Communicare Health Services

Updated September 10, 2014
1.8

Communicare Health Services Founder & CEO Stephen L. Rosedale
Stephen L. Rosedale

This is a horrible company with illegal work practices.

Current Employee - Dietary Aide  in  Berea, OH
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Berea, OH

I have been working at Communicare Health Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is nothing good here.

Cons

The culture is terrible. Management comes out with a list of rules every week; all they wanna do is stand by and watch everyone burn. They have moved adult residents into the peds building because of money, which was detrimental to the residents' health and against their family's wishes. They treat their employees like children. If you do something good you get a piece of candy, if you make a mistake you get written up. Well it's hard not to make mistakes when you are given the work of three people and there's only one of you. If you call off you are yelled at for it. If you don't get your work done, you will be written up, but there is usually not enough time to get it done in eight hours. So you must work through lunch (off the clock-illegal); and oftentimes you must work after hours- again off the clock because OT is not allowed, but if you don't get it done you'll get in trouble. I once stayed on the clock an extra half hour to finish my work because other coworkers put me behind, and the next day I was forced to sign an adjustment sheet saying that I punched out on time. If I were paid for all the time I worked off the clock I would have a substantial savings account. Equipment in the kitchen is faulty and frequently catches on fire. Myself and several co-workers have been electrocuted. No one cares. They are so cheap they won't replace anything. A fridge in the kitchen went down last Christmas, still is not fixed. Probably never will be. All they care about is money, to the detriment of their employees and residents. If you are fortunate enough to get a raise the highest you can get is 2%. Not worth the paper it's printed on. Prison camp like conditions. Also you must work every weekend unless you request one off, and even then it's no guarantee. But management does whatever they want.

Quit.

LICENSED NURSE

I have been working at Communicare Health Services

Pros

Their census is always up. They rarely cancel employees due to low census.

Cons

Poor and incompetent management. Lots of nepotism. The unit managers don't do anything to support the units the are managing, all they do is go to meetings 24/7 and pass on the most simplest task to the already thinned-stretched nurses on the floor. They do not recognize employees who work hard and try go above and beyond.

Get to working seriously. Recognize your best employees and encourage them to do their very best.

RN Supervisor

Current Employee - Nurse  in  Berea, OH
    Current Employee - Nurse in Berea, OH

Pros

There are a few decent nurses there, rumor has it other communicare facilities are not as poorly run as this one.

Cons

Continually extremely short staffed on nights, work multiple units plus responsibilities, DON never responds and doesn't care. Management doesn't support staff leaves us to drown. Always short large number of nurses due to people unhappy with the way they are treated. DON doesnt know most do staff, so they will say no to anything requested by her. The few staff that didn't quit with this administration says this is the worst it's ever been. You have seniority if you have been employed around a year. Management comes in and goes as they please, if they have an obligation it's okay but god forbid if you help out all the time and you need something. We all track when they get in and when they go. Biggest thing is no support, they will watch you sink like the titanic and not even care. We can be short 2 or more nurses and they must have forgot how to be a nurse. Soon they will remember because there isn't anyone left. Corporate hr is reaching out asking why so many nurses are leaving, and has us contact people to see their response but its just not good enough. 3 DON's in 2 years, it's gone down hill since I started and I'm on my way to another facility where the nurses are long term.

Support your staff when they need it before there isn't one last employee or nurse left. Staff the schedule or work like every other place does, none of the 4 adon's or DON work the night shift and dont even know the staff that doesn't get them to comply. Disorganization and no accountability because everyone's got to leave by 3 pm. Whatever with this turn over corporate is already assessing the situation. Treat your staff like their human beings. Accountability.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I wouldn't send my dog to be put down here! chardon, ohio location

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Chardon, OH
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Chardon, OH

I worked at Communicare Health Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have plenty of hours to pick up as a nurse.

Cons

Be careful not to care too much because there are inside clicks, like high school, who do not want you to shine and make them look bad. These are usually the upper managers that don't do anything all day! They need to fire them and start new. The have set rules, but they only thing only certain ppl, usually outside the click, needs to follow. This place is nasty. They treat these folks any kind of way. They always cut hours because they constantly lose their patients (residents). Then they can't keep staff because of the way they treat ppl. Do urself a favor if they don't do you one first. Don't put ur family here and don't work for them. This company is going down in the dumps! They hire anyone with a pulse.

Hey, corporate! You need to check whose running ur places because all of them are not fit to do the job!

Supervisor

I worked at Communicare Health Services

Pros

Pay and benefits and never down time

Cons

As the supervisor you are the only go to nurse in the two facilities and you have your own floor to work if not two due to a call off. There is no consideration for issues that arise in many people's lives like a family member being hospitalized, you still get points for absence even with documentation. Snow storms do not get consideration.

I worked in one of Communicare's nursing homes for many years.

Former Employee - Charge Nurse  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Akron, OH

I worked at Communicare Health Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a very clean nursing home.

Cons

The resident to nurse ratio is way too high. The demands that are placed on nurses are not realistic. We work eight hour shifts and are expected to complete a 12 hour workload plus take a 30 minute break and get out on time. Many of the STNA's are disrespectful and have low work ethics.

Higher more nurses! There should be 6 nurses on 1st and 2nd shifts. On one side there are 76 resident and only two nurses. The residents have dementia and require extensive care. On the afternoon shift families visit and call, physicians write orders and there are two heavy med passes. Residents have behaviors and fall. This requires extra nursing care and reports to be filled out. Departments have been eliminated and the work falls to the nurses. How can you expect your nurses to take a break and get out on time AND deliver quality care with this workload? I have heard several poor reviews from people in the community about this nursing home from those who have removed their loved ones and placed them in another facility.

Poor management, ever changing priorities

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Communicare Health Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

While it varies greatly on your manager, corporate employees enjoy a great deal of flexibility in their schedules. The vision of the CEO - while never fulfilled - is inspiring.

Cons

Management is incompetent and forever reinventing the wheel to address the most recent problem. Politics is the name of the game with most of the big corporate players.

The CEO needs to pay closer attention to what his other senior leadership is up to. If they had the heart of Mr. Rosedale, the company would be a success regardless of the economic environment.

educational

I worked at Communicare Health Services

Pros

its a learning enviroment where you learn a diverse amount of things

Cons

pay could be better and perks also

dont believe everything you hear

Great experience!

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Communicare Health Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very nice people and lots of growth potential.

Cons

I liked it and had a great experience, not much to say here.

Good people who cared about their employees.

Worked for Communicare Health Services? Contribute to the Community!