Community Gatepath

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
1.7

Sheryl Young

Amazing team of therapists, though leadership is less than ideal

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Community Gatepath part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The team of therapists is amazing -- a supportive, talented, mission-driven group that puts their most into the work that they do.

Cons

There were many changes in leadership over my time working there, and the organization lacked a clear strategy and direction. Skilled supervision is not really present.

Better system of oversight and supervision, with more structured mentorship opportunities. Also needs more effective way to inspire therapists to increase productivity, since stating money amounts is not really what brought most therapists into the field.

same circus, different elephants

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Community Gatepath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees previously fired, pushed out, or left on bad terms are accepted back graciously as consultants.

Company is good at attracting talent for at least 6 months to 1 year.

Cons

Remember in school when the teacher would assign a group project and there was always that one kid who does nothing and takes the same credit as the group? Now imagine a team of people like that, and add poor communication skills, and favoritism from the teacher. This is what its like working at Community Gatepath.

The problems that run deep is low morale amongst staff, high turn over of employees, increasingly ineffective services, and maladaptive from the adult services department.

Low morale- I truly believe that management forgets that they are running a human services industry. I can confidently say that at least 80% of the staff members openly have not respected adult services management for the last few years. The moral is not getting any better, it's just that the people who spoke up about issues found their way out the door. The majority of staff do not call management "leaders" because they do not lead or inspire.

I constantly hear about how rudely staff are treated and how often their workload is changed or increased. It is demoralizing when management consistently treats us like we are below them.

Management's mistakes are swept under the rug yet their subordinates mistakes are magnified. Currently, there is emphasis on accountability, but that exercise has proved to be used to help shift more blame onto direct care staff and coordinators.

It is close to impossible to take time off work without coming back to a complete disaster. There is no capacity for people to support others when they need to take time off, and in this work it is important to have time to disconnect.

High turn over- Staff that have been with the company for 5, 10, 15, 20, years avoid company events, even if they are receiving an internal award.The few events planned for staff are so poorly attended that they have cancelled them. Managers are asked to recruit their staff, but they act as if they dont want to be there either. Example: the holiday party (which was scheduled in mid Jan,) 25% of the employes attended.

Company recently lost several exceptional staff members: direct care, supervisors, human resources and leadership. I made a list right now and counted 28 people in 2013 including: VP, human resources, directors, managers, managers, teachers, job coaches, coordinators. Half way into this year, the numbers almost exceed that amount in just 3 departments.That's really high!! Sadly, many people were good at their job but were poorly managed.

I hear conversations regularly by people wondering if they stay afloat by merging and eliminating positions. Many positions seem as if they are randomly eliminated. Possibly trying to eliminate the person but can only do it by also eliminating the position.

The other posts on here are accurate about the overworking of positions where staff wear several hats. I'm so tired seeing people break down in tears out of frustration or regularly carry high doses of frustration.

The feedback I get from coworkers is that human resources is not approachable or confidential. Not approachable because they are either not working that day so there is no one to go to or when they are available you are treated like you are wasting their time. Not confidential because often times employee issues are spread to the executive team.

Quality of services- Participants in programming are too often an after thought. Many buildings have unsanitary conditions, where buildings smell like body odor and feces. Molding in bathrooms. Staff and clients are constantly getting sick. I've been sick 7 times in one year!!

There is no room and consumers are packed so tightly in that they don't have chairs to seat everyone.

There is a significant amount of double dipping and over enrollment.

There is little investment in program activities and materials for staff to support consumers. Adults are given crayons and coloring paper too often.

Staff members have provided rides to participants for the last 15 years but now they do not want to be liable. With bus routes to program locations being eliminated this has put an extra burden on families and care homes.

Children, participants, staff are removed from programs if the right person complains. Very little investigation is conducted as to why the removal occurred. No support, advocating, or communication for the person being removed.

There are so many red flags that the agency is constantly undergoing audits through community care licensing, department of labor and so forth.

Scapegoating is too ramped and most employees consistently need to watch their back for defamation. The only silver lining is that the participants for the most part really appreciate you because you are the one who is there for them.

Greed from upper management and blame-game between everyone competing to stay or be at upper-management level.

Confidentially evaluate job satisfaction under manager and directors that have been "leading" for more than 2 years. More anonymous evaluations.

