Community Health Systems

Be The First To
Add Photos

Community Health Systems Chairman, President and CEO Wayne T. Smith

Wayne T. Smith

Pros
  • One of the best things about working at CHS is the job security(in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, friendly work environment, professional care given,(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Lower salary, office was very run down, high turnover because of round the clock hours and low salary(in 9 reviews)

• Upper management is allowed to be arbitrary in their dealings with supervisory staff(in 8 reviews)

Difficult to tell this is a hospital company

Chief Executive Officer (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful headquarters and close to the Interstate

ConsTurnover, high charges, below average benefits, nepotism

Advice to Senior ManagementNew board and senior management needed

skip this if you like your RN license

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

Proslots of overtime to be had until your as burned out as the few remaining nurses that are not travelers who have no vested interest in the community of clarksville tn

Conspoor pay, dangerous situations due to lack of appropriate staffing. holds where pt ratios that out number the icu. management that knows there is an issue but refuse to address it. lost 15 nurses in 90 - 100 days they try to chalk it up to them being military dependents but they are not they are good experienced nurses with no ties to military. they are the nurses that see where this ride is going.
    long time employees with poor attitudes they just refuse to fire.
    patient care is no where in their list things to do just moving patients through like cattle. all just about numbers and time.
    there is no team or team work. this is a hospital that needs to reassess what it is doing and fix it.
    having a new grad nurse 2 weeks off orientation being a charge nurse on the floor is not safe or smart.
    there is no chance for personal growth as they do not have an educator or offer more than bls pals and acls.
    emergency nurse association recommends a 3 to 1 pt load you get buried here in a 4 to 1 load of often heavily laden-ed workups on patients.
    the atmosphere and morale are degrading daily.

Advice to Senior Managementshake the tree and start over.
    this facility is headed for trouble
    not just the recent woman sent to triage and passed away.

Chs

ProsLove the people I work with, though I probably would love them just as much if the greedy swine at the top of this corporation would stop giving themselves raises and massive bonuses and give something to there labor force.

ConsUpper management is hell bent on acquisition and maintaining their bonuses. That means you get a 1% annual pay increase and your told to be thankful for it....

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so greedy and short sited.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reckless disregard for the human element

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to learn new skillset
    Ability to move up rapidly if you are good at the political game

ConsYou will be expected to work up to 90 hours per week to complete projects
    Incompetency at senior levels
    Disregard for employees health, well being and family concerns
    Tendency towards arrogance and dominance from superiors...micro-management from multiple sources leads to confusion and errors
    Deadlines are inflexible and blame is passed down the food chain
    Communication from corporate to remote sites is often too late for the situation
    Contractors are treated like disposable, subhuman vermin
    Overtime pay for contract work is straight...not time and a half as per industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate your organization objectively from the outside. Listen to the complaints of current and former employees and contractors: there is a consistency to their arguments and they all point to unreasonable expectations, poor communications, an "old-boy" network and growing pains reflected in inadequate resources and delayed response. You cannot retain talent by working them to the very brink of their sanity. You cannot retain talent by denying them family time. You cannot retain talent by discouraging lunch breaks. You will only retain the desperate, the meek and the dictatorial types and will continue to spend an inordinate amount of your budget on hiring and training instead of the infrastructure..which is sorely lacking. This organization needs restructuring from the top down and reviews will continue to be poor until significant change is implemented

Corporate greed on steroids

ProsOkay insurance plan. Good physician staff.

ConsNo regard for employees. I know of one employee of 30 years summarily fired as a cost cutting measure...by Email. CHS customarily pays wages in the lower 1/3 of market rates. Nurses are routinely denied time off for doctor's visits and the like even with several weeks notice. Profits are far more important than patients. Employee turnover is high. The only comraderie among employees stems from the feeling that misery loves company.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur hospital is among the largest in CHS yet, to the best of my knowledge, none of the Nashville executives have ever set foot on campus. Try to manage the hospitals you have rather than focusing on sucking up even more.

No help, no communication, No Leaders

LVN (Former Employee) Weatherford, TX

ProsGood field nurses.. But they never stay

ConsNo support from management , rules change daily, rude office staff , only concerned with bottom dollar and not pt care. Lowest paid nurses in DFW area

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees , give them proper tools and training for good pt care

I worked at First Hospital in Kingston

First Hospital (Former Employee) Kingston, PA

ProsLax management, could be a fun atmosphere

ConsManagement is horrible, all they care about are numbers, they do not care about helping patients, management love to play with their favorite employees, too many cliques, very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the management---care more about the patients and less about the companies income or your own paychecks, don't promote favoritism, take some course in professionalism.

Worst experience of my career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPaycheck every two weeks, that's it.

ConsManagement is horrendous, The most abusive environment I have ever been exposed to. Corporate has no interest as to what goes on in the field, communicating any information, regardless of it's importance goes ignored/denied.

Advice to Senior ManagementShut it down.

Overworked, underpaid, and not appreciated

ProsDecent health insurance and other benefits. Good amount of PTO accrual. Steady hours and job security. Coworkers who are willing to work as a team to get job done.

ConsDifficult to get approval for PTO, scant raises, no appreciation for hard work and genuine effort. Only receive notice when an error is made, patient safety is often at risk in CHS hospitals as well as your license as a professional. No effort is made to rotate holidays so same employees work all holidays every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your lower level employees, tell them if you see them doing a good job, we like to know when we are doing something well and not only when we are doing something wrong. Don't play favorites. For direct supervisors, if you think something is going on with one of your employees talk to them directly about it, don't let it continue until they hear about it from another source, stop the problem before it starts!

Don't

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsIt's difficult to get fired

ConsDifficult to get fired, don't even hope for promotions / raises

Worked for Community Health Systems? Contribute to the Community!