Communications Test Design

Updated Jun 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jerry Parsons

The workload allows me to use my training in my field to the highest level.

Electronic Engineering Tech, Level III (Current Employee) Flower Mound, TX

ProsAt ctdi, you will find a Friendly working environment. Competive salaries in both degrees and non-degrees positions. The facility is clinic controlled year round.

ConsSome of the challenges of working for CTDI are simple but strick. Timeliness is a major factor in employment with the company. As long as time off is requested in a timely manner, normally they are honored. Sometimes the need arises to work mandatory hours to make up for production time loss due to weather or holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend to upper management to offer more recognition to individual and departmental accomplishments. This would help display more appreciation for the hard work that is produced daily by both permamnat and temporary employees.

Electronic Tech

Electronics Technician (Current Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsCTDI kept me employed for a long time. Steady 40 hrs per week. Good benefits. Sometimes interesting work.

ConsLong stretches of monotonous work. Expected to work miracles with very limited resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open minded.

One of the worst companies i have EVER worked for. Headend Engineer

Headend Engineer (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsPay was competitive only because i was contracted. They claimed to hire people after 6 months of work, but after working for the branch for 2 years i still was never hired. After they "considered" hiring me, they basically laughed at how much i was getting paid and didn't plan on matching it.

ConsWhere to begin; the management team was insulting and constantly ridiculing everyones ideas and all the employees at the branch. They would fire people and hire them back the following week just to make budget. Corporate seemed to not care how each branch was managed. After filing an HR despite, i was basically told there wasn't anything they could until more employees file the same complaint. After i was able to have employees send in my same complaints, some of those employees were eliminated. Basically, i was in fear of my job. After the CEO came for a visit at our branch, i was almost remarked as incompetent for not doing my job after having almost no training and only be there for a month. Almost everyone i had worked with (engineer's in other branches) all left the company after only being there for a short time for the same reasons why i left. Thank goodness that i basically left due to "end of contract" and was neither fired nor let go. They treat all of their employees awful, no care at all for personal life or family life, let alone any benefits aside of maybe health. All of this i saw at my branch seemed to stem all the way to corporate after meeting the CEO and discussing how some of the other employees that have been there for years feel. Once again, after reading this and seeing everyone else's reviews of this company, i warn you, stay far away.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and utmost care. Considering this isn't possible for you i don't have anything else to say.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Repair Technician

Repair Technician (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsConstant work. No one will micromanage you as long as your making quota. They give you training to keep you up to speed with business practices at CTDI. I think its because of the high fire/higher rate. Have to keep the new guys coming in up to speed. 3 work shits. They will allow you to alternate any shift as long as there is an open bench. They are very accommodating to employees personal schedules. There is an archive with detail info on product models, but its not that effective because you wont have the time to research and study the info.

ConsRepair parts are not always available, but quotas are still expected to be met. High turnaround rate as the company mostly hires through temp agencies, and will quickly end your assignment and bring someone else in. It seems employees are not valued, because they are so interchangeable at this company. There are guys still a temp at $14.00 hour after 3 years. No benefits for temps. Will be leaving at 1 year anniversary if no commitment, or salary increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can't offer anything I'm sure they haven't already herd.

Disappointing.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsMost of the worker bees are pretty descent people.

Conslong hours, huge work load, zero recognition or appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees. Invest in them. Communicate with them. Stop with the constant threat of layoffs due to budgetary cutbacks only to turn around and renovate, throw big parties, or buy other properties. Years ago I felt like part of a team I was vested in, now I just feel like a number and it has greatly impacted how hard and enthusiastically I'm interested in working for them. I've lost all respect due to the irresponsibility and disrespect coming from "the next generation" management.

Good growth and opportunity

Project Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsOpportunity to give your own insight on operations

ConsSenior management lack of forward thinking

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter planning

Long hours with many projects

Programmer (Former Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsCo workers are all nice people willing to share system and technical knowledge.

ConsToo many projects assigned to too few people making for long work hours. Old grungy office settings create a dismal working environment. To move up the ranks, one has to be an employee there for years if you can survive the layoffs. Too many layoffs laying off too many people. Too many people to report to.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management only seems concerned about their bonus checks.

Not worth the time or effort

Referb (Current Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsTemp work. It was a gig that put money in my pocket during a tough economy while i was looking to start that a career in the industry i studied towards when I was in college. For some people there is a chance of being hired on, albeit that chance is slim. those are about the only pros i can think of...

Cons-I was a temp worker and the sectionheads (who are the lowest of the low when it comes to the chain of command) are on a powerbinge who loved to instill fear reminding you that all they have to do was call the temp agency to replace you. Sometimes they would make promises, like they will "hire you soon" just to keep you around, but if you know that the comany can barely pay its own venders (credit holds across the board) then what are the chances of them hiring you and expending the wage expense.