Real issues are too often filtered through jaded adult management director and manager since there continues to be a strong disconnect. The agency is too small to continue to have this many large fundamental problems.

Many of my friends who currently work in adult services tell me how poorly the department is managed. Look into these programs!

Tone Deaf Executive Team

I worked at Community Gatepath full-time

Pros

The direct care staff really is passionate about the welfare of the participants and there are a number of employees who resist more lucrative opportunities because of that passion.

While the pay for direct care staff is low for full time employment in the Bay Area it's on the higher end for similar positions in the area unfortunately. The benefits are good, not great.

The two stars, as opposed to the customary one star that Community Gatepath seems to usually get on this page, is 100% due to the dedication of those employees at the lowest end of the pay scale who care more than anybody else. They're so good and so caring that they can't help but pull up the agency on their own.

Cons

There are tons of highly paid consultants that the agency uses, often with the same sort of connections that I outline below to describe the Executive team. When I say "tons" I would estimate over a dozen that I'm personally aware of and I'm sure that I'm not aware of all of them. The best way to secure such a gig is to be close friends with somebody who Sheryl Young is interested in currying favor with.

The Executive Team is tone deaf and really bad at even faking interest in the population we serve, their employees or the Mission. The management team attempts to run the agency like a for profit company but the team running the agency doesn't seem to understand basic economic principals and end up flubbing up that process into a mishmash that's worse than going full bore in the either direction.

The longstanding members of the Executive team don't tend to have much of a business background and are often coincidentally linked by association, friendship or family ties to existing management, board members or influential members of the community. Even worse, these hires also don't have an extensive non-profit background and often don't bring anything obvious to the table.

Occasionally the agency makes a "big splash" and hires somebody with an actual and documented business background. These new hires are typically cast as the bad guys and used to justify employee unfriendly behavior, they never last long and they end up resigning. None of them last a year, most don't last six months and everything wrong with the agency is laid at their feet upon their exit. This boogeyman designation lasts until their successor follows the same pattern and they assume the mantle of the new boogeyman.

My number one piece of advise won't happen anytime soon, which would be replacing the CEO of Community Gatepath, Sheryl Young. I've heard stories about the Sheryl Young of the past, who was apparently passionate herself and actually accessible to the people who work for her. Those same people who give her due credit for her past successes also acknowledge that the Sheryl Young of 2014 isn't that same person and hasn't been for many years. I don't know her well enough to explain what happened, what changed but the Sheryl Young I barely know isn't that inspirational person.

I have a hard time assessing the abilities of the Executive Team who work under Sheryl Young as they seem to follow her lead very closely. Some of them may have the potential to contribute elsewhere if given a fresh start but they don't have credibility within the agency.

Community Gatepath is a great place to work!

I have been working at Community Gatepath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I speak from experience as having worked at Community Gatepath for over four years. I’m continually impressed by the passion and dedication of the people I work with. Our employees care about what they do and the individuals and families we serve. Our management team is a group of fearless leaders who support and strive for excellence. Leadership sincerely cares about the quality of our services and the work environment we provide for our employees. Our programs continue to expand and grow to meet the needs of the children and adults we serve. Our work is our community. I’m proud to be a part of Community Gatepath and encourage passionate individuals who believe in our mission to explore who we are and the opportunities we provide.

Cons

The cons are no different than what most non-profits face - limited resources are a challenge but Community Gatepath is creative and innovative with facing this challenge!

Keeping up appearances but rotting from the inside

I have been working at Community Gatepath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with people with developmental disabilities gives me gratitude for what I have.

Wages for entry-level jobs are on the higher end compared to other companies I have worked at. This comes with more work though.

Surprising number of services for people with disabilities. They're not necessarily run well but there are a lot of them. Community Gatepath serves both children and adults.

Great marketing team. Their ability to get donors is the biggest reason why we are still afloat.

Cons

A lot of flowery talk and empty promises but constantly poor results.

The 5star review that was written was probably written by someone from management because it sounds exactly like the kind of language that we usually hear from them. You ask a question and the answer you get is usually vague and unspecific.

Whenever I get an email about someone that is getting laid off or another director that's leaving, I always see buzz words like dedication, passion, and opportunity. Directors don't leave because of the ridiculous workload "they go off to pursue other opportunities." Our bosses don't remember the specifics of what we accomplished during the year, so they praise us for our hardwork, passion, and dedication.

