Community College of Philadelphia Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
CEO

People afraid to stand up to long time managers

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia

Pros

Free health insurance Casual dress Opportunity to influence young people into making good choices PNC ATM's

Cons

Poor management Lack of respect for students Unfair treatment of friends of managers (playing favorites) Abuse of power

Advice to Management

Start looking at the way the employees are being treated by managers. If you receive complaints from people saying they were screamed at and degraded as well as others backing up their claims, you have a serious problem on your hands. Most employees are looking for ways to post out of their departments and into others.

A former faculty member.

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Community College of Philadelphia

Pros

Salaries were entrenched in a salary schedule. Movement vertically about the schedule was guaranteed by contract.

Cons

Promotions were awarded in a capricious and arbitrary way, making horizontal movement about the schedule impossible, unless one curried favors with the administration.

Advice to Management

Leave! I know that you have had greater longevity than previous management, but it is only because you can't find jobs elsewhere. Leave now, for the good of the college!

Comfortably lost in the bureaucracy, but scared for my students and the future.

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia

Pros

The most important thing here is the sense of a shared mission: we serve our students. We recognize the disadvantages too many of our students face upon entry - many are poor, and most are products of the direly failing Philadelphia Public School system, where the only requirement for graduation seems to be physically surviving 12 years. Just about every person I work with directly and many of the other staff and faculty I've met are committed to truly educating our students: helping them become skilled and self-sufficient from Day One through graduation and beyond. Employees of CCP seem to genuinely enjoy our students' success and take pride in contributing to it. For an adjunct, the pay is pretty good. Much of this is due to our strong union, which represents all faculty and staff, not just teaching faculty. Benefits are pretty good for full-time positions, and even as an adjunct the College pays half my medical insurance premium.

Cons

Our biggest challenge right now is not so much our budget problems (which every public institution faces now) but our lack of leadership at the top. The President of our College is disconnected from the realities that students, staff, and faculty face, and refuses to engage in dialogue about how to either increase funding or make do with decreased funding - in fact, at a recent forum, he stated that we all have to tighten our belts, yet when asked if he would take a voluntary pay cut just like the Mayor of Philadelphia did, he refused to even discuss it. The College has added administrators at an alarming rate over the last decade, now accounting for 21% of our total payroll (up from 14%), without any visible benefit - and at the expense of teaching and support faculty. Hours and resources for libraries, tutoring, and educational support services have been slashed, and many students cannot get the help they need simply because facilities are closed or unstaffed. Senior administration neither listens to or appears to care about students, low-paid staff, or adjuncts (who make up more than half the employees). At present there is a huge divide between senior administration and the rest of the College's employees, and it is just getting worse each day. We are in the midst of a long-standing contract negotiation, and have been working without a contract since September 2011. The administration has spent absurd amounts of money hiring outside counsel during the negotiations, and has repeatedly violated the terms of negotiation by issuing press releases regarding the contract talks with outright false information. Faculty and staff perceive the administration as uncaring, unwilling to listen, secretive and selfish. On the other hand, the administrators with whom I've spoken generally perceive faculty as entrenched bureaucrats who are unwilling to change when necessary. The result has been a heightening of tensions and an increased divide - an "Us against Them" mentality on both sides. The college is excessively bureaucratic, stuck in dysfunctional and stagnant habits, and shows the worst aspects of being in Philadelphia: a reluctance to change or even care about changing for the better. We are too "Philly Corrupt" at CCP, and our students are suffering when they need us most. Morale among faculty and educational support staff is heading south - many of our best people are already looking for employment elsewhere. Students also feel left out, and the ones who speak up to either raise issues or offer solutions are routinely ignored or even punished (a student who asked the President about taking a voluntary pay cut was slapped with a violation of the Student Code of Conduct simply for asking the question). Communication is terrible - just to find out simple information on procedures, policies, or contact info requires a trip through a labyrinth of false leads and misinformation. Add to that the recent PR hype issuing from the President's office and the morale issue is no surprise. If we continue as we are now, there may not be a Community College of Philadelphia in the next decade.

Advice to Management

Open your minds, ears, and hearts to students, staff, and faculty! There is no "Us vs. Them". Stand in a student' shoes for a day or two (or a week), see how it is to try to figure out who your adviser is, what classes you need and how to register for them, how to afford textbooks and fees, how to try to communicate outside of class with your instructor who has to commute between three different campuses just to make ends meet. Stand in the shoes of the lowest-paid staff at the College and see what it feels like to be told that not only you will get no pay raise - not even a cost of living increase - but that you will also have to pay an out-of-pocket deductible for medical tests that are beyond your means, meaning that you or your family may face having to forego necessary health care. Stand in the shoes of adjunct faculty who can't budget their lives beyond the current semester since they have no idea whether or not they will be working during the next one (or even if their current hours will last through the term), who pay as much as half their take home salaries back to the College for medical and prescription coverage, or face having to choose not to carry prescription coverage just to afford food, rent, and utilities. Be the leaders the College desperately needs - or step aside for those who will.

