Community Tax

Updated January 27, 2015
4.0

Nick Charveron

If you like a Fast Paced, Growing Entrepreneurial firm... This is it

I have been working at Community Tax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast Pace... Lots of Energy
    The firm is focused on delivering World Class service to clients at affordable costs
    Coworker dynamics are great and teams work well together
    Founders/Partners are very active in the business and accessible
    Challenging work
    Fast Changing, Entrepreneurial firm where effort and performance will be rewarded by recognition and being part of the growth that is occurring
    I have been here just under a year and believe that this company is positioned for growth. Management invites improvement, listens to input and recommendations and looks for opportunities to recognize performance
    For Sales people.. there is the opportunity to make phenomenal money while making a significantly positive impact on people's lives

Cons

Entrepreneurial firms tend to be hectic, fast changing and challenging.
    Performance driven environments can be stressful
    If you do not operate will in either of the environments described in the previous two lines it may not be for you

Not Terrible Entry Level Job

Former Employee - Legal in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Legal in Chicago, IL

I worked at Community Tax (less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot and work hard on a variety of tax issues.

Cons

Low pay and benefits. Long hours and little incentive besides holding onto your job to perform well.

Love my job

I have been working at Community Tax

Pros

I have been working for this company for a little over half a year and I absolutely love working here. Since day 1 I have been learning about different areas of the company. What I like the most is that most people are crossed trained on different areas and the day won't fall apart when someone didn't make it in for the day. I like the people I work with and I know I have a long stay in this company due to opportunities offered. You pretty much get what out of the job what you put in.

Cons

Aside from having an hour commute since we are located down town, I have nothing to complain about.

More comradery within departments.

Good company if you are a hard worker

I worked at Community Tax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people. My co-workers were friendly, caring, and always willing to help each other. Management was very accessible and I was treated fairly. I enjoyed working in an environment where modern tools were embraced rather than clinging to paper. Management dealt with problem employees rather than promoting them, as happens in some other companies. Benefits were decent and paid overtime was allowed during busy times. If you love the work, are willing to work hard, and are computer-savvy, you can do well at the company.

Cons

The majority of clients were difficult to deal with, but the company still expects you to produce. There seemed to be finger-pointing between departments. I felt that my skills were underutilized, which may have been because I was there less than a year. Training was minimal. I did not observe much in the way of promotion from within. It appeared that the company would rather hire a new unproven employee for a higher position than promote people who have been there and who have proven themselves. While these are cons, for a lot of people, they are not enough to deter you from working there.

Be open to improvements. Sometimes the people closest to the work can't see problems that affect others. As a company grows, you may need to change your processes. Strive to make the best possible use of your resources.

Awesome learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Community Tax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company works to help you succeed. If you show up every day and are ready to do the work you will be successful there. It isn't a job for someone who doesn't like a challenge. I worked with the company for around 6 months and learned more there than I can remember learning in 4 years of college. The people you work with are great and the management team is totally on-board with helping you out if you're not afraid to ask questions.

Cons

given the type of business, some of the clients can be difficult

Front office back office fun time fusion. Maybe like a company outing?

Great People, Good Staff

Current Employee - Tax Preparer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Community Tax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about CT is it's people. The whole company tries to work as a team and keeps the office politics to a minimum. One does get the feeling that everyone is there to help everyone else do the best job possible; often under very trying circumstances. Management does a good job of communicating and teaching what they want done, then letting everyone go do their job. That's a recipe for a good working environment.

Cons

Challenges include many deadline pressures and the fact that everyone is working limited detail. Because of the nature of the clients, it is often hard to all the information necessary to complete a project in a short period of time. Also because of the nature of the business, internet and telephone access is very limited. Compensation tends to be below industry average

Great Company

I have been working at Community Tax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company and good people to work with. The company has a lot of professionals and you will learn a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

The is a whole lot of room to professionally grow.

Great job.

Great job experience and development

Current Employee - Tax Practitioner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Practitioner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Community Tax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great job experience and development

Cons

Job can be challenging, but rewarding.

It's a great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Community Tax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can be successful if you want to be, it's up to you. It's a sales job, so it's what you make of it. They provide the tools and it's up to you to use them. The company makes it fun and competitive. The owners are nice. The new downtown office is nice and conveniently located. I enjoy working here.

Cons

They expect you to do your job and work hard but what company does not expect that. I really would not want to work for a company that did not expect their employees to work.

Great opportunity and fantastic people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Community Tax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people who work in this company are fantastic. They are professional but they also know how to have fun. I have never worked with such an amazing group of individuals. The atmosphere is also almost family like. It's a big company, but we work together in addition to socializing. Management will listen to suggestions from the employees. Employees are allowed to make substantial contributions to the company's policies and procedures. And hard work and loyalty are rewarded.

Cons

The company is growing very fast and so change can be challenging. But those that rise to the challenges are rewarded. So really, this is not a con.

Continue your open door policy and continue to reward employees that contribute to your growth.

Community Tax Photos