Community Healthcare System

www.comhs.org

Community Healthcare System Reviews

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014

Community Healthcare System President, CEO, & Vice Chairman of the Board Donald S. Powers
Donald S. Powers

Responsible for personnel file maintenance, typing meeting minutes, policies, forms, letters, and ordering supplies.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, Lab Director was very down to earth and easy to talk to about anything in the department. Great teamwork demonstrated within the department, and performance reviews were given yearly. Enjoyed being billing coordinator back-up, learning new skills and assisting where ever needed within the department. Left company because I moved from Indiana to Arizona.

Cons

Setting up for potlucks was difficult as we had to take all food brought for the potluck to the Cafeteria Conference Rooms, which were two floors down from our department. We didn't have appropriate carts to carry all of the food at once and tables had to be set up in the Conference Rooms.

Your doing a great job in managing the Laboratory, enjoyed working with everyone in Lab Management. I have the highest respect for the company and the training and experience given to all employees.

Things are not always as they appear

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment, safe area to travel to. Hospital seems to have been growing since it opened. Top notch health care with excellent physicians. Lovely decor with nice cafeteria for visitors.

Cons

For all that is expected of employees the pay is low. Not enough employees to cover load. Benefits being taken away and/or cut back. It's more about money now not as much about patient care. It's all about putting on a "show" for patients. Most employees are unhappy and encouraged to throw each other or other departments under the bus, and management could care less and as I stated they encourage their employees to complain and tell on each other. Their attitude is if you don't like it leave there are hundreds that want your job , (but they don't realize once they see and figure things out they will leave too). Not only that they don't seem to care about the undue stress they put on employees working short and training and starting all over when the next one quits or gets axed a short time later, employee turnover is high. Communication from all levels of management terrible. Raises go from 0-2% based on their perception of your performance that they couldn't do if they had to. Raises don't even cover insurance increases let alone cost of living. Very strict attendance and tardy policies.
    Very closely micro managed and if the manager feels you are making what they feel would not have been the action they would have taken you stand a chance of getting written up and 3 a year results in termination. Many times a supervisor talking to an employee about something would be sufficient and does not merit a write up. I have seen several write ups over trivial issues that should not have been escalated to that level of action.

Employee moral is the lowest I have ever seen it. Many departments are divided and not a unified team. Listen to your people and try to help them and not act like you listen. Many managers and directors are writing people up for petty things and speak harshly to their staff and not caring for their well being. Every time I have asked for assistance management has reviewed my work and found something to get me in trouble on and not helping. STOP the Micromanagement!

Think twice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good employees, decent insurance, bus service from parking lot, good doctors on staff, updating and expanding building finally. Cafeteria now offers healthier choices. Offers many types of services.

Cons

For all that is expected of employees the pay is low. Not enough employees to cover load. Benefits being taken away or cut back. It's more about money now not as much about patient care. It's all about putting on a "show" for patients. Most employees unhappy and management could care less. Their attitude is if you don't like it leave there are hundreds that want your job , (but they don't realize once they see and figure things out they will leave too) Employee turnover is high. Communication from all levels of management terrible. Raises go from 0-2%. Raises don't even cover insurance increases let alone cost of living. Very strict attendance and tardy policies.

Listen to employees. Need to work on employee retention. Too many good employees leave not so much because of job duties but because of management attitudes from supervisors to the top. Management needs to realize happy employees makes the organization better and patient satisfaction better. Value your employees. Pay a decent wage.

Radiology Aide

Former Employee - Radiology Aide in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Radiology Aide in Munster, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the people I worked were really good and were team-oriented. The afternoon shift would get you out of work by 8:30.
    Community hospital is a great place to work.

Cons

Very little flexibility in all aspects. Management treats everyone as if they are disposable, techs, aides, etc. I worked in three different departments at this hospital, and this one was by far the worst. It was such a disappointment after having great experiences in other departments.

