Commonwealth of Virginia

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015
3.5

Terry R. McAuliffe

Excellent foot in the door for aspiring auditors

Former Employee - Auditor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Auditor in Richmond, VA

I worked at Commonwealth of Virginia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts is a great way for an aspiring auditor to launch their career even before they've completed their accounting courses. You will be given immediate experience as a member of an audit team with responsibilities that will grow as fast as you can handle them. The team members you work with are constantly moving on to major accounting firms giving you contacts almost everywhere you need them. Don't hesitate to accept this opportunity if internal audit is where you want to go.

Cons

Try to avoid being placed on solo audits that are over your head early in your career here. Every opportunity to work with experienced team members will pay off. Save the solo work until you've gotten a few audits under your belt.

See above. Careful not to stunt a young auditors growth by placing them into the deep end before they can swim.

Challenging work but the organization within state government is exactly what you'd expect -- lacking at all levels.

Current Employee - Field Services Technician II in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Field Services Technician II in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Virginia

Pros

In my position I have a great amount of independence and variety in my daily routine. Designing and implementing networks is also challenging, as are other technical projects.

Cons

Lack of organization is extremely frustrating and the work load is unbelievabley high. Long days are quite common and there is no compensation for overtime even though we are considered salary.

Hire more people. Trying to cover the entire state with a team of five is rediculous, especially considering the nature of the environment we work in. Also I would suggest a clear and easily available set of "Standard Operating Procedures" for all new employees. The fact that I have still never gotten my new employee training/orientation is a joke, especially considering the hazards of working inside prisons among general population.

Usual government red tape, but overall great place to work.

Current Employee - Healthcare Compliance Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Healthcare Compliance Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Virginia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teleworking opportunities are great...lots of room to be creative as long you are productive.

Cons

Low salaries...Salaries are not competitive with private sector.

Reward the hard workers who demonstrate commitment and investment in what they do.

Commonwealth of Virginia - many good people, but many layers of bureaucracy

I worked at Commonwealth of Virginia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

long-term benefits, promotion opportunities, salary, mostly secure for long-term job, holidays, many co-workers. Many skills transfer between agencies, so you can apply for other jobs if wanted.

Cons

Bureaucracy can make things move very slowly and can increase a lot of unnecessary paperwork. There were more internal "power-struggles" than I would have expected.

I could trust the inmates more than administration.

I worked at Commonwealth of Virginia

Pros

The insurance package is OK,

Cons

Administration tries to intrap you with policy and procedures, lies, that may cost you your job, put you in prison, or your life.

With management protecting management, I have nothing to share with them.

It's Okay

I have been working at Commonwealth of Virginia full-time

Pros

Benefits, Work-Life Balance, Independent Work Culture, Interesting Projects

Cons

Low Pay, Low Moral, Low Employee Motivation, Very Limited Growth Opportunities

Moral, encouragement and acknowledgment goes a long way when the workforce is not at-will.

Excellent

Current Employee - Business Systems Architect in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Architect in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Virginia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Teleworking
    - Liberal time off policy

Cons

- Too much policy
    - Personal Growth
    - Budget Issue

- Provide better benefits.

The benefits are the best part of the job

I have been working at Commonwealth of Virginia

Pros

benefits, flexible schedule and teleworking

Cons

working with unmotivated people and horrible management

Some benefits but a lot of bureaucracy and hypocrisy

I have been working at Commonwealth of Virginia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Telework opportunities are the best part for me. Without that, I'd probably really be struggling to stay positive.

Cons

Many buildings/floors are terrible. Cubicle walls and furniture are falling apart and from the '60's and '70's. Everything is really slow - lots of bureaucracy and lack of action. Lots of "studies" done that don't seem to go anywhere. For many agencies. there is no $ for training, development, mileage reimbursement, equipment,..... No pay increases over the past ~7 years (except for 1 year). Disappointing considering many of the appointed political positions get multiple pay increases over their 4 year terms.

To the Administration: don't tell employees that things are dire and $ needs to be saved when you provide significant pay increases for your appointees. Doesn't build trust or respect.

Definitely different than private sector

Current Employee - Health Educator in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Health Educator in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Virginia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leave policy is generous, so for those with small children the ability to be present for school activities is good. Not going to work weekends (office clears out after 8 hours) definitely very structured. There are not a lot of questions when it comes to policies; every conceivable iteration has been planned for.

Cons

Pay is terrible. No scheduled increases.

Allow for more free-thought.

Commonwealth of Virginia Photos