Communication Service for the Deaf Reviews

Wonderful

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Communication Service for the Deaf full-time

Pros

CSD is a great place to work! They truly care for our employees, and we do a lot of things for the community. I have never worked for a company that does so much to help the community. For it to be a non profit company they also do way more for the employees than most larger for profit places.

Cons

The scheduling could be better, having it change every month is not good. It makes it hard to make plans ahead of time.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Current Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Lubbock, TX

Pros

The company has made great strides to assist those with a hearing or speech disability communicate with others in a effective and beneficial way. This is a great company to work for if you are looking to assist those individuals or groups that use this service.

Cons

Better compensation awards and benefits to employees who have been with the company for a long while instead of just the new employees coming onto the team.

Great place to learn and develop!

Current Employee - Texas in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Austin, TX

I have been working at Communication Service for the Deaf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

start up feel, opportunities to learn and grow, great coworkers and environment, amazing location and office space

Cons

the salaries are not competitive

Great place to work!

I have been working at Communication Service for the Deaf full-time

Pros

The healthcare benefits are pretty good as well at the 403(b) and paid-time-off. The management team is pretty cohesive. I have grown within the company in a positive manner throughout my employment. Pretty flexible hours.

Cons

The rate of pay is not comparable to the pay in the area. There is no room for advancement. There is too much weight put on one person's shoulders at one time.

Advice to Management

Increase the rate of pay to be comparable with other companies in the area. Be more visible in the call centers.

6. There is always room for improvement

Pros

It is a great place to build a professional network, to be part of an organization that has made a difference in the deaf community and continues to do so, to learn new skills by interacting with new different coworkers, and to develop a strong work ethic.

Cons

The CEO does not bother to interact and to get to know some of the employees, stuck in one building for 40 hours a week, National Programs need to be expanded so that more partnerships could be created and more greater work could be done globally, some poor attitudes have been exhibited by the c - level executives which do not support CSD’s mission statement, some situations have been handled poorly which made an impact on some employees’ level of satisfaction and commitment to the organization.

Advice to Management

Expand National Programs, speak with all CSD’s employees for ideas and suggestions and make employees feel they are valued.

7. mixed review

I have been working at Communication Service for the Deaf (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work at a call center and the center manager is very good. compassionate and understanding. the staff does work together and supports each other. The center is growing and recruiting new people. This makes the work environment interesting and the people are diverse.

Cons

Corporate is distant and puts up a wall. asked for one on one help and their response was that I should ask someone for FAQs. also, there was no outreach from corporate depts when starting this new position. And when their is communication, we sometimes get overwhelmed with paper or file attachments instead of first trying to simply answer a question

Advice to Management

need to instruct corporate dept heads or mgrs to reach out to individuals working in satellite locations to build bridges to improve communication. everyone fails if one person fails. try to work at building support and people skills with the mgr s and HR. Perhaps when people start at a position, a mentor or "guidance" counselor can be assigned, checking up and guiding and encouraging the new employee and promoting success.

Rewarding place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Communication Service for the Deaf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CSD is a great company with a positive and dedicated workforce. It is a nonprofit organization that is really committed to providing a variety of services and increasing public awareness of issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing individuals. It gave me a sense that I was giving something back to the community. It has been a joy to learn the about the distinct culture of the deaf community. Downtown dynamic office, supportive management team, gratifying job, free coffee/snacks, free ASL classes, and opportunities to participate in community activities.

Cons

Non-profit so benefits, retirement and pay are not competitive.

9. Underpaid Workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Communication Service for the Deaf full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love what the company stands for and the service it provides. It has helped many people who cannot hear or speak over the phone.

Cons

The employees in the Relay Division are all underpaid. There is way too much work for the management staff and not enough appreciation.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth.

10. Not all is as it seems.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Best thing about working at CSD? The people, and the fact that ASL is the dominant language in the workplace. The mission of making the world more accessible for all in the deaf community is a noble one, and to this end, is why they are there. The pay is decent (although that's not why I choose to work there), location downtown is top-notch, and they have snacks for their employees. Snacks!

Cons

In my experience, and based on what I've seen during my short stay at CSD, they are very ineffective at on-boarding their employees and giving them the proper tools to succeed. Employees aren't given the time, training, or resources to get their jobs done effectively, and it's made worse by the high turnover rate and re-assignment of management duties within the organization. When this occurs, employees are set up for failure from the get-go, and quite understandably, become frustrated with their positions within the organization and their own unique talents. When an organization professes their mission to make the world a better place for the deaf community, it's a contradiction in terms when their own workplace isn't made better and more supportive for their deaf employees, despite their supposedly genuine "efforts" to the contrary.

Advice to Management

Give your employees the time, tools, and proper resources to succeed. When there are major organizational shifts within, there is bound to be growing pains and adjustment periods - your employees are your greatest asset and greatest resource - not giving them a chance to push through any roadblocks is self-defeating, and introduces a culture WITHIN the organization that management has no confidence in their employees. When employees are constantly looking behind their backs to see if they are next on the chopping block, rather than encouraged and given proper training and resources, it creates an atmosphere of demoralization and loss. Practice what you preach -- make YOUR organization a positive environment and secure place where your deaf employees can succeed.

Communication Service for the Deaf Response

Aug 25, 2015 – Talent and Culture Senior Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve our processes and have taken note that our on-boarding and training methods need to be reviewed. At CSD we believe it is ... More

Great place to work that gives back to the community!

Current Employee - Headquarters Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Headquarters Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

CSD has been in existence for nearly 40 years and has recently undergone a huge change - a new CEO for the first time in the company's history; a move of the company headquarters from Sioux Falls, SD to Austin, TX; and a new vision for what the company wants to become. Originally started as a human services organization, CSD has pivoted towards becoming a technology provider, creating new and innovative technology solutions that benefit the Deaf, hard of hearing, and global communities. New opportunities are underway, including partnering with international organizations and launching new products to the global community. Everybody's work experience at CSD is different. I work at CSD headquarters and feel very connected to the work the company does. The staff are friendly and supportive, and I go to work everyday feeling like the work I do benefits those in need. CSD's agents and remote employees have their own experience and may not feel as connected to the overall company mission.

Cons

Because csd is a nonprofit, compensation and benefits are not as competitive as big-name companies

RSS Feed </> Embed