Community Health Systems

Updated September 26, 2014
2.4

Community Health Systems Chairman, President and CEO Wayne T. Smith
Wayne T. Smith

Pros
  • Company leadership seem to understand that good pay helps with attracting talent (in 7 reviews)

• One of the best things about working at CHS is the job security (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is hell bent on acquisition and maintaining their bonuses (in 11 reviews)

• Lower salary, office was very run down, high turnover because of round the clock hours and low salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Most areas are great and overall it is a good company. A few areas are mismanaged and rogue

Former Employee - Director  in  Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Director in Franklin, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company is quality care focused and promotes an emphasis on regulatory compliance. Company has a strong core competence and is stable.

Cons

Some departments/areas are great as the executive management of those areas are competent and have a focus on getting the job done well and are willing to dig in and help. However, there are some areas, which you will find in all large companies, where the upper management is allowed to perform outside of the norm and/or there is not enough oversight of that area that others really know the extent of what goes on in those areas. It is those areas that need the most scrutiny.

Perform random and anonymous peer and management reviews in all areas to determine if there is a consistent pattern in particular areas that needs to be addressed. This would apply to your corporate as well as subsidiary entities. Although retaliation is not tolerated, it is still a real concern as there are ways that it can be done and made to appear non-retaliatory specifically in subsidiary entities where corporate is less involved.

ok place

Former Employee - Office  in  Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Office in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

hours of operation are good

Cons

no room for advancement in the company

over all great experience here

I have been working at Community Health Systems

Pros

the hours I work here

Cons

the pay is low since i have a degree

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The good news is everyone knows where the problems come from

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The employees have bonded pretty well, sort of how disaster survivors do.
    There are always plastic forks and spoons in the break room...yes I know this is a reach but I had to have at least 20 words.
    You literally can't get fired from here because no one cares enough to fire anyone.

Cons

I am an IS employee so I can only speak to that side of the business. What I can tell you is that on the IS side we are running roughly 20 years behind in technology and 40 years behind in work environment.
    The bulk of the problems at CHS rest at the feet of the CIO. He is an elderly man who is extremely out of touch with current technology and workplace expectations. Aside from making the IS employees being forced to wear ties every day he also doesn't allow: flex time, casual dress, office messenger, work from home, and essentially won't allow us to spend money on much needed upgrades - we don't even have the enterprise version of Sharepoint for crying out loud.
    This environment he has created causes massive, massive turnover issues so you never know who anyone is or where anyone went. This combined with the fact that the majority of people are contractors means there are no relationships between departments. This leads to lots of log jams as no one knows what anyone is responsible for, what anyone has, or how to locate anything. The problem is so systemic that people have simply given up and quit caring and nothing ever gets done. On the positive side this can lead to a relaxed environment but if you - like me - are the sort of person who sees problems and wants to proactively address them you will lose your mind. Nothing here ever changes because no one cares enough and the people who do leave very quickly...like me who am leaving currently.

The CIO, Gary Seay, has to go. He is holding the entire organization back - he may be a wonderful person but his inflexibility is keeping CHS from being able to attract top talent and on the rare occasion good people do find themselves here they leave as soon as they can unable to stand the environment his policies have created.

Temp Admin Assistant

I have been working at Community Health Systems as a contractor

Pros

Great culture. People seem to enjoy their jobs and treat you with dignity.

Cons

Badge color is a dividing line.

A little more diversity would be great.

Looking for a great company? Keep looking... (Corp Employee)

Current Employee - Applications Analyst  in  Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay isn't bad to start out, other than that.. not much else.

