Community College of Baltimore County

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Working at CCBC

ProsExcellent pay and benefits,...collegial work environment

ConsVery slow to advertise and fill positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to consider fresh new look.

Nice environment, Co-workers are just ok

Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsAlot of downtime. Get to meet new students all the time. Make friendships. Workload was not heavy.

ConsFavoritism. Training is vague and cannot ask management for help. The interview process is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll processes and systems should be the same across the board. Management needs to be trained better.

Satisfied as Adjunct Instructor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, Availability of resources, Support

ConsUncertainty of courses due to enrollment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Adjunct Teacher's View Point

Esol Teacher (Current Employee) Essex, MD

ProsGreat students especially foreign born students studying English. They are hard-working and very appreciative of their teachers' efforts on their parts.

ConsPoor administration of certain programs. There is insufficient pre-admission testing and interviewing. The testing mechanisms for placement in ESL classes needs to be revised and made to include a personal interview similar to the language OPI placement test.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave Dept. Chairs and Program Directors evaluated by adjunct and full time teachers.
    Give teachers with higher degrees and long time experience elsewhere compensation in line with their years in teaching and expertise.

very positive; challenging and rewarding

Professor (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI love the job, the collegiality, and the autonomy.

ConsOften, the students are very poorly prepared.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Sandra Kurtinitis, the president; she is outstanding and very human,

All good but the director

ProsCoworkers are friendly and supportive

ConsDirector is moody and constantly changes expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to staff complaints...they're true

Good place to work

Director (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGood support from division management.

ConsLong hours if you work in upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying "A student is a student!" All students are not treated equally.

Excellent

Program Assistant (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsI enjoyed working at the Community College of Baltimore County. It was nice to be in a college environment, I took classes and was reimbursed and the people I worked with were great. I enjoyed helping students and professors.

ConsTheir was a hiring freeze and there were no raises for the five years I worked their. That was tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Owings Mills building is moving and that is a great thing. The Owings Mills campus building needs to be torn down or renovated.

Great in many ways, but there are downsides, too ...

Associate Professor (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat salary for the field, great benefits, flexible schedule (usually). Most co-workers are collegial.

ConsAfraid to evaluate teacher effectiveness but willing to mandate teaching methods. Many roads lead to Rome! That is, there are many ways to be an effective teacher. Arriving in Rome should be the emphasis, not the route taken!

Advice to Senior ManagementFaculty who run for the senate tend to be those who feel strongly about their own viewpoints: they may not represent their peers. Don't rubber-stamp every senate proposal; those that limit academic freedom or penalize all students to avoid the minor transgressions of a few should be publicized prior to approval. Too often, the first notification of a proposal to general faculty is its approval.

My twenty plus years at this institution have been very fulfilling.

Associate Dean (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGood leadership. Open communication. Salaries and benefits.

ConsToo much red tape at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to comments by middle management more often.

Worked for Community College of Baltimore County? Contribute to the Community!