So much money is spent on appearances but not on trying to keep good staff from leaving. Visit our office in Redwood City. It's beautiful. High ceilings, pictures of participants on the walls, high tech equipment. Then visit any of the adult centers or job sites that they work at. Staff are running around trying to figure out what their going to do that day. Equipment are outdated.

I've personally witnessed dozens of high ranking managers quit or get fired in the over 4 years I've worked at Gatepath. We never hear why the managers left. We never get to give our input on how we can help solve that problem.

HR is especially unhelpful. One of my coworkers lost a family member so she called HR about how many days off she can get. In a rude tone, HR told her that she should have talked to her boss about the issue.

The biggest issue for me is how disconnected management is from their staff. I've worked at a good amount of nonprofits, and I've never seen that before. When there's a big change coming, my bosses used to let me know over a month in advance so I can prepare. When big changes happen in Gatepath, we don't usually find out until a week before it happens. What's worse is that people usually know several weeks in advance.

My coworkers come up with so many good ideas and management pretends to listen to them but eventually ignores them. I've worked at other nonprofit jobs where we created entire departments based on comments from staff.

Stop with the vague announcements. Whenever I get an email that doesn't make sense, I usually assume now that some of us are getting laid off or quitting.

Don't pretend that you are listening to us at meetings. We can tell when you aren't. It is insulting to staff but they will never challenge their boss.

Say hi to us. Stop and talk. Stop walking quickly though the rooms like you have too much to do to talk to us for 5 minutes.

You're losing quality staff every month. Figure out why.

Stop this culture of blaming your problems on people who have just left. "So and so didn't do this so now my job is harder." When you hear that for years and years and the problem is never fixed even after all several people have filled that position, there's something wrong with the organization, not the employees.

A for-profit non profit

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Community Gatepath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Like many of the reviews on here point out, the direct care staff at gatepath do an outstanding job considering how difficult and frustrating it can be working in this type of environment. They are dedicated and passionate, despite having no incentive to do so, because they believe in the cause and they are truly caring people. There is something to be said about having zero help, no resources, no guidance, little to no training, and absolutely no support yet still being successful at your job, and that alone is a reason the staff should be largely commended.
    The another positive aspect of this company is the clients we serve, themselves. Once you get to know some of these individuals, they will profoundly change your life. It's the most rewarding aspect of this job and I can't say enough about just how good it feels to help people that need it and additionally how thankful they are to have you in their life. I think working in this field can be an enormous blessing given the right circumstances.

Cons

This company is ran very inefficiently and the turnover is very high. Thus decision making is scattered, and often misguided. Rather than promote from within, this company chooses to recruit individuals who have never worked in this field and who usually are only with the company for a brief stay, thus further perpetuating this cycle. To make matters worse, most of upper management is disconnected from the population we serve, so when decisions are made, they are rarely made in the best interest of the participants we are here to serve and in most cases they are made strictly from a financial perspective.

In addition, the salaries of upper management are staggering considering the field we work in and the fact that most direct care staff barely make a living wage. The CEO makes upwards of 200,000$ and the numerous other vice presidents and directors make six figures as well. Many of the participants make less than minimum wage, which admittedly isn't uncommon in this field, however seems very irrational when you notice the salary discrepancy. At one point in time this company cut paid sick time to the participants, due to down economic times, but decided to maintain the salaries of upper management and in some cases raises were received. Similarly, they cut Christmas bonuses, paid overtime, and implemented furlough days which led to a lot of friction in the work place between direct care staff and upper management.

