Community Healthcare System

Community Healthcare System Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Community Healthcare System President, CEO, & Vice Chairman of the Board Donald S. Powers

Donald S. Powers

Dedicated healthcare system that truly cares

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
East Chicago, IN

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPatient oriented system that can help your nursing career grow.

ConsVery busy system. Can stretch staff thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out when you can

Not all its cracked up to be. There are better jobs out there

Hobart, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMet some good people along the way, made some good connections...

ConsThere is no attempt whatsoever to invest in employees. I worked there for 10 years and was sent to training 2 times. Management does not care at all. PERIOD. I unwillingly "took" a promotion where I was given twice the responsibility with no raise in pay. Management rewards high performers with more work and rude treatment instead of a raise in pay or a compliment. The insolent employees are not reprimanded; they are ignored and left to continue being useless. This places a greater burden on the high performer (this has gone on for years). Employees are lied to on a daily basis. Many managers act unreasonable. I met people from every single department in all 3 hospitals that were completely miserable because of the job.

Employees are not treated with respect at all. There is a lot of "in fighting" between departments as well as different sects of departments. The upper crust management really treats the rest of staff like garbage. I used to have to attend the "management rah rah rally meetings" and its pretty cut-throat. There is constant, high rate of turn over..management knows this and doesn't care. HR is only there to protect the interests of the organization. When people leave or are fired, there is no sense of urgency in rehiring. Instead they place the extra work on the rest of the "team" to see if it can be handled or not. It usually takes anywhere from 4-9 months to rehire. Some departments were great with patient care..some other departments not so much. Anyone that works or has worked there can attest to all of this. This job made me hate myself at times because I continually put up with it. I feel much better now that I'm gone from this miserable place.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour staff hates you. I know you don't care...Stop hiding behind the beard of "NOT FOR PROFIT". you make money hand over fist.

Liked working with the elderly residents

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time for more than a year

Prosresidents made the job worth going to.

Consno respect from supervisors, high insurance premiums, below average pay

Advice to Senior Managementplease send your supervisors to sensitivity training so they can learn how to respect their employees and make them want to work there.

Challenging times ahead

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCHS is a great system with employees that really care about their job and the success of the company.

ConsPolitical decision making overrides good business sense. The system has not yet achieved an attitude of a system after over 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport employees more. Work on better ideas to meet targets so cuts don't have to be made to pay and benefits.

Terrible Place for IT Career but Acceptable Job I Suppose

IT Person (Former Employee)

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of tech to play with, you'll likely learn a lot here. It's close to home for anyone living in NWI. They're constantly growing, so you'll constantly be working.

ConsIT management doesn't care about you as a person. Organization management doesn't care about IT as a department. HR doesn't care about employees, they only care about protecting the company interests. They are horribly understaffed (which is why you'll get to learn a lot. No choice) and you will be donating plenty of personal time without compensation (hourly workers do get overtime but salaried people are indentured servants). The insurance is terrible if you are ever off network (and you're only on network if you're at one of the 3 hospitals or associated clinics).

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit taking advantage of your staff. There are better places to work and you're likely going to keep losing staff unless you start treating people better. AIDET was a great idea, you should try using it internally to make staff feel less like a bag of trash. You ask people all the time "Who thinks this is a job?" just to see who plays into your attempt to claim there are careers. Once you're doing a job your stuck doing it without chance for a promotion. The only path to a carrer here is if you allow yourself to get trampled on and taken advantage of OR if you become a useless analyst.

Good hospital, great employees, managers suck

Patient Access (Current Employee)

I have been working at Community Healthcare System

ProsGood hospital, friendly co-workers and employees, decent health insurance.

ConsVery poor raises; Management screws employees over quite often; penalized with point system for sick days; work conditions not always ideal; some departments better than others; high turnover in certain departments; poor employee morale'; management not to be trusted; xpensive cafeteria food;

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees concerns; communicate more with employees, dont try to screw over employees; pay employees a decent wage; provide more or better benefits to keep employees happy;

Not as great as they thing they are

I have been working at Community Healthcare System

ProsWell known name Good people work there

ConsMgt of some depts is very poor Pay is poor and no incentive to make more since raises are per a scale and have nothing to do with ability

Advice to Senior ManagementSurvey employees to see how they feel about topics Allow employees to review immediate boss(es) when it is time for their review

Caring Not really

Office (Current Employee)

I have been working at Community Healthcare System

ProsInsurance,pension plan,other non management employees nice

ConsDoes not write off emloyee balances and sends to collections,management teams speaks down yo employees and says things not nice,work weekends and holdays,no concern for employee life away from hospital,all about money instead of patients

Advice to Senior ManagementSurvey employees to find out complaints and do something about them

Respiratory Therapist

Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Community Healthcare System

ProsClose to home, salary is reasonable.

ConsPoor insurance, poor management. (no communication with employees), no yearly bonuses, staff is disrespectful and child like. Heavy in Politics. Just all around poor rapport in this facility.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease communicate with your employees, it brings a better environment to the workplace.

Very open and warm environment to practice your profession.

I worked at Community Healthcare System

ProsReason #1: Warm and open environment.
Reason #2: Patient, understanding managers.
Reason #3: Good communication from administration to all staff.

ConsDownside #1: Acuity of patients is not as high as some other places if you are looking for high acuity experiences.
Downside #2: Doesn't have a clinical ladder for positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be a great idea to contemplate the implementation of a New Grad RN Residency program to aid new nurses with the transition from student to nurse.

Worked for Community Healthcare System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Community Healthcare System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Community Healthcare System CEO Donald S. Powers. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Community Healthcare System employees.