Communities In Schools Reviews

Daniel Cardinali

1. Great Place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Communities In Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great office culture, work life balance was outstanding, staff worked well together and worked for the betterment of the students in the schools

Cons

Increase the knowledge of those in charge, some of the management have a real lack of knowledge of what actually happens day to day.

Keep hiring great people who believe in the work.

2. Wonderful experience!

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Austin, TX

I worked at Communities In Schools full-time

Pros

Working with CIS was an amazing experience that I will always treasure. The people who work there are so kind, fun, and genuinely there to help others. As an Americorps member at the schools, I met with a regular caseload of about 20-25 students. A typical day consisted of individual and group meetings with students, meeting with teachers and staff, tutoring, and any other incidents/emergencies that came up (they always did - which makes every day interesting). Through these meetings, you get to build strong relationships with the students and the community and truly build up your students who are so great. CIS also does a lot for the community through service projects, fundraisers, and resources. Great people, great cause. Truly a community!

Cons

Not the best training - kinda got thrown in. But there also is a lot of room to take initiative and implement your own ideas.

3. Case Manager

I worked at Communities In Schools

Pros

Get to work with kids and being able to figure out what you're made of because there is a lot of work to be done! But once you're done, you get to sit back and go "wow! I did all of that!"

Cons

Lots of work and tons of projects you work on!

5. My experience changed from what my opinion was in the beginning; not a professional organization.

I worked at Communities In Schools

Pros

The best reason is that of some of the staff having the best interest of students at heart.

Cons

Inconsistencies and lack of leadership skills from managers.

Training is needed for new staff and current staff continuously.

6. Allows you the opportunity to really work with kids one-on-one while navigating community resources and thinking outside

Current Employee - Site Coordinator
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator

I have been working at Communities In Schools full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with the kids is really a huge plus to the job. You are right on campus with them every day. There is just enough structure that you know what you need to do, but enough flexibility to really make your office and how you run it unique. There is no management on campus with you every day so you have some room to breath and you are not being micromanaged. I have been able to learn of so many different resources offered in my town and this has helped me tremendously at work, but also in my personal life and my ability to help others outside of work. If you have the passion to help kids by more than just tutoring and you are able to think outside of the box to come up with solutions to unique problems the kids present with you will do just fine in the position. I am working at a brand new affiliate, so things are pretty chaotic, but it allows us to really create our affiliate in a way we want it to turn out, rather than going into one that is already established and set in their ways. There is plenty of room for raises and growth in my affiliate because we are new and grow more and more every year.

Cons

The health insurance my affiliate has could be better. $1,500 deductible and then the insurance pays 80% after that. I had much better insurance when I was actually working for the school district, so maybe I was just lucky to have really good insurance before, but really that is it's only downfall. I am just happy they offer insurance at all, though! :)

Overall management is great. I think to just remember to take a step back and remember what it was like to be a site coordinator from time to time would help bring you back to reality about goals for the year. I really have had no bad experiences with management though.

7. Friendly atmosphere and a positive work environment

Current Employee - Evaluation Intern in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Evaluation Intern in Durham, NC

I have been working at Communities In Schools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great work culture
    -Not extremely high pressure
    -You're work is making a difference

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

8. I love working for Communities In Schools

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Communities In Schools

Pros

Flexible work schedule, school based program therefore you are not directly supervised on a daily basis by your supervisor. Work within the school schedule meaning your off on Christmas break and spring break.

Cons

I have not experienced any cons myself, however the school that you are in can make your job and life a lot harder than necessary. But if your in a good school that understands and supports the mission of Communities In School the experience is wonderful

9. Great company, not so great work environment.

I worked at Communities In Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A chance to work with students who need a caring, and understanding adult.

Cons

Lack in parental involvement, difficult deadlines

Stay in touch with subordinates.

10. Communities In Schools embodies their mission statement to the fullest extent.

Current Intern - Public Relations & Special Events in Charleston, SC
    Current Intern - Public Relations & Special Events in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Communities In Schools as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

All of the Charleston County CIS employees apply themselves in every aspect to help the at-risk children in the county. It's extremely rewarding knowing that you're helping these children towards a better future. I am able to apply what I have learned in my classes to this position to further CIS's standing in the community.

Cons

Because CIS is a non-profit organization it is difficult to gain funds. When the organization does receive grants, I must say that the money is used appropriately and effectively.

Keep up the excellent work! I think that all-staff meetings might help give everyone insight on what is going on within the organization rather than the smaller departments keeping to themselves.

11. Great office environment

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Communities In Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

New office, metro accessible with nice view

Cons

A lot of people rotation