Communities In Schools of Philadelphia

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.2

CEO

Mundane job in a great office

Former Intern - Data Collection Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Data Collection Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Communities In Schools of Philadelphia as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The group of people you work with really enjoys the work they're putting in to try and bridge the gap of education in Philadelphia.

Cons

My job was mundane and required me to input a lot of data but that's less of the company's fault and was just part of my job description.

Committed Staff

I worked at Communities In Schools of Philadelphia full-time

Pros

Programs designed to help meet academic, workforce development, and social service needs of urban school district students are client-centered. Therefore, if you have a passion for creating positive meaningful experiences for students, you will be fulfilled.

Cons

Challenges related to continuous fundraising and talent development create an imbalance and misalignment of competent professionals vs. management needs and program services. While a client-centered approach is certainly necessary for a successful and meaningful program, lack of support for infrastructure development is a cancer to overall organizational management if not actively and competently managed.

Operate from a position of client support by ensuring active commitment and competency in board membership and staffing and on-going targeted training and development from THE TOP DOWN and BOTTOM UP, address issues with a comprehensive approach, sense of urgency, COURAGE, HONESTY and INTEGRITY.

Fair company but compensation is not so great

Current Employee - Computer Support Specialist in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Computer Support Specialist in Phila, PA

I have been working at Communities In Schools of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Does a lot of good in the Schools of Philadelphia.
    Lot's of learning opportunities here.
    Depending on what branch you are in they will pay for IT certifications

Cons

Unfortunately the position I was in was contracted by the School District of Phila so due to their budget problem there has been a few times I only received partial pay but then received the rest later. I also was furloughed due to the funding problems. Not very secure.

It was ok! Could Be better.

Former Employee - Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Communities In Schools of Philadelphia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly People to work with.

Cons

Unprofessional, they need to work on that. The managers was very professional though

Organization

Horrible Organization to work for

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Communities In Schools of Philadelphia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If placed in a school you'll get off at 3:00 in most cases

Cons

The leadership lacks structure and discipline. The company is more concerned with funding and money and could care less about their staff or the students that are being serviced. They don't properly give raises nor do they promote you the way you should be. I would not recommend working for this company. You are better off working two part-time jobs.

Take management classes and learn how to do your job.

Working with Communities in Schools and the students at the high schools was a job that I found personally rewarding.

Former Employee - Community Based Coordinator in Philadelphia (Zimbabwe)
    Former Employee - Community Based Coordinator in Philadelphia (Zimbabwe)

I worked at Communities In Schools of Philadelphia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are a person that has a gift of teaching or supporting students, then Communities in Schools would be the organization for you.

Cons

I felt like management never new who I was or cared about how much I saved the company in costs... for the advancement of the students.

none

Not ideal

I worked at Communities In Schools of Philadelphia

Pros

Great Benefits for employees and their families

Cons

Unprofessional behavior, poor judgement, fiscal mismanagement, and a lack of empathy for clients.

Management needs professional development just as well as employee. Be honest and fair.