Communicare Health Services

Updated February 26, 2015
2.0

Communicare Health Services Founder & CEO Stephen L. Rosedale
Stephen L. Rosedale

The hospital itself is very nice, however, the management was hard to work for.

I have been working at Communicare Health Services full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were great.

Cons

Management put me in positions where I had to choose whether or not to compromise my integrity.

Do not lie to your employees.

The worst professional decision I have ever made!!

I have been working at Communicare Health Services

Pros

staffing was increased which is always a good thing but they cut the staff when census changes

Cons

rules apply only to those management wants them to apply to. Regional staff state they want to treat everyone with respect and not "crucify" people for making a mistake yet they don't tell the employees where they stand and they talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Take a good strong look at the regional teams and make sure they are fair and consistent with facility staff. Listen to the facility staff and recognize that your reputation is a result of the poor decisions made my management. respect those that have worked hard for your company and if someone does something wrong, have enough respect for them to actually tell them what they did wrong so they have an opportunity to correct the mistake as opposed to asking good staff to leave without even knowing why they are asked to leave. Take accountability for the decisions you make as regional and corporate staff as opposed to having others pay the price

interesting work but lack of support

Former Employee - Corporate Chef
    Former Employee - Corporate Chef

I worked at Communicare Health Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits, immediate supervisor knowledgeable, some corporate employees were assets and helpful,
    able to work fairly indepently with some latitudes in objectives and goals. Able to change protocols and assess issues to be dealt with in timely manner.

Cons

office culture was weird , too many "bosses" wanting to many priorities jobs done, insufficient resources to do th job well.

Looks nice on the outside until you work on the inside. Be careful if you want to keep your licensure.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Lorain, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Lorain, OH

I worked at Communicare Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with the residents (if you can make any time for it after being overwhelmed with responsibilities). Salary is reasonable. Paid holidays off.

Cons

No room for promotions, incentives, or bonuses. Management team is not cohesive (i.e. power struggles), profit-driven vs. client centered, unethical practices, understaffed, poor resident care.

Praise your workers when they do well. Don't focus so much on criticizing and demeaning them. Make them feel like they are appreciated and you will get better results. Make sure your 90-day reviews are accurate and not on hear-say. Allow your whole team to participate in decision-making and allow them to speak their professional ideas and opinions. Give incentives. Hire more STNA's and Nurses, and make sure you have properly trained and certified staff for your locked Mental Health and Alzheimer's/Dementia units. Care for your residents, not just your pocket book.

Decent Company

Current Employee - Admissions Director
    Current Employee - Admissions Director

I have been working at Communicare Health Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have the opprotunity to impact the lives of others daily.

Cons

There is a huge disconnect between the corporate office and field employees. It seems as if its all about the all mighty dollar. Sad.

Re-connect!

Run while you can

Current Employee - RN in Copley, OH
    Current Employee - RN in Copley, OH

I have been working at Communicare Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

LOTS of opportunity! Many many jobs available to apply for

Cons

Administrator is over bearing and yells often at staff on units

Get a Clue!!!

Supervisor

I worked at Communicare Health Services

Pros

Pay and benefits and never down time

Cons

As the supervisor you are the only go to nurse in the two facilities and you have your own floor to work if not two due to a call off. There is no consideration for issues that arise in many people's lives like a family member being hospitalized, you still get points for absence even with documentation. Snow storms do not get consideration.

This is a horrible company with illegal work practices.

Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Berea, OH
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Berea, OH

I have been working at Communicare Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good here.

Cons

The culture is terrible. Management comes out with a list of rules every week; all they wanna do is stand by and watch everyone burn. They have moved adult residents into the peds building because of money, which was detrimental to the residents' health and against their family's wishes. They treat their employees like children. If you do something good you get a piece of candy, if you make a mistake you get written up. Well it's hard not to make mistakes when you are given the work of three people and there's only one of you. If you call off you are yelled at for it. If you don't get your work done, you will be written up, but there is usually not enough time to get it done in eight hours. So you must work through lunch (off the clock-illegal); and oftentimes you must work after hours- again off the clock because OT is not allowed, but if you don't get it done you'll get in trouble. I once stayed on the clock an extra half hour to finish my work because other coworkers put me behind, and the next day I was forced to sign an adjustment sheet saying that I punched out on time. If I were paid for all the time I worked off the clock I would have a substantial savings account. Equipment in the kitchen is faulty and frequently catches on fire. Myself and several co-workers have been electrocuted. No one cares. They are so cheap they won't replace anything. A fridge in the kitchen went down last Christmas, still is not fixed. Probably never will be. All they care about is money, to the detriment of their employees and residents. If you are fortunate enough to get a raise the highest you can get is 2%. Not worth the paper it's printed on. Prison camp like conditions. Also you must work every weekend unless you request one off, and even then it's no guarantee. But management does whatever they want.

Quit.

I worked in one of Communicare's nursing homes for many years.

Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Akron, OH

I worked at Communicare Health Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a very clean nursing home.

Cons

The resident to nurse ratio is way too high. The demands that are placed on nurses are not realistic. We work eight hour shifts and are expected to complete a 12 hour workload plus take a 30 minute break and get out on time. Many of the STNA's are disrespectful and have low work ethics.

Higher more nurses! There should be 6 nurses on 1st and 2nd shifts. On one side there are 76 resident and only two nurses. The residents have dementia and require extensive care. On the afternoon shift families visit and call, physicians write orders and there are two heavy med passes. Residents have behaviors and fall. This requires extra nursing care and reports to be filled out. Departments have been eliminated and the work falls to the nurses. How can you expect your nurses to take a break and get out on time AND deliver quality care with this workload? I have heard several poor reviews from people in the community about this nursing home from those who have removed their loved ones and placed them in another facility.

Great experience!

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Communicare Health Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people and lots of growth potential.

Cons

I liked it and had a great experience, not much to say here.

Good people who cared about their employees.