Another point to mention, and along the same lines as the previous one, there is a lack of resources and support for staff at this company. Many of the sites or offices, depending on the location, are very old and lack the proper equipment to really run a successful program. Some sites have a difficult time finding enough chairs and staff are crammed into tiny offices that once were closets. Many of these sites are overcrowded and understaffed, this goes back to the point above; rather than spend the resources needed to make sure the programs will be successful and be beneficial for the clients, that money goes elsewhere (i.e. salaries). As a result some of the clients are not happy at these sites and aren't getting the services they should be. To add to the growing issue of morale, the upper management teams are located in a beautiful new office space, next to oracle and other corporations in redwood shores, flush with resources and a very aesthetically pleasing work environment. Symbolically it seems very fitting. Also another problem in terms of resources is that there aren't any case workers that work at Gatepath, to provide support. This was a conscious decision made to save money, by upper management, and in doing so the responsibility of each clients case load was then unloaded onto the already overworked staff. There are more directors and VP's than there are case workers at Gatepath, which is very problematic and only adds to the growing frustration of staff. As noted before, there aren't enough staff to supervise the amount of clients Gatepath is receiving funding for, so very often staff are moved around in order to meet proper ratios. In other cases, staff can be left with a large number of participants to supervise and have to do so with little to no support.

The main, underlying, issue at Gatepath is that morale has gotten so low that it has become a very poor working environment. Many of the staff make less than they did when they started. This is compounded and made worse with every new hire in upper management. Promises have been made to staff over the years and rarely have they ever come to fruition. Staff has no voice or say in any decision making that comes down from above. At most companies, staff can go to HR to communicate problems or resolve issues. At Community Gatepath, HR has become part of the upper management team and act as such, this is in addition to being completely inept at their jobs. Formal complaints have been made, yet this is the one department that has little to no turnover. Thus, this has only increased the growing frustration internally among employees. There is also zero upward mobility within this company and thus no real hope for a better job for most staff. Anytime a management position opens they will hire from the outside or they will eliminate the position and give the responsibilities to the lower level employees. Some staff have been at Gatepath for 15 plus years, and have never been given an opportunity to become a coordinator yet alone a manager of some sort. There are also zero incentives for employees. No matter how hard you work or how successful you are, there is no way to earn more income, there is no way to get a promotion, and there is no acknowledgement of the work you do. This is beyond disheartening for staff. Some of the ways in which businesses try to alleviate tension in the work place are through parties or bonuses. One year, all staff received four chocolates for a Christmas bonus. That only made morale worse. In reality, there are no bonuses except at the top. There is the occasional Christmas party, however, one year they asked the employees to provide the food, themselves. I kid you not. Morale has now gotten so bad that many staff have left the company at a rate that is very startling. In the meantime, all that extra work is being dumped onto the remaining staff further making matters worse. This problem won't get any better in the interim, however, because no one wants to work for this company. Some positions have been listed for years now. In sum, the morale problem is only getting worse and it makes for a miserable working environment.

They know what would make this company better, because we have told them to their faces. There have been numerous meetings over the years from department meetings to "morale" meetings. All of these problems and issues have been brought to the attention of upper management and yet nothing has been done. Everyone is quitting it seems so maybe that will lead to some sort of change or at least maybe they will begin to treat their staff better. I sincerely hope someday, though, they get their act together and truly follow their mission statement. This company is supposed to be there for the participants, not the other way around.

High Work Load, High Turnover, and No Raises

I worked at Community Gatepath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. If you make friends the right person in power, you can climb the ladder using social skills and a good understanding of your boss's expectations

2. Decent severance packages

3. Boss are usually so overworked that you can ignore a lot of your smaller duties without getting hassled.

4. IT department is really good and always willing to make it easier to work remote from home

5. Every once in a while, you get a chance to meet people with disabilities and their families. It's really heartwarming to know that in spite of the high work load and not getting recognized, you're really making a difference in people's lives.

Cons

1. When I was at Gatepath 2 years ago I saw a director, long-time managers, and direct-care staff of longer than 10 years leave on bad terms with the company. Just last year, friends in the company told me that the company lost 2 vice presidents, their CFO, close to a dozen people who worked there for 7 years or longer, and another dozen people who worked there for less than 7 years.

2. Because of the turnover, everyone ends up doing someone else's job on top of their own. Employees get overworked and chewed out for not being able to keep up. On the plus side, if you know what things your boss will notice, it's easier to manage your work load by ignoring the things your boss won't notice (or at least the things she won't notice until later).

3. You have to work on weekends. There is so much work that you can't avoid it. You will also probably get a call and do some kind of work on your vacation.

4. You won't leave a mark and your work won't be remembered. That could be the most heartbreaking thing about the job. My coworkers and I put in long hours on a daily basis, on weekends, holidays, and people don't remember. When I took my job, I only remember the girl before me getting blamed for the catch up work we had to do. When I left the job, my friends in the company told me I was getting blamed for the catch up work they have to do. It's a cycle that the people at the top won't take the steps to change.