Cons

Zero loyalty to current employees, would rather high externally than internally.
    Very very rarely does anybody get a raise that one would bat an eye at.
    Not easy to move between departments and get promotions.
    If you do get a promotion to another team or dept there is an internal policy of no more than 7% raise.
    Most people leave the company for 6 months and then come back to the position they want and then they get the salary they deserve.
    If you don't work in the HQ you never see the CEO, I work in the office a stones throw away from the HQ and I've never seen him or met the man.
    When I was hired there was no knowledge transfer from the person that was in the position before me, I had to learn it all from scratch with zero help from my management.
    Health benefits are some of the worst I've seen from a company that makes nearly half a billion a year.
    I have zero doubt this company will grow and leadership will stay the same, because that's how it's setup to do. The rich get richer while the employees pay huge amounts in insurance and never get raises or promotions.

Learn to communicate with your employees better!
    The fact the CEO makes 25 million a year yet we can't get a raise or a promotion makes me sick.
    I pay almost $700 a month in insurance for my wife and son, how can that be okay?
    You've lost touch with the people that work here.

Mr. CEO how can you take so much while giving everyone else so little?

I have been working at Community Health Systems

Pros

No perks, promotions give no salary increase, corporate culture is toxic

Cons

The CEO is the definition of greed, these guys make Wall Street look charitable. He takes so much while giving so little.

Promotions offer little-to-no(more common) increase in salary.
    Corp. Culture is non-existent and is rife with in-fighting, backstabbing, and greed.
    Employee morale is pitiful.
    Top executives engage in criminal activity forcing the Company to pay huge fines.
    Insurance is expensive.
    Salary is below market level unless you are C level then you are 'Nashville's most overpaid' several years in a row.

There's a problem when staff HATES you and the Company has a reputation in Nashville for greed, mistreatment, poor pay, and FRAUD.

I wouldn't recommend this Company to an enemy.

"Community Cares" Slogan Does Not Apply to Employees

Current Employee - IT Technical Analyst  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technical Analyst in Naples, FL

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are fantastic. Patient/customer care is foremost in their daily goals

Cons

Executive leadership appears more focused on personal bonus' and shareholder gains. Three times in 2014 FTE's have been cut to 32-hour work weeks - hourly workers taking 20% pay cuts and salaried staff forced to take vacation time. Employees are told to be thankful they have jobs, and if they are unhappy they can work elsewhere.

CHS is theoretically in the business of saving lives, show some compassion and try to help the folks you've hired to save those lives.
    I do not expect my particular heathcare facility to survive more than 6 months in their present condition.

Okay overall

Current Employee - X-ray Tech  in  Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - X-ray Tech in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Community Health Systems part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Works well with scheduling days off. Accommodating to days needed off. Uniform dress code is tolerable close to city very close coworkers

Cons

Understaffed terrible employee parking pay needs to be increased not sure if bonuses are coming

Talk to employees before major changes are made in their department

Treated like a second-class citizen because I was a contractor.

Former Employee - HRIS Analyst  in  Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - HRIS Analyst in Franklin, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The people in the department I worked in were very knowledgeable, flexible people. The department leadership team was very good at identifying employee strengths and tailoring job responsibilities to maximize the use of those strengths. I got a great education in IT management from the relationships I cultivated.

Cons

If you are a contractor, you might as well be invisible, like domestic help in 19th century aristocratic homes. All of the little benefits, such as flu shots and company holiday parties, were exclusively reserved for full-time employees only - which meant that entire departments would be excluded if the only full-time employees were the management. The business model is ineffective, and change is impossible when the hospitals tell the Corporate office what to do instead of the other way around. The C-suite also keeps a "head in the sand" approach when it comes to Information Security, Risk Management, and Project Management - when the PM has not only told you, but very obviously demonstrated that a company-wide initiative is failing because of lack of resources and the refusal to change based on this information, that demonstrates a failure of leadership at the highest levels.

If you are going to use contractors as 80% or more of your workforce, treat them the same as your full-time employees unconditionally and make them feel included. Because of the way you treat your contractors, you now have a reputation throughout the area as one of the worst companies to work for, which in turn forces you to turn to contractors to get your work done, and perpetuates the cycle.

Worked for Community Health Systems? Contribute to the Community!