Community Health Systems Reviews

282 reviews filtered by

Contract Resource - This is not a full-time review

Former Contractor - Infrastructure Engineer in Franklin, TN
    Former Contractor - Infrastructure Engineer in Franklin, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome work! If you like to work in a Hospital Environment and travel weekly to anywhere in the country at a moments notice then you will fit right in. The leeway given to the "boots on the ground" to plan and deliver projects on time is fantastic. We all work differently and collaboratively to achieve the goals of the Hospital sites without need of micro management.

Cons

Some of the FT Employees become "haters" and target contract resources for scrutiny and ultimate termination without regard to livelihood. This is sort of rare. I would say a 1/10 ration on professional vs. haters.

Also, the management of the budget does not allow for project completion or making plans for the future. Each year CHS mismanages the budget. I would love it if management would listen to people who see the waste and know what corners need cut and which ones most definitely do not!!

Advice to Management

When planning and organizing project budgets, maybe take into account that you will want to have 10% of your contract workforce as staples in your organizational chart. Use this to your advantage and plan to keep these guys/gals working year round. Plan ahead for this! Your top 10 resources are capable and do most often handle the bulk of your project workload with regard to deliverables. Most acquired resources could be replaced by "Two men and a truck"

2. Great fast growing company.

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Franklin, TN
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity in a very fast paced workflow.

Cons

Little office space to expand efforts.

3. Everything is going very well- one year in and no issues

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Community Health Systems

Pros

Respect, trust, though, kind, good

Cons

Pay could be better- wages do not change enough.

Advice to Management

Talk to line staff more.

5. Not horrible

I have been working at Community Health Systems

Pros

No lay off for full time employees

Cons

consultants are let go at drop of a hat.

CHS is a wonderful company.

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CHS is a wonderful company to work for. Great leadership. Although, at times they operate as 6 different divisions

Cons

I would suggest anyone who works at CHS take a course on how to handle the politics!!!

Advice to Management

Encourage leadership to treat everyone fairly--stop favoritism.

CHS Corporate reputation is accurate

Current Employee - Information Technology in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Access to technology. People with drive will be able work with any IT technology they are interested in picking up on their own.

Even disgruntled members of the staff are as helpful and easy to work with as they can be. Very much a culture with the teams of "we are all in this together".

Vacation policy seems to be inline or better than most places in the area.

Job security is about as high as it can be in a corporate environment. This does not apply to facilities

Cons

CHS has developed a rather poor reputation for itself in the Middle TN area. Rarely does CHS get local talent to interview due to this and the quality of potential new hires has went down sharply while I have been a member of the staff. Senior leadership has determined a fix for this is to hire and "train" junior members to replace senior staff as they get burned out and leave. No time is allocated for this training from senior staff nor is professional training approved on even a semi regular basis. Even if you do get this training its rare you can be given the time to take the training. This is leading to more stress on senior IT staff which is sending them to interview elsewhere faster than they can be replaced with junior staff and interns. Even junior members that gain enough experience/knowledge to leave are actively searching for better positions. The loss of tribal knowledge and brain drain in my time there is immense.

This company gives out service awards at two years. The reason is they would rarely give them out at all of they started at five years like most companies.

The company is struggling to budget correctly for IT investments so to combat this leadership seems to have developed the strategy that says lets not spend money on anything and hope things keep working. I know this is not sustainable long term strategy but till then it is going to be very painful for staff to continue to fight for what is needed to keep things running.

Constant reorganization of leadership, middle management, and responsibilities. Some of this comes from the same retention issues that they have with staff as managers and directors are moving on in a rather quick fashion themselves (although not at the speed of their staffs.)

Middle management fights for staffing headcount between each other similar to what you would see in the hunt for gasoline in a mad max movie.

No work life balance. If you are knowledgeable in your area expect to be called 24/7 as needed. You will be needed a lot. Projects are rarely given the time to be built with enough care to be highly stable. It doesn't help that for some reason healthcare software packages seem to be the worst implemented pieces of software on the market. Off topic but if you are a decent developer stop reading this and go start a company making healthcare software. You can be the next Bill Gates.

No work from home policy unless its on your own time. You can work as much as you want to after 5pm and on the weekends from the comfort of your own home office.

Compensation may be inline with other companies (although my feeling is that there is very serious pressure to lower incoming staff salaries) but merit raises are terrible if they happen at all.

Dress code is similar to what you would wear into an interview anywhere else. You may consider this a pro though because it makes it easy to dress for an interview and not be obvious about it.

Advice to Management

Train your staff and train yourself. Consistency is not only required in how you build IT designs but in how you manage your staff.

Look at other places and what they are trying to do in regards to keeping staff. One other local company (tractor supply company) has the motto of "its a great place to work" After watching them for a while it seems that they don't need to do a lot of hiring. I wonder how much money and time that saves them every year.

I know you are chasing the almighty dollar but don't stop maintaining what you own to do that.

Seriously worry about retention. Quantify the costs of hiring and training a staff member to be productive.

Everybody hates the ties... seriously. Losing these would be a free for you morale improvement at least among the IT staff.

Terrible company.

I worked at Community Health Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros at all for this company

Cons

Outsources jobs. Been with company for several years and once this company took over my job was eliminated.The benefits are expensive and horrible

Meh

Former Employee - Clinic Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Clinic Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Community Health Systems

Pros

Many of the staff are nice. Decent pay and pretty flexible hours. Discounts at cafeteria, gift shop, and coffee shop.

Cons

Antiquated processes that still utilizes paper to route nearly all types of correspondence for approval. Training is laughable. Disorganized.

Average Company

Current Employee - AR Specialist in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - AR Specialist in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous with holidays and family time off

Cons

Stingy with annual increase and there are no bonus

Advice to Management

Reward employees for hard work

Run and never look back

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being part of a large system

Cons

This company does not want employee feedback or suggestions for improvement. I went to my supervisor with several suggestions for process improvement. Up until that point I was considered a steller employee with great yearly evaluations - however after providing some constructive feedback I was asked to leave the company.

Advice to Management

Embrace innovation and ideas from all directions. Sometimes good employees are not replaceable.