Blind Leading The Visually Impaired

Current Employee - Associate Professor
    Current Employee - Associate Professor

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia

Pros

Huge student body across an age/abilities spectrum including a large and highly motivated immigrant population along with significant numbers of part time continuing ed professionals seeking career advancement training. If you can teach to this widely varied population then YOU CAN TEACH ANYWHERE!

Cons

College is poorly funded by a bloated city government and main campus is located in a high crime area. Administrators are largely pencil pushing bureaucrats with extremely poor people skills who spend most of their time hiding in their offices so no one will notice their incompetence and lack of knowledge.

Advice to Management

Senior management should immediately take some of the college's own courses in psychology, sociology, and elementary business management. Middle echelon management consists largely of fairly knowledgeable and motivated faculty whose advice is largely ignored by the imbeciles flying the plane. These folks should immediately return to the classroom where they'll be more appreciated and better utilized.

6. Benefits Outweigh Environment

Current Employee - Administrator
    Current Employee - Administrator

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are unlike most other employers. This includes free health care and on-site health services, great 401k and match, flexibility with time off and great vacation policy, four day work week in Summer.

Cons

There is a gap in higher management and those beneath. The atmosphere can be unrelenting and those at the bottom can find difficulty advancing. There is a new direction because of a new President and VP which seems likely to improve the college, or at least an attempt at it. Problem on both sides of this change- the new leadership doesn't do a remarkable job in encouraging optimism or communicating to the college as a whole and those who have been here for years exhibit negativity and resist the possibility of improvement.

Advice to Management

Consider the input of it's staff and value their work.

7. CCP needs improvement

Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia

Pros

great city, good diverse student body.

Cons

students having harder time getting financial aid. p/t needs better $

Advice to Management

fight harder for grants to fund programs and be pro-active with each dept like FSU

8. Student Ambassador

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia

Pros

Flexible hours, unique experiences, great people to work with and very accomodating.

Cons

Unorganized and a lot of thinking on your feet/ not knowing what you're going to do.

Advice to Management

Lower amount of hours required and less work study like jobs.

9. Hard to move up if you are entry level and/or part-time

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great colleagues, new buildings and renovations on all campuses -Benefits: great if you are full-time, decent if you are part-time. Tuition remission, dental/medical are fully paid for full-time employees. Tuition remission is 1 class for part-time and 2 classes after 2 years and employees pay into their medical/dental - coverage is great for what you pay. -Fun events year-around that foster positive employee morale -Diverse staff, faculty, and student population -Professional development is there if you take advantage of it (online trainings and every semester on campus) -Some members of administration are very encouraging and supportive in helping you utilize your best skills - I feel valued by my supervisor and department -Some of the instructors are incredible educators with passion for their jobs

Cons

-Almost no opportunities to move up if you are entry level or part-time - I work 2 jobs to sustain myself. I can't get another job on campus because it would put me in full-time status and they would have to pay benefits - even if you have the skills and excellent performance reviews, if you don't have their narrow definition of "experience" you are stuck in your position. -I haven't had a raise in years due to a quarrel between the union and administration -Some departments lack communication skills and are not helpful to students -Some members of the union have been around for a long time and have grown comfortable with doing very little -Some students come to my office often frustrated from being shuffled around by other staff members without clear solutions to their problems. -Some instructors are not so passionate about teaching.

Advice to Management

-Make your best employees feel valuable and let their annual performance reviews be reflected in their pay or upward mobility within the company -Get a contract between the union and administration

Good place to get a part time job during you are a student.

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Good working environment and good studying atmosphere.

Cons

nothing that I feel bad.

11. Part-time employment, Full-time disengagement

Former Employee - Academic Mentor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Academic Mentor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Community College of Philadelphia part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had the opportunity to teach out-of-school youth how to organize and develop their academic goals through career development and establishing effective study habits.

Cons

Aloofness is not conducive to a work environment within an academic institution. Miscommunication between entry-level and senior management led to poor delegation of high priority tasks and mediocre execution of deliverables to student body.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable for their actions. Micro-manage your team. Efface blurred lines of communication and delegate roles accordingly. Follow-up is crucial to efficient teamwork.

RSS Feed </> Embed