Communities In Schools

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.6

Daniel Cardinali

Allows you the opportunity to really work with kids one-on-one while navigating community resources and thinking outside

Current Employee - Site Coordinator
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator

I have been working at Communities In Schools full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with the kids is really a huge plus to the job. You are right on campus with them every day. There is just enough structure that you know what you need to do, but enough flexibility to really make your office and how you run it unique. There is no management on campus with you every day so you have some room to breath and you are not being micromanaged. I have been able to learn of so many different resources offered in my town and this has helped me tremendously at work, but also in my personal life and my ability to help others outside of work. If you have the passion to help kids by more than just tutoring and you are able to think outside of the box to come up with solutions to unique problems the kids present with you will do just fine in the position. I am working at a brand new affiliate, so things are pretty chaotic, but it allows us to really create our affiliate in a way we want it to turn out, rather than going into one that is already established and set in their ways. There is plenty of room for raises and growth in my affiliate because we are new and grow more and more every year.

Cons

The health insurance my affiliate has could be better. $1,500 deductible and then the insurance pays 80% after that. I had much better insurance when I was actually working for the school district, so maybe I was just lucky to have really good insurance before, but really that is it's only downfall. I am just happy they offer insurance at all, though! :)

Overall management is great. I think to just remember to take a step back and remember what it was like to be a site coordinator from time to time would help bring you back to reality about goals for the year. I really have had no bad experiences with management though.

Friendly atmosphere and a positive work environment

Current Employee - Evaluation Intern in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Evaluation Intern in Durham, NC

I have been working at Communities In Schools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great work culture
    -Not extremely high pressure
    -You're work is making a difference

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

I love working for Communities In Schools

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Communities In Schools

Pros

Flexible work schedule, school based program therefore you are not directly supervised on a daily basis by your supervisor. Work within the school schedule meaning your off on Christmas break and spring break.

Cons

I have not experienced any cons myself, however the school that you are in can make your job and life a lot harder than necessary. But if your in a good school that understands and supports the mission of Communities In School the experience is wonderful

Great company, not so great work environment.

I worked at Communities In Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A chance to work with students who need a caring, and understanding adult.

Cons

Lack in parental involvement, difficult deadlines

Stay in touch with subordinates.

Communities In Schools embodies their mission statement to the fullest extent.

Current Employee - Public Relations & Special Events in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Public Relations & Special Events in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Communities In Schools as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

All of the Charleston County CIS employees apply themselves in every aspect to help the at-risk children in the county. It's extremely rewarding knowing that you're helping these children towards a better future. I am able to apply what I have learned in my classes to this position to further CIS's standing in the community.

Cons

Because CIS is a non-profit organization it is difficult to gain funds. When the organization does receive grants, I must say that the money is used appropriately and effectively.

Keep up the excellent work! I think that all-staff meetings might help give everyone insight on what is going on within the organization rather than the smaller departments keeping to themselves.

Great office environment

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Communities In Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

New office, metro accessible with nice view

Cons

A lot of people rotation

Positive, uplifting and fun work environment!

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Communities In Schools as an intern

Pros

The leadership is solid and strong.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are long during the school year.

Not Satisfied!!!

Current Employee - Program Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Communities In Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working on the school campus! Working with kids is my passion so I enjoy working with and empowering them! You get all of your CEU's for free.

Cons

Pay is very low! 27,500 in Ft. Worth, Texas with a bachelors degree and only about 30,000 with a Master's Degree!
    More time is spent on paperwork than anything else! Supervisors only care if you meet your numbers(students enrolled). Little to no support in implementing a campus plan or a plan for groups.

Be positive! Show appreciation for your workers. A semi annual celebration doesn't make up for months of hearing what you have done wrong! Show us that you care about us and the CIS mission, and help us help the kids! We are basically on our on with little to no support when we are on our campuses.

"You Get What You Pay For"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Communities In Schools

Pros

Good opportunity to get some social work/education experience out of college if you can afford to live on peanuts.

Cons

Pay is terrible, even for a non-profit. Hence turnover rate is high, which causes lack of confidence and respect among school administrators.

Until you manage to raise salaries for the on-site staff you are going to have high turnover and low morale. You place way too many expectations on a staff that is so poorly rewarded. It is well known that your top administrative positions are paid well and that adds to the frustration.

Love my job! I am a Career Coach and being able to be hands on with my Clients are a pleasure.

Current Employee - Career Coach in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Career Coach in Waco, TX

I have been working at Communities In Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility. No on campus supervisors. This company trust you to do your job with little or no micromanaging.

Cons

Pay is not equal to the work you have to perform. There is not really many opportunities to move up with this organization if you are a field staff.

Kiss butt and you will be good with management..