Community College of Philadelphia Reviews

CEO

1. Benefits Outweigh Environment

Current Employee - Administrator
    Current Employee - Administrator

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are unlike most other employers. This includes free health care and on-site health services, great 401k and match, flexibility with time off and great vacation policy, four day work week in Summer.

Cons

There is a gap in higher management and those beneath. The atmosphere can be unrelenting and those at the bottom can find difficulty advancing. There is a new direction because of a new President and VP which seems likely to improve the college, or at least an attempt at it. Problem on both sides of this change- the new leadership doesn't do a remarkable job in encouraging optimism or communicating to the college as a whole and those who have been here for years exhibit negativity and resist the possibility of improvement.

Advice to Management

Consider the input of it's staff and value their work.

2. Community College Review

I worked at Community College of Philadelphia part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good place to work. You meet a lot of great people while you're working here. Great hours, sometimes flexible, depending on your specific job. You rarely have to work past 5pm or on weekends, and in the Summer you only have a four day work week.

Cons

Having to deal with people in different departments can become a little difficult. You may have issues with people in certain departments, they can be rude at times.

Advice to Management

You should be more open to bringing in new, younger, more vibrant employees. Many of the existing employees have bad attitudes and are sometimes the reason why students change their minds about attending.

3. I was a work study student assisting the Financial aid department with clerical duties or administrative work.

Former Employee - Work Study Student in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Work Study Student in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Community College of Philadelphia part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Theskills I have benefited from was learning to proform clerical duties, maintaining cleaningliness of computers and organize the public area too. Best of all my experiences with Community College of Philadelphia is that they take pride in their students continuing their education in a diverse environment located within the college.

Cons

I am sad to report that I was not allowed as a work-study student, I could not work over twenty hours a week. I enjoyed assisting the Financial aid Administrative employees at Community College of Philadelphia. I had to move on because I had graduated from the college.

Advice to Management

I have no advice at this time to management.

Student helper

Current Employee - Computer Helper in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Computer Helper in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay all time, help people

Cons

Dont have much timrme to work

6. Special event organizer

Current Employee - Event Assistant
    Current Employee - Event Assistant

Pros

It is a great place to work

Cons

There are no huge salaries

Great place to work; doing great things for the residents of Philadelphia

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Faculty & staff are top notch

Cons

Be prepared, you will be expected to work hard, but it's gratifying work

Advice to Management

None

8. Part-time employment, Full-time disengagement

Former Employee - Academic Mentor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Academic Mentor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Community College of Philadelphia part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had the opportunity to teach out-of-school youth how to organize and develop their academic goals through career development and establishing effective study habits.

Cons

Aloofness is not conducive to a work environment within an academic institution. Miscommunication between entry-level and senior management led to poor delegation of high priority tasks and mediocre execution of deliverables to student body.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable for their actions. Micro-manage your team. Efface blurred lines of communication and delegate roles accordingly. Follow-up is crucial to efficient teamwork.

Good place to get a part time job during you are a student.

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment and good studying atmosphere.

Cons

nothing that I feel bad.

10. Hard to move up if you are entry level and/or part-time

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

-Great colleagues, new buildings and renovations on all campuses -Benefits: great if you are full-time, decent if you are part-time. Tuition remission, dental/medical are fully paid for full-time employees. Tuition remission is 1 class for part-time and 2 classes after 2 years and employees pay into their medical/dental - coverage is great for what you pay. -Fun events year-around that foster positive employee morale -Diverse staff, faculty, and student population -Professional development is there if you take advantage of it (online trainings and every semester on campus) -Some members of administration are very encouraging and supportive in helping you utilize your best skills - I feel valued by my supervisor and department -Some of the instructors are incredible educators with passion for their jobs

Cons

-Almost no opportunities to move up if you are entry level or part-time - I work 2 jobs to sustain myself. I can't get another job on campus because it would put me in full-time status and they would have to pay benefits - even if you have the skills and excellent performance reviews, if you don't have their narrow definition of "experience" you are stuck in your position. -I haven't had a raise in years due to a quarrel between the union and administration -Some departments lack communication skills and are not helpful to students -Some members of the union have been around for a long time and have grown comfortable with doing very little -Some students come to my office often frustrated from being shuffled around by other staff members without clear solutions to their problems. -Some instructors are not so passionate about teaching.

Advice to Management

-Make your best employees feel valuable and let their annual performance reviews be reflected in their pay or upward mobility within the company -Get a contract between the union and administration

11. Student Ambassador

I have been working at Community College of Philadelphia

Pros

Flexible hours, unique experiences, great people to work with and very accomodating.

Cons

Unorganized and a lot of thinking on your feet/ not knowing what you're going to do.

Advice to Management

Lower amount of hours required and less work study like jobs.

RSS Feed </> Embed