5. I never got a salary increase when I worked there. They told me that if I want a salary increase, I need to take on more responsibilities. You don't get a bonus for taking on the work of people who leave. Sometimes you get donuts.

You are losing really smart and talented people every year. Think about why the turnover is so high. My friends at other nonprofits say that the turnover isn't as high as Gatepath's at their company. The turnover rate is probably 1/4 of Gatepath's at the place I worked at after Gatepath, and I never saw upper management leave their job.

Poor values/should be shut down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Community Gatepath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Once you start working with and/or for children and adults with disabilities, it is difficult to leave the work because of how rewarding it is.
    -If you have many obligations in your life, you can call out from work 1-2 times/week without penalty.
    -You can move up the ladder quickly if you make friends with upper management (director-level). With a GED or AA you can be a manager of a department.
    -There are many opportunities to volunteer your time after working your shift

Cons

This is NOT a company that puts staff (direct care/middle management) first.
    Competent staff that have been with the agency for 10-15 years continue to make $12-13 an hour, when starting employees make $15 with no experience (same level of education). There is a glass ceiling for staff and very little training is provided. The mentality is typically "what we can get away with" or "finding the loop holes" rather than "support team."

-Promotions are possible through "reorgs," where secret planning is conducted, promotions are promised behind closed doors, and announced later. Sometimes promotions are not announced at all (people find out by the title change at the bottom of an employees e-mail signature). This has led to excessive low morale amongst staff when significantly under qualified staff are promoted (sometimes when their friends blatantly promote them). Even though management has communicated there are no more 'reorgs,' this continues to happen every summer. The company eliminates critical positions, demotes staff without a discussion - all behind closed doors! Then there is a flyer e-mailed out to reflect new and often detrimental changes.

-EXTREMELY HIGH turnover across the board (from direct care to executive staff). I can think of at least 8 current employees that are looking for a new job. Many employees have reported depression and/or developed drinking problems after starting work with the company. My guess is because of feeling stuck or demoralised from upper management (HR, executive team, directors).

-Marketing, the executive team, and CEO often avoid interaction with clients, typically the adults with developmental disabilities and direct care staff. These people are also highly disconnected from programming (may have never been to the programs).
    -Clients that are picked for public awards are usually ones that are "easy on the eyes."

The agency recently started striving for "world class services," but they fail to invest money in training staff or hiring individuals with specialities in these "world class" areas.The CEO typically runs with an idea that management is expected to implement in a few short weeks. They consistently start new programs without a pilot run, thoughtful brainstorms, or asking critical staff members what is working.

-Put clients first. Do not sacrifice quality of programs by over-working direct care staff with low ratios.
    -Announce open positions fairly and interview internally.
    -Develop protocol for underperforming staff.
    -Build on current staff's strengths (not best guess strengths).
    -Get to know your direct reports (can you name at least 3 personal details about them?)
    -Let staff know their department goals, what they should focus on.
    -Give corrective feedback to staff, and listen to them.

Leaders make decisions without talking to staff or thinking about how it will affect their work.

Current Employee - Instructor in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Community Gatepath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers who aren't in Leadership are really cool and good to work with. I met friends at this company. Not because of the company, but because people who have a good heart usually pick this kind of job.

Good benefits. Dental, medical, sick days, vacations.

When I think about how bad my days are and then I think of one of my disabled clients, I'm grateful for what I have. They give my life more meaning.

Cons

Ridiculous high turnover. People who are constantly leaving. Executive team members. 5 and 10 and 15 year veterans. People who only have the job for a week come in and quit.

Leaders walk into our buildings without even talking to our disabled clients. They say hi to us once in a while but they treat the staff sometimes like we're not important.

Leaders don't know what's going on in the programs. Sometimes a parent of a client would complain about how bad the program is and the upper management hears about it and they make sudden changes based on one phone call from a donor. The staff all think "That's been a problem for a year. Why didn't you make the changes when WE told you about it?"

