Communispace

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.7

Charles Trevail

Best job you'll ever have...if you can afford it

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Communispace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working here is like being part of a family. The company really values everyone as a person, not just an employee. I never felt like I was working even though this is a fast-paced, demanding job. That's because when you went to work you were hanging out with friends who just happened to be doing work too. Promotions from within are common and hard-work is recognized by senior management. The company is very flexible and promotes a good work/life balance.

Cons

Unfortunately if you have financial needs (breadwinner, starting a family, etc.) you can't responsibly work here. I am all for trade-offs and understand that places that pay more may not have the same exceptional environment. That said, you just can't live off the salary offered at Communispace and have a family unless your partner does well at work. Other companies are paying A LOT more for the same skills.

Great place to start but $$ not worth the stress

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Communispace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Communispace provided me my first job out of college and it was a wonderful learning experience. I stayed at the company for 3.5 years because of the fun culture, great flexibility (ability to work from home = amazing), and ample opportunities to advance (I was promoted twice in 3 years).

Cons

After a while the work became tedious and scarcity of staff/resources led to long, stressful hours. The pay did not justify the amount of effort and time I was investing, and ultimately the lack of sufficient training pushed me out the door.

Hire more staff to reduce pressure on your employees (no one should have to work until 2:00am)! Offer better training and mentorship opportunities - one-off software training can only go so far in helping employees develop strong research and analysis skills.

You'll need a part-time job

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Communispace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will fall in love with the people you work with. Events, drinks, outings galore.

Cons

Extremely low salary. Most are overworked. You will only get a change to be creative if you luck out with a great account/team. High turn over.

Change the structure. Pay fairly. Your people are brilliant and you are losing them.

Great career start in client services

Former Employee - Associate Community Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Community Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Communispace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open and friendly atmosphere, go-get-'em attitude, enthusiastic coworkers and inspiring leaders (then-CEO Diane Hessan). A real effort was made to define and put in place company-wide values and keep the top-notch employee experience. Here, you work for the brand and Communispace seemed to want to make itself a brand worth loving.

Cons

Day-to-day tasks can be repetitive; although the teams are great, the actual work is somewhat administrative at the entry- to mid-level.

Much of the career advancement depends on the teams you are (mostly by chance) assigned to; those who have good managers and clients rise quickly to stardom, but otherwise development can get stagnant. Most of my entry- to lower-mid level colleagues learned as much as they could in 1-2 years before moving on.

Going through some changes

I have been working at Communispace full-time

Pros

The people are amazing, management understands work-life balance, great transparency by executive team into finances and future plans for growth.

Cons

Recently Communispace has gone through some internal changes/reorganization and is trying to find it's new identity after changing CEOs and acquiring a couple international companies. People seem a bit on edge about their roles and the future of the company.

Stay transparent and don't be afraid to let people know that the company is in a tough spot! Listen to their feedback and focus on domestic growth in addition to international development.

Committed to their employees and doing great work

Current Employee - Community Manager I in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Community Manager I in Boston, MA

I have been working at Communispace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Communispace has a very nurturing environment, making sure employees feel cared about and trained up so they can do their best possible work. Very thankful for all the opportunities here and it's great especially for younger employees to get a lot of hands on experience. Office and company culture are is also very appealing as everyone is focused on working hard but also having fun.

Cons

As the company grows, there can be a lot of layers of management, and it feels like you need to go through a large checklist before getting promoted or even getting new ideas put into place.

Keep the small business feel and continue to give opportunities for upward movement where possible.

Great experience for change oriented

I have been working at Communispace full-time

Pros

Lots of growth and opportunity. Ability to do lots of different type of work

Cons

Role clarity is an issue. The company has gone through lots of changes and the dust hasn't settled.

Continue to be open and inclusive

Always learning new things!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Communispace

Pros

It's a fun, young company with lots of opportunities to challenge yourself and learn new things along the way.

Cons

There can be some long hours but all relative given time of year.

Communispace Response

Jul 15, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate your feedback and honesty. It is great to hear you are having fun and being challenged here at Communispace. The hours do vary but also ... More

Became an agency when we weren't looking

Former Employee - Community Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Communispace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great location
    - Paved the way for MROCs
    - Green building
    - Diane is very personable and very inspiring
    - Very dynamic accounts
    - Prestigious company

Cons

- Massive growing pains
    - Too many people hired from agencies obliterated the fun, innovative culture
    - Your personal time will likely not be respected
    - Reporting managers did not always have your best interests in mind (and didn't always care that you knew that)
    - Very little standardization across accounts, leads/directors, and departments
    - "Captives" are identified but left to fester until they eventually quit
    - Some are given more / better opportunities to grow than others
    - Those who show and produce the best work are taken advantage of and held to much higher standards than others who coast

- "Agency" is now in your title but it doesn't mean you have to compete with the soulless, corporate sweatshops in the city that describe themselves similarly.
    - Trust your employees to do good work without micromanaging them, and please listen to their advice for improvement - they are just as much your customers as your clients are.
    - Re-evaluate your managers' managing capabilities - some have lost all of their direct reports within a year

Great place that requires your best work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Communispace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Communispace is a great company that has had steady growth for many years. Although it has been around for over a decade, there's still a bit of a start-up feel that is reflected in the youthful energy in the office. People are challenged to work hard and give their best every day.

Cons

There seems to be some inequity across various segments of the organization regarding compensation and workload. Not sure how much of that is perception rather than reality, but if the perception is there...

As senior leadership changes, try to keep the core values and culture intact. Continue to invest in people (training, compensation, etc.), and don't let that just become lip service.