Community College of Philadelphia

www.ccp.edu

Community College of Philadelphia Reviews

Updated May 6, 2014
Community College of Philadelphia – US – “Mint Building”

One of the best attributes of CCP is the great people.

Student Worker (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsI always looked forward to going to work, the pleasant working environment was soothing.

ConsIronically, some of the students were difficult to deal with. Ironic, because I was a student at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt always pays to treat your staff with dignity and grace.

Student helper

Computer Helper (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsPay all time, help people

ConsDont have much timrme to work

Special event organizer

Event Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a great place to work

ConsThere are no huge salaries

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The experience at community college of Philadelphia was rewarding.

Student (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsI think the best reason to work at community college of Philadelphia was being around the college environment ...

ConsThere were no down falls to working there. i enjoyed ever minute there from management to my co-worker and students I was able to assist on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change anything.

Great place to work; doing great things for the residents of Philadelphia

ProsFaculty & staff are top notch

ConsBe prepared, you will be expected to work hard, but it's gratifying work

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Prospective of interpersonal student problem solving.

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsDevelops you as a Professional Learner in your gift.

ConsThe process is already framed in the time frame of someone other than you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf, possible, try identify the gift and learning ability of the student and reasonable time frame in which it can be accomplished.

Part-time employment, Full-time disengagement

Academic Mentor (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsHad the opportunity to teach out-of-school youth how to organize and develop their academic goals through career development and establishing effective study habits.

ConsAloofness is not conducive to a work environment within an academic institution.
    Miscommunication between entry-level and senior management led to poor delegation of high priority tasks and mediocre execution of deliverables to student body.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees accountable for their actions. Micro-manage your team. Efface blurred lines of communication and delegate roles accordingly. Follow-up is crucial to efficient teamwork.

Good place to get a part time job during you are a student.

Math Tutor (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood working environment and good studying atmosphere.

Consnothing that I feel bad.

Hard to move up if you are entry level and/or part-time

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Pros-Great colleagues, new buildings and renovations on all campuses
    -Benefits: great if you are full-time, decent if you are part-time. Tuition remission, dental/medical are fully paid for full-time employees. Tuition remission is 1 class for part-time and 2 classes after 2 years and employees pay into their medical/dental - coverage is great for what you pay.
    -Fun events year-around that foster positive employee morale
    -Diverse staff, faculty, and student population
    -Professional development is there if you take advantage of it (online trainings and every semester on campus)
    -Some members of administration are very encouraging and supportive in helping you utilize your best skills - I feel valued by my supervisor and department
    -Some of the instructors are incredible educators with passion for their jobs

Cons-Almost no opportunities to move up if you are entry level or part-time - I work 2 jobs to sustain myself. I can't get another job on campus because it would put me in full-time status and they would have to pay benefits - even if you have the skills and excellent performance reviews, if you don't have their narrow definition of "experience" you are stuck in your position.
    -I haven't had a raise in years due to a quarrel between the union and administration
    -Some departments lack communication skills and are not helpful to students
    -Some members of the union have been around for a long time and have grown comfortable with doing very little
    -Some students come to my office often frustrated from being shuffled around by other staff members without clear solutions to their problems.
    -Some instructors are not so passionate about teaching.

Advice to Senior Management-Make your best employees feel valuable and let their annual performance reviews be reflected in their pay or upward mobility within the company
    -Get a contract between the union and administration

Student Ambassador

ProsFlexible hours, unique experiences, great people to work with and very accomodating.

ConsUnorganized and a lot of thinking on your feet/ not knowing what you're going to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower amount of hours required and less work study like jobs.

Worked for Community College of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!