

ProsCertain classifications have more job security.

ConsAdvancement is difficult and is not necessarily based on merit but tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with the civil service system, make upward movement possible from the inside based on meritorious service not time of service. Match or exceed salaries of the private sector, bring in more young and college aged talent.

Worked for Commonwealth of Pennsylvania? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania reviews and ratings. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania employees.