Community Coffee Reviews

Matt Saurage

Great product!

Former Employee - General Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - General Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Community Coffee full-time (more than a year)

Pros

an amazing product outstanding quality... Genuine passion and knowledge of the coffee industry, this company is very dedicated to the quality of the bean...and all its products, it still small enough to impact it...

Cons

Very unfair upper management, as they have a favorites and are very closed to change...

Advice to Management

Take a look at who you have, are they helping or hurting.....

This business could be a very successful business but it does not focus on one thing; its employees.

I worked at Community Coffee

Pros

Products and services
    Employees
    Quality of coffee

Cons

Political
    Time to hire
    Not trust worthy
    Unethical

Advice to Management

Sometimes it is not those people that you think as it is the ones that are making all of the changes.

Great Need of Executive Level Experienced and Educated Leadership at all levels for the Growth Trying to be Accomplish

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Community Coffee full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A great across the board retail branded coffee offering for office coffee service in a world of competitors offering generic vending coffees.

Cons

Very dysfunctional organizational structure in the CSD-DSD division.Structure creates animosity not team work. AE's (strictly a hunter position) are paid very minimum base (definitely not a living wage) with the assumed appeal of "unlimited cap" ...only to be paid if they can bring a certain $ amount of new business to the table each month and in reorders whether the company has had a presence in market with consumer brand recognition for 15 years or brand new to the market for 1 year. An AE competes not only with established market coffee vendors but also competing with every salaried Community Coffee employee in that market (ASM's TSM's SS's and Route Drivers). Company prides itself on the statement that "Everyone in our company sells", thus incentivizing the ego's of every salaried position to grab a sale to receive "atta boys" in hopes of promotion, and yes big sales brought to table means company promotion opportunities, not skill sets. AE's do not receive sales leads called into HQ for their territory.The salaried positions take them (very unethical). Absolutely no respect given to the AE's which are tasked with bringing $125,000 in new business to the table each year. Very blue collar thinking by leadership concerning sales. AE's DO NOT receive 12 months of credit for a sale only the number of months left in the year from the time the sell is made. With a new business year June -May the AE number rolls back to $0 and their hunting task starts all over again from "scratch". KEY question to ask during an interview for the AE position: How long has Community been present in this market? How many former AE's in this market have made their number? (FYI: which would mean a payout of $70k if on plan) What has been the company wide AE turnover rate? What overall percentage of all AE's every hired have every made their number? If interviewing for a new market (=brand presence as an office coffee provider less than 5 years) what is the companies "Go To Market Plan"? Note: The company marketing plan is an AE in a company car with a logo on it knocking on doors and a Community delivery truck. Company funds will be allocated for running TV commercials advertising Community Coffee in the market only when a certain amount of sales dollars have been generated. This is an example why the need to executive level experience in company. The AE in these new markets takes the financial hit of advertising to grow the brand with their door to door knocking and cold calling...not hitting their numbers as in all businesses creating market brand awareness takes time and money before a return on the investment will be realized. That new market brand awareness is strictly up the AE and that money is what AE will realize is a cost to them in not making being able to turn accounts quick enough in new markets to be paid a living wage. This will have to change, be offered only to young individuals starting out and able to manage living on $35k for a few years until brand awareness grows to a level of return or the heavy turnover rate will continue and eventually catch up as negative press to the company.

Advice to Management

- Create a territory team sales number which includes the AE as part of that team. Pay AE a living wage salary (eliminate the uncapped potential) and every position works together to achieve that team goal and when the team goal number is reached then all celebrate a bonus together as a team. (example) Everyone bonuses 20% of their base pay for the quarter and then for the year. This creates a culture of team work and team pride of accomplishment...giving all a sense of personal pride in accomplishing together, AND the company keeps more money rather than the uncapped $ currently paid to 1.5% of the AE's. - Embrace Diversity Rather Than Be Threatened By It - Need for Diversity in Field Leadership...Only white males in these positions - Realize that values are not for printing and memorizing, they are to be lived out and lived out first and foremost by those who have direct reports. - Take care of ALL your people and your people will take care of your brand.

