Community Health Systems

Updated December 16, 2014
2.4

Community Health Systems Chairman, President and CEO Wayne T. Smith
Wayne T. Smith

Pros
  • Flexibility, good pay, growing company primarily by acqusition (in 9 reviews)

• One of the best things about working at CHS is the job security (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is hell bent on acquisition and maintaining their bonuses (in 12 reviews)

• Lower salary, office was very run down, high turnover because of round the clock hours and low salary (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

It pays the bills...barely

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Small community hospital. Love my co-workers. Weekends only.

Cons

Greedy, greedy, greedy administration. Keeping all the monies and giving little to no bonuses. No opportunity to move up. They offer tuition assistance but refuse to approve you for it because they think you might leave. No weekend option pay. Work everyone at the very bare minimum staff to save dollars which in turn, over works the staff there and makes them hate their jobs.

Management always finds a way to blame problems on their employees instead of trying to fix them. Isn't that what managers are supposed to do? Fix the problems that may and do arise.

ok place

Former Employee - Office in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Office in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

hours of operation are good

Cons

no room for advancement in the company

Looking for a great company? Keep looking... (Corp Employee)

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay isn't bad to start out, other than that.. not much else.

Cons

Zero loyalty to current employees, would rather high externally than internally.
    Very very rarely does anybody get a raise that one would bat an eye at.
    Not easy to move between departments and get promotions.
    If you do get a promotion to another team or dept there is an internal policy of no more than 7% raise.
    Most people leave the company for 6 months and then come back to the position they want and then they get the salary they deserve.
    If you don't work in the HQ you never see the CEO, I work in the office a stones throw away from the HQ and I've never seen him or met the man.
    When I was hired there was no knowledge transfer from the person that was in the position before me, I had to learn it all from scratch with zero help from my management.
    Health benefits are some of the worst I've seen from a company that makes nearly half a billion a year.
    I have zero doubt this company will grow and leadership will stay the same, because that's how it's setup to do. The rich get richer while the employees pay huge amounts in insurance and never get raises or promotions.

Learn to communicate with your employees better!
    The fact the CEO makes 25 million a year yet we can't get a raise or a promotion makes me sick.
    I pay almost $700 a month in insurance for my wife and son, how can that be okay?
    You've lost touch with the people that work here.

over all great experience here

I have been working at Community Health Systems

Pros

the hours I work here

Cons

the pay is low since i have a degree

Mr. CEO how can you take so much while giving everyone else so little?

I have been working at Community Health Systems

Pros

No perks, promotions give no salary increase, corporate culture is toxic

Cons

The CEO is the definition of greed, these guys make Wall Street look charitable. He takes so much while giving so little.

Promotions offer little-to-no(more common) increase in salary.
    Corp. Culture is non-existent and is rife with in-fighting, backstabbing, and greed.
    Employee morale is pitiful.
    Top executives engage in criminal activity forcing the Company to pay huge fines.
    Insurance is expensive.
    Salary is below market level unless you are C level then you are 'Nashville's most overpaid' several years in a row.

There's a problem when staff HATES you and the Company has a reputation in Nashville for greed, mistreatment, poor pay, and FRAUD.

I wouldn't recommend this Company to an enemy.

"Community Cares" Slogan Does Not Apply to Employees

Current Employee - IT Technical Analyst in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technical Analyst in Naples, FL

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are fantastic. Patient/customer care is foremost in their daily goals

Cons

Executive leadership appears more focused on personal bonus' and shareholder gains. Three times in 2014 FTE's have been cut to 32-hour work weeks - hourly workers taking 20% pay cuts and salaried staff forced to take vacation time. Employees are told to be thankful they have jobs, and if they are unhappy they can work elsewhere.

CHS is theoretically in the business of saving lives, show some compassion and try to help the folks you've hired to save those lives.
    I do not expect my particular heathcare facility to survive more than 6 months in their present condition.

Temp Admin Assistant

I have been working at Community Health Systems as a contractor

Pros

Great culture. People seem to enjoy their jobs and treat you with dignity.

Cons

Badge color is a dividing line.

A little more diversity would be great.

Great opportunity to get healthcare IT experience, not a company I wanted to stay with

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Franklin, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare IT is continuing to grow, get that experience here and you'll have other opportunities.
    Located in Franklin
    Growing company that will be a leader long term

Cons

Ties are required 4 days a week
    Many times you get pegged as a person with a limited skillset, and have no room to grow
    Old school in much of their processes and a lot of red tape for most anything needed done
    Poor performance is sometimes overlooked because of job title
    Reputation is more important than production (good and bad)

Pay attention to potential, and promote

Treated like a second-class citizen because I was a contractor.

Former Employee - HRIS Analyst in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - HRIS Analyst in Franklin, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The people in the department I worked in were very knowledgeable, flexible people. The department leadership team was very good at identifying employee strengths and tailoring job responsibilities to maximize the use of those strengths. I got a great education in IT management from the relationships I cultivated.

Cons

If you are a contractor, you might as well be invisible, like domestic help in 19th century aristocratic homes. All of the little benefits, such as flu shots and company holiday parties, were exclusively reserved for full-time employees only - which meant that entire departments would be excluded if the only full-time employees were the management. The business model is ineffective, and change is impossible when the hospitals tell the Corporate office what to do instead of the other way around. The C-suite also keeps a "head in the sand" approach when it comes to Information Security, Risk Management, and Project Management - when the PM has not only told you, but very obviously demonstrated that a company-wide initiative is failing because of lack of resources and the refusal to change based on this information, that demonstrates a failure of leadership at the highest levels.

If you are going to use contractors as 80% or more of your workforce, treat them the same as your full-time employees unconditionally and make them feel included. Because of the way you treat your contractors, you now have a reputation throughout the area as one of the worst companies to work for, which in turn forces you to turn to contractors to get your work done, and perpetuates the cycle.

Greedy, Dishonest executive team. Constant infighting.

Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get access to a poor, cheap, and pitiful health care plan.

Cons

Unprofessional and dishonest management which promotes fraud under the guise of a suite and team.
    Obscene levels of executive compensation when the rank and file can barely get a 1% raise.
    Company Culture that rewards blaming other people and departments.
    Nepotism.

Office environment is toxic, unhappy, and reminds me of study hall. No talk, no smiling, just sit down.

Develop a company culture where people know each other.
    You guys are downright greedy (CEO especially) when you expect the employees to be happy for MAYBE a 1% raise.
    Stupid dress code. You just paid a $100m fine for fraud and a tie means you're professional? Criminal maybe.

Loosen up, the corporate office resembles a prison just worse.