- your co-temps, they are a rag-tag group and sometimes hard to be around.

-awful pay

-repetitive work

-Frequently laid-off and rehired due to cyclical droughts of on-hand work.

-Family run company, and its thier way or the high way and not always open for suggestions.

-Spineless HR. They are terriffied of thier own employees and rarely will just fire incompitent workers, that way in order to avoid lawsuits and acusations. Usually the problem workers are just moved to another branch to avoid further issues. Often they will clean house with sweeping layoffs, usually then, they will get rid of the incompetant workers.

- Top heavy Corporate Structure. Everybody is a sectionhead, manager, or supervisor that is in charge of something. Even if its the smallest area of operation. this leads to a contradicting orders and an overall communication break-down.

Advice to Senior Management-Take the time to treat the temps better and they will be more feel more valued, that way you will avoid a Quality Control issue and in turn have a better relationship with the clients (i.e. Comcast Verizon, Cox, Nortel)

- Dont be afriad to fire people becuase they are incompitent, they drag everyone else down with them.

Do Not Work Here.

Receive Manager (Former Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsWhen it comes to 3rd party repairs of telecom equipment, Communications Test Design is the only show in town. As a result all of the big players (Comcast, Verizon, Nortell, etc.) all use CTDI to repair their equipment. So as long as CTDI is the only one, they will always have business.

ConsThere is absolutely no chain of command here at this company. Anything below the VP level is crazy and confused. When I was there I had one official boss. Besides him, there were two others who had almost nothing to do with what was going on in my area. These two could order around my boss and his boss also on a whim (which they often did). These two guys had the interpersonal skills of either a small child who was put in charge of an operation without any knowledge, training or real world skills and the other is an IT guy. Neither had the temperament or knowledge to do the jobs they were supposed to be doing, let alone work with actual people on a shop floor.

Even though I asked weekly, the entire time I was there I could not get anybody to tell me exactly what my job expectations or responsibilities were. As many times as I asked I couldn't get one for the supervisors that I was in charge of and I knew for a fact my boss couldn't get one for himself either. This lack of listed responsibilities, would I have stayed a full year, would have then affected any sort of annual review process. How are you supposed to be evaluated by your superiors on your work over the last year, reward success and plan for improvement if you have no base line? In the end this wouldn't have mattered much because guess what? There is no annual review process here! In fact when I asked my boss if he was given a 90 day review to tell him how he was doing, he literally laughed at me.

As for the work being done at CTDI, even though they are the only company that really do what they do, they will do absolutely ANYTHING to get more business. This would include the innovative tactic of literally telling any potential client they can do whatever they ask, even if the task does not allow for them to make money. No thought at all is given to whether or not taking on a new process will make the company money or not. None! As a result there are now several money loosing, non-standard processes that exist at CTDI. And when there, on several occasions I saw new processes enter the building that appeared to have been thought about just as hard as any of the previous ones. On one had it is a bonus for your business to quickly adapt to new opportunities. But I would not call walking into a warehouse floor and saying that you have 5 days to move your operation to put in a new one is a good thing. As soon as we jumped at the demand to do this (and that is all it was, just a demand without any instructions, guidance or direction), all I heard about for next few weeks was how poorly the move was conducted. Again, no guidance, just the same no interpersonal skill having individuals running around butting there heads into areas where they don’t' belong making demands.

Finally, there is HR. This company has absolutely the most spineless HR department I have ever seen! There is a complete lack of performance standards in any department and it sure seems as if they like it that way. In any and all attempts I made to contact HR about the disciplinary process, I was either rebuffed or ignored. In fact, even though I made numerous attempts to contact HR managers to discuss the disciplinary process, the only time I actually got to sit down with them was they day I was being let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly define your chain of responsibility. Having more then one boss is bad, having more then two is worse. It is okay to have a boss and a boss’s boss and so forth but to have ambiguous bosses that can make demands of departments they are in charge of is a terrible way to run a business.

Create codified job responsibilities for employees. How can you expect people to do what you want them to do if they don't know what you want them to do? This is very basic level business school stuff. I'm almost embarrassed to be making this suggestion to 40 and 50 year old men when I'm sure any first year 23 year old MBA student would obviously know this fact. And for god's sake, have an annual review process. I can't imagine how terrible it would have been come end of year one and there was no logical way to determine compensation.

CTDI

ProsBenefits, salary, good people, nice working environment,

Consno common sense among owners, directors, management....money spent on frivolous things when bills can't be paid

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people for what they are really doing. Reward hard workers and get rid of the deadweight

Worked for Communications Test Design? Contribute to the Community!