5. Major turnover in management at the plant.

Former Employee - Team Supervisor/Manager in Port Allen, LA
    Former Employee - Team Supervisor/Manager in Port Allen, LA

I worked at Community Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee and tea. Compensation package was decent for the salaried positions, not so much for hourly personnel (con). I do not believe I can come up with anything else.

Cons

Everything else. Work life balance was deplorable. Managers at the plant are working 14+ hours per day doing front line supervisor work because they cannot keep anyone there. There have over 12 plant managers in the Port Allen, LA plant in the past 10 years. Two of the current managers in house left the company (fired, quit or ran out gas) and were brought back because they cannot find anyone else willing put up with such horrendous conditions. The home office in Baton Rouge seems to be annoyed that they have to put up with the plant and have as little to do with it as possible. It is unfortunate, as they do have a superior product. I have friends in sales and they are happy. This review is strictly for the employment at the Port Allen, LA plant. What I have listed should be more than enough red flags for anyone considering employment at the plant.

Advice to Management

There is no attention or interest given to the plant. The management turnover is deplorable.

6. A company in mist of change

I worked at Community Coffee full-time

Pros

Family owned, strong product brand in core market.

Cons

Unreasonable sales goals. Upper management plays favoritism. Work life balance is often preached but never practiced.

Advice to Management

Being the first company core value is the employee, I suggest senior management and H.R. starts looking into practices of it's leaders at the branch level and above. GM's managing by intimidation is business as usual. Loyalty to tenured employees is disappearing. Promotion from within has no balance against hiring Mgmt from the outside. Do not let a once great family owned company become just another "what have you done for me lately" growing company. It's already happening. Do something about it.

I had a great experience with Community Coffee.

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Community Coffee full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, Good Benefits, Great working environment and fair management team.

Cons

Long hours 55 to 60 a week, pressured for new business daily, at times you feel like your on an Island alone.

Advice to Management

Branch Manager was great, Area Manager was very self serving and one of the two Supervisors had no clue or the experience to be doing the job he had been given.

8. Enjoyed my experience

Former Contractor - Marketing in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Contractor - Marketing in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Community Coffee as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee
    Clean Environment
    Nice Staff
    Flexibility in Schedule

Cons

I don't have any at this time

9. Horrible Management

I worked at Community Coffee

Pros

Free Coffee and that's really about it. There are no pros working for this company. Explanation provided in the cons section.

Cons

Rude Customers
    Home Office SUCKS
    underpaid and overworked
    Extremely unappreciated
    They hire any "recovering" drug addict and/or alcoholic
    They just suck

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees as if they're expendable. You want people to stay with the company and "advance" so you say but you make them grovel and apologize to customers who wouldn't look twice if one of us were in need of help. Especially at the Our Lady of the Lake Kiosk. Yes I understand the customer is always right but there needs to be a line drawn. I did not come to work to be treated as if I'm beneath someone because I make coffee. If you would leave home office sometimes and come into the stores you would understand the struggle of having to deal with some of these people you make us apologize to because of hearsay.

10. Great Company! Wish I still worked there!

Former Employee - Coffee House District Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Coffee House District Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Community Coffee full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, 401K Match, Training, People, Co that gives back and gets the employees involved.

Cons

None! My experience was one to remember!

Advice to Management

Take risks on people!

11. Coworkers make the job worth it. Management sucks.

Current Employee - Barista in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Barista in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Community Coffee part-time

Pros

Coworkers are close and we always have fun together while working. Free drinks on shift is a nice perk. Regulars are always nice to see and visit with.

Cons

Underpaid and overworked. The customers can be extremely rude at times. Expectations from management regarding drive thru time, etc., are unrealistic. Management breathes down your throat but doesn't understand what it actually is to work in the shop. They expect too much, especially for the little amount of pay we receive.

Advice to Management

Get in the store and see what it actually is to work. It's not so black and white and easy as you guys seem to think. Honestly, upper management wouldn't be able to make it through 1 shift.