I'm worried that I've been involved in shady things. The company has lost our files so they made our supervisors sign job descriptions and annual review forms... and we had to put the date from 1 and 2 years ago. Isn't that illegal? We're all scared to lose our jobs so we just do what they ask us. We had our CARF review who are the people who give us our accreditation. They one day the CARF auditors came to look at our sites, they made staff and participants leave because if there are too many of them in the building. There are usually 20 more people in the building than there should be. Of course the day that CARF came the building looked perfect. People from the outside don't see how bad it is on the inside.

Clients are in our programs who could get their own independent job. They're smart enough to do it but instead we keep them in the day programs because we make more revenue when they're in our day programs. The government pays us for participant attendance.

Our company plays favorites. We have participants who are "VIP" because their parents donate money. So even if someone is showing behaviors that would disqualify them from a program, we have to keep them in it because they're VIP. The staff feel like they're feedback isn't important because of how often it is ignored. Our ideas for how to make things better get shot down frequently.

I don't want my boss's job. The supervisors and managers work at night and at weekends because they have too much work to get it done on weekdays. They look unhappy a lot of the time.

I talk to my coworkers in different departments and even though they still like working with our clients they don't have passion anymore. They're basically doing this job because they need the money and the benefits. People who used to be good employees now do the minimum because they don't believe in the direction the company is going. I overheard people talking about quitting on a daily basis. Half of the coworkers I talk to are actually looking for new jobs.

Sit down and look at the programs for a week. Compare what you see to the policies and procedures that you tell us to follow. Your policies and procedures and your program descriptions aren't what participants are getting.

Read our morale issues last that our supervisors talked to us about last year. We haven't heard anything about what Leadership things of the issues that we mentioned.

Please put more care into not losing our confidential paperwork. It makes the trust of employees lower when you ask them to sign paperwork that was lost years ago and put the date of two years ago instead of today.

Fun, meaningful job turned into a distasteful and disorganized mess

I have been working at Community Gatepath full-time

Pros

Working with people with developmental disabilities has changed my perspective in life and working for Community Gatepath has helped me grow as a person in many ways. I've experienced a lot of personal growth working with this company. Most of the direct care staff and supervisors that I have interacted with have been great at their jobs and have a lot of passion for what they do. The company provides good health benefits and going to work used to be a great way to get away from my personal life. No matter how bad my days started out, going to work always made my days get a lot better.

Cons

However, in the past few years our services have gone downhill. Our managers and supervisors are individually carrying out the duties meant for multiple people. This overworking trickles down to the direct care staff and the voices of our concerns are not being heard. HR is pushing all issues and concerns onto our Supervisors and Managers to deal with when they are already at their capacity. When I see managers mistreating their staff, not listening, and speaking over them, I want to voice my opinion about their unprofessional behavior but there is no one to speak to about these concerns. HR is constantly losing the paperwork of employees and are not helpful at assisting with the grievances of employees, whether it be personal or work related.

Over the years, I have seen drastic changes in the company. And these changes have not changed the organization for the better. For many years staff have lost their hours and have not regained their wages. With changes in our economy, no adjustments have been made to keep up with current inflation rates. Direct care staff struggle with everyday payments while our executive/upper management teams are getting raises or bonuses. Supervisors, managers, and direct care staff members are working double, even triple the workload compared to 2009, but all the hard work they are putting into it is not seen in their wages. The hard work is being generously given to those who do not understand the population we work with.

These days no matter how good my days start, as soon as I enter into my workplace I lose all my cheerfulness. My motivation to strive has shot straight down. Work used to be my escape, but now it’s the place I want to hide from. I wish the company would utilize all the amazingly talented staff that they have. There are many that are passionate about what they do and they have the desire to make a positive change, but without the support of the upper management it’s impossible to do. The most devastating thing for me to see is the people we are supposed to be serving are not receiving the services that they really need; the services that will help them grow and integrate into their community as active citizens. Until some positive, productive changes are made the company will continue to lose capable staff members and the quality of services will suffer.

Many changes are needed and it needs to start with the foundation of the organization. Asking employees for their feedback on issues and concerns of the company's status and then pushing these concerns under a rug and forgetting about them is only going to lower morale and overall functioning of the company. Action needs to be taken. Fixing the small issues that people feel are arduous will only make the company better in the long run. It’s going to be a struggle in the beginning, but if it will make the organization better in the long run, I know plenty of employees are willing to put the work and effort into creating something that is worthwhile.