Treat people the way you want to be treated. It's that simple.

Not all its cracked up to be. There are better jobs out there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Met some good people along the way, made some good connections...

Cons

There is no attempt whatsoever to invest in employees. I worked there for 10 years and was sent to training 2 times. Management does not care at all. PERIOD. I unwillingly "took" a promotion where I was given twice the responsibility with no raise in pay. Management rewards high performers with more work and rude treatment instead of a raise in pay or a compliment. The insolent employees are not reprimanded; they are ignored and left to continue being useless. This places a greater burden on the high performer (this has gone on for years). Employees are lied to on a daily basis. Many managers act unreasonable. I met people from every single department in all 3 hospitals that were completely miserable because of the job.

Employees are not treated with respect at all. There is a lot of "in fighting" between departments as well as different sects of departments. The upper crust management really treats the rest of staff like garbage. I used to have to attend the "management rah rah rally meetings" and its pretty cut-throat. There is constant, high rate of turn over..management knows this and doesn't care. HR is only there to protect the interests of the organization. When people leave or are fired, there is no sense of urgency in rehiring. Instead they place the extra work on the rest of the "team" to see if it can be handled or not. It usually takes anywhere from 4-9 months to rehire. Some departments were great with patient care..some other departments not so much. Anyone that works or has worked there can attest to all of this. This job made me hate myself at times because I continually put up with it. I feel much better now that I'm gone from this miserable place.

Your staff hates you. I know you don't care...Stop hiding behind the beard of "NOT FOR PROFIT". you make money hand over fist.

Dedicated healthcare system that truly cares

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in East Chicago, IN

Pros

Patient oriented system that can help your nursing career grow.

Cons

Very busy system. Can stretch staff thin.

Help out when you can

Liked working with the elderly residents

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

residents made the job worth going to.

Cons

no respect from supervisors, high insurance premiums, below average pay

please send your supervisors to sensitivity training so they can learn how to respect their employees and make them want to work there.

Challenging times ahead

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

CHS is a great system with employees that really care about their job and the success of the company.

Cons

Political decision making overrides good business sense. The system has not yet achieved an attitude of a system after over 10 years.

Support employees more. Work on better ideas to meet targets so cuts don't have to be made to pay and benefits.

Terrible Place for IT Career but Acceptable Job I Suppose

Former Employee - IT Person in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - IT Person in Munster, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of tech to play with, you'll likely learn a lot here. It's close to home for anyone living in NWI. They're constantly growing, so you'll constantly be working.

Cons

IT management doesn't care about you as a person. Organization management doesn't care about IT as a department. HR doesn't care about employees, they only care about protecting the company interests. They are horribly understaffed (which is why you'll get to learn a lot. No choice) and you will be donating plenty of personal time without compensation (hourly workers do get overtime but salaried people are indentured servants). The insurance is terrible if you are ever off network (and you're only on network if you're at one of the 3 hospitals or associated clinics).

Quit taking advantage of your staff. There are better places to work and you're likely going to keep losing staff unless you start treating people better. AIDET was a great idea, you should try using it internally to make staff feel less like a bag of trash. You ask people all the time "Who thinks this is a job?" just to see who plays into your attempt to claim there are careers. Once you're doing a job your stuck doing it without chance for a promotion. The only path to a carrer here is if you allow yourself to get trampled on and taken advantage of OR if you become a useless analyst.

Good hospital, great employees, managers suck

Current Employee - Patient Access in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Patient Access in Munster, IN

I have been working at Community Healthcare System

Pros

Good hospital, friendly co-workers and employees, decent health insurance.

Cons

Very poor raises; Management screws employees over quite often; penalized with point system for sick days; work conditions not always ideal; some departments better than others; high turnover in certain departments; poor employee morale'; management not to be trusted; xpensive cafeteria food;

Listen to employees concerns; communicate more with employees, dont try to screw over employees; pay employees a decent wage; provide more or better benefits to keep employees happy;