Community Services Group, Inc.
www.csgonline.org Mountville, PA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Community Services Group, Inc. Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Susan C Blue

Working with the clients is the most rewarding

Assistant Program Director (Current Employee)

ProsEmployees are friendly and care about each other. The clients are fun to work with. There is never a dull moment.

ConsLow pay and high turn over

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay especially for management positions in order to attract long term quality employees.

Core Values? what are they?

MHDSS (Former Employee)
    Columbia, PA

ProsEnjoyed working with the residents.

ConsSupervisors will fire you if they don't like you. Was terminated after nearly ten years along with four others for no "real" reason. Supervisors make fun of the residents along with other staff. It's disgusting! HR is worthless! All in all the place is one huge unethical mess!

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up! For real! I would suggest you take your jobs more seriously. Susan Blue...WAKE UP! Open your eyes as to how your residents (you know those individuals who pay to keep your company running) are being treated. Your clients are treated like one big joke. You receive all this positive reconition but reality is you continue to allow your clients and employees to be treated with total disrespect which is why Alot of your employees lack respect for your supervisors and yourself.

Lots of Dissatisfaction

DSP (Current Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

ProsWorking with the residents and PTO are two of the few good things about working here. The residents are the best. It's a good feeling to know that you are making a difference in someones life. And that they are glad to see you. Like any other place you have good coworkers and bad ones. It is a very good place to work if you have children at home.

ConsThe management is clueless and uncaring. They have little to no interest in hearing concerns. They tend to treat everyone below them like they are dumb. Upper management lies to DSPs like there is no tomorrow, they think we don't know. Lower management gets as little done as possible with as little effort as possible. CSG is a for profit agency which is likely why the food budget is now down to $25 a week perperson. As long as nobody dies or no parents complain, it doesn't matter. The residents get things they need at the convenience of the supervisor, not when they need it. There are different rules for different people. Some can have any PTO, some can't. Some staff can do almost no work and keep there job. Others work their buts off and get yelled at. It all depends on who you know and who likes you. Some houses are run very well, and people get the care they need, but others are slipshod and mismanaged, no food, no bath products, medical appointments put off, safety hazards, no respect. There is no accountability for management , they stick up for each other.There is no way to air concerns. There is supposed to be a policy that prevents retaliation but everybody knows it is uninforceable. All the supervisor who is complained about needs to do is say you are insubordinate, don't do your work, argue with other staff, whatever, and out you go. It doesn't matter if it is false. Some supervisors expect the staff to do supervisor work. They seem to change the way things are done and get a new 'plan' about every 6 months. The biggest problem is that upper management not only tolerates this but encourages it by not acting. Their business outlook is still ok because to listen to them talk and read the website, they are the best place to put a family member and everything is just great.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the DSPs. We know what is going on, we are not as stupid as you seem to think, we can see a conjob coming. Go to staff meetings. Or better, have a staff meeting with just the DSPs. Listen to what they have to say and make sure nobody who talks gets fired 2 weeks later. Respect us. Respect the residents and their lives. Keep employees accountable. Hire people that actually care.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A very disappointing work experience in residential group home.

Direct Care Professional (Current Employee)
    Williamsport, PA

ProsThe individuals were delightful to work for.

ConsStaff attitudes and conduct very concerning, not to mention unethical, immoral, and unprofessional conduct towards fellow employees. Violent atmosphere, constant changes in policies without regard towards staff. Benefits changing often, supply shortages, unsafe transportation. Supervisors unable to deal with communication conflicts nor staff scheduling issues. Very unsafe work environment due to wages and staff dissatisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise wages to attract professional, moral, and ethical staff. Prescreen employees carefully to avoid possible client abuse. Act responsibly to resolve employee conflicts fairly and effectively. Provide training to allow for growth within the company. Offer employees the opportunity to transfer within the company or adjust shifts to accommodate their family life to avoid staff conflicts.

Short lived, but a valuable experience.

Direct Care Professional (Former Employee)
    Watsontown, PA

ProsProviding care for individuals who can't care for themselves is a rewarding experience. It's a great job for someone who has kids, or wants to have kids, because it provides valuable training and preparation for taking care of those who can't care for themselves.

ConsDuring my time there, the current supervisor didn't have the experience as a direct care professional, so he didn't understand the work required of us. He no longer works there, but neither do I so I don't know what's changed since he left.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, and if employees make mistakes, look to correct them with guidance, not penalties.

Great company to work for if you love the social service field

Direct Support Professional (Current Employee)
    York, PA

ProsPlenty of hours available to work.

ConsPay could be better for the things you have to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring recovering drug and alcohol addicts.

Very poor experience, would never recommend to anyone, ever!!!!

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee)
    Watsontown, PA

ProsPay is not bad. Enjoyed the clients. Thought some of the co- workers were nice to have on staff, assisted each other as a team .

ConsPoor management, negative environment, too long of hours with no brake time. Unfair work atmosphere. People alway out to get each other in trouble. Boss very unreasonable!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to make treat staff. A happy staff is a healthy and happy work environment!!!!
    Take more time to hear others and their opinons.

I would never go back.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

ProsMany of the employees are great people. They want to help others and they are dedicated to that.

ConsVery low compensation. Benefits were horrible, you couldn;t add any dependents to your vision or dental plans. They required employees to use thier PTO on holidays-they didn't give holiday pay. Always reorganizing, they have probably reorganized 3 times in the past 3 years. Promotions and advancement are based on who you know and who you're friends with. Training is also very unorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing things every 3-6 months. That's not enough time to make changes.

Community Services Group does not show value to staff and does not tell the truth to its employees.

Assistant Program Director (Former Employee)
    Mountville, PA

Prosthe individuals you care for.

Consmanagement has no respect for their employees; management has double standards; places litle or no value on their employees and much disregard for the individuals in their care.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to value your employees, learn how to give value to your employees, and LEARN HOW TO TELL THE TRUTH to your employees, be consistent with policies and procedures and the implementation thereof, treat all employees as you treat all employees.

This company could be oh so much more

ProsThe clients we provide servies to. To watch them grow and develop is a sight to behold. I have had several clients come through my home, and know many others, they are true jewels, and deserve better than the garbage this company is putting them through.

ConsCSg is a for profit company. For Susan Blue's profit. She is beholden to the almighty dollar. If the state new how this company is run at the residental levels, they would shutter the whole company. Clients in homes are now alloted 36.00 per week for food. How can you feed a client 21 meals a week on that? They hire some of the most incompetent people I have ever seen. Our program director is useless. She offers no leadership or guidence to her APD's who then cannot lead the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe biggest thing that could be done is turn the company from for profit, to a non-profit one. This would show a commitment to the clients and people we provide services for. Ms. Blue needs to divest herself from this company, and prove that when she looks at a client she sees something else besides dollar signs. Form a committee of former and current employees to overhaul the company. Be more fair in compensation for employees, esp. middle management. Be fair in all practices.

Worked for Community Services Group, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Community Services Group, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Community Services Group, Inc. CEO Susan C Blue. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Community Services Group, Inc. employees.