Community Healthcare System Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Community Healthcare System President, CEO, & Vice Chairman of the Board Donald S. Powers
Donald S. Powers

1. Intern Web Developer

Former Employee - IT Person in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - IT Person in East Chicago, IN

Pros

Because of very Respectful and Disciplined Company , I have really made my career started .

Cons

No, not at all , there was no downsides while working because there's very skilled staff available to help their juniors .

Advice to Management

Help juniors as did of mine.

2. Meh

Pros

Not many pro's- close to home,

Cons

too many to list. low pay, boring office environment, short lunch break

Advice to Management

listen to employees

3. Registration rep

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, IN

Pros

Awesome environment, i love the patients

Cons

Not enough pay No room for advancement

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Business/Administrative
    Current Employee - Business/Administrative

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time

Pros

Great culture, hospital leadership and senior management team, care about both patients and employees, open door policy and managers who listen to employees, good PTO and flexibility, great co-workers, good opportunities for advancement although can be a bit political, interesting and diverse work

Cons

Health insurance and retirement benefits could be better, salaried employees may work more or less OT depending on department and circumstances

Advice to Management

Recognize employees' value to the company based on their individual contributions rather than seniority or experience/education level

Colleagues? - Great. Care? - Renowned. Administration? - Ruthless.

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can take great pride in working for a healthcare system that is widely recognized for providing excellent care. In addition, you will find the people with whom you work are dedicated and caring individuals who enjoy working together.

Cons

The directors and administration care about the bottom line, and only the bottom line. The level of care for which the system is renowned is only of importance in how much revenue is gained. Appreciation for the staff is entirely lacking. One is made to feel like a cog in the machinery.

Responsible for personnel file maintenance, typing meeting minutes, policies, forms, letters, and ordering supplies.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, Lab Director was very down to earth and easy to talk to about anything in the department. Great teamwork demonstrated within the department, and performance reviews were given yearly. Enjoyed being billing coordinator back-up, learning new skills and assisting where ever needed within the department. Left company because I moved from Indiana to Arizona.

Cons

Setting up for potlucks was difficult as we had to take all food brought for the potluck to the Cafeteria Conference Rooms, which were two floors down from our department. We didn't have appropriate carts to carry all of the food at once and tables had to be set up in the Conference Rooms.

Advice to Management

Your doing a great job in managing the Laboratory, enjoyed working with everyone in Lab Management. I have the highest respect for the company and the training and experience given to all employees.

8. Things are not always as they appear

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment, safe area to travel to. Hospital seems to have been growing since it opened. Top notch health care with excellent physicians. Lovely decor with nice cafeteria for visitors.

Cons

For all that is expected of employees the pay is low. Not enough employees to cover load. Benefits being taken away and/or cut back. It's more about money now not as much about patient care. It's all about putting on a "show" for patients. Most employees are unhappy and encouraged to throw each other or other departments under the bus, and management could care less and as I stated they encourage their employees to complain and tell on each other. Their attitude is if you don't like it leave there are hundreds that want your job , (but they don't realize once they see and figure things out they will leave too). Not only that they don't seem to care about the undue stress they put on employees working short and training and starting all over when the next one quits or gets axed a short time later, employee turnover is high. Communication from all levels of management terrible. Raises go from 0-2% based on their perception of your performance that they couldn't do if they had to. Raises don't even cover insurance increases let alone cost of living. Very strict attendance and tardy policies. Very closely micro managed and if the manager feels you are making what they feel would not have been the action they would have taken you stand a chance of getting written up and 3 a year results in termination. Many times a supervisor talking to an employee about something would be sufficient and does not merit a write up. I have seen several write ups over trivial issues that should not have been escalated to that level of action.

Advice to Management

Employee moral is the lowest I have ever seen it. Many departments are divided and not a unified team. Listen to your people and try to help them and not act like you listen. Many managers and directors are writing people up for petty things and speak harshly to their staff and not caring for their well being. Every time I have asked for assistance management has reviewed my work and found something to get me in trouble on and not helping. STOP the Micromanagement!

Think twice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good employees, decent insurance, bus service from parking lot, good doctors on staff, updating and expanding building finally. Cafeteria now offers healthier choices. Offers many types of services.

Cons

For all that is expected of employees the pay is low. Not enough employees to cover load. Benefits being taken away or cut back. It's more about money now not as much about patient care. It's all about putting on a "show" for patients. Most employees unhappy and management could care less. Their attitude is if you don't like it leave there are hundreds that want your job , (but they don't realize once they see and figure things out they will leave too) Employee turnover is high. Communication from all levels of management terrible. Raises go from 0-2%. Raises don't even cover insurance increases let alone cost of living. Very strict attendance and tardy policies.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Need to work on employee retention. Too many good employees leave not so much because of job duties but because of management attitudes from supervisors to the top. Management needs to realize happy employees makes the organization better and patient satisfaction better. Value your employees. Pay a decent wage.

10. Radiology Aide

Former Employee - Radiology Aide in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Radiology Aide in Munster, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people I worked were really good and were team-oriented. The afternoon shift would get you out of work by 8:30. Community hospital is a great place to work.

Cons

Very little flexibility in all aspects. Management treats everyone as if they are disposable, techs, aides, etc. I worked in three different departments at this hospital, and this one was by far the worst. It was such a disappointment after having great experiences in other departments.

Advice to Management

Treat people the way you want to be treated. It's that simple.

11. Not all its cracked up to be. There are better jobs out there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Met some good people along the way, made some good connections...

Cons

There is no attempt whatsoever to invest in employees. I worked there for 10 years and was sent to training 2 times. Management does not care at all. PERIOD. I unwillingly "took" a promotion where I was given twice the responsibility with no raise in pay. Management rewards high performers with more work and rude treatment instead of a raise in pay or a compliment. The insolent employees are not reprimanded; they are ignored and left to continue being useless. This places a greater burden on the high performer (this has gone on for years). Employees are lied to on a daily basis. Many managers act unreasonable. I met people from every single department in all 3 hospitals that were completely miserable because of the job. Employees are not treated with respect at all. There is a lot of "in fighting" between departments as well as different sects of departments. The upper crust management really treats the rest of staff like garbage. I used to have to attend the "management rah rah rally meetings" and its pretty cut-throat. There is constant, high rate of turn over..management knows this and doesn't care. HR is only there to protect the interests of the organization. When people leave or are fired, there is no sense of urgency in rehiring. Instead they place the extra work on the rest of the "team" to see if it can be handled or not. It usually takes anywhere from 4-9 months to rehire. Some departments were great with patient care..some other departments not so much. Anyone that works or has worked there can attest to all of this. This job made me hate myself at times because I continually put up with it. I feel much better now that I'm gone from this miserable place.

Advice to Management

Your staff hates you. I know you don't care...Stop hiding behind the beard of "NOT FOR PROFIT". you make money hand over fist.

RSS Feed </> Embed