CompUSA

Be The First To
Add Photos

CompUSA President Richard Leeds

Richard Leeds

Pros:
  • "most of those good people ventured to hhgregg or different industries altogether"
    in 4 reviews
  • "good pay and consistant hours working"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Typical High Pressure Sales Environment"
    in 3 reviews
  • "They wanted me to work for less pay for the same job"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Right hand meet left hand

General Manager (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at CompUSA full-time for more than a year

ProsDuring the time I worked there they had some good people at store level and at Corporate support level (HR, Buyers, etc) but I think Tiger Direct took on more than it can handle in attempt to get into retail stores without a lot of experience. See Cons for more details

ConsFrom the (Former) CEO down to VP's, DM's the mgmt style was manager by threats and fear. Over working salaried managers to the extent of 80plus hours a week. Very little praise, positive recognition nor raises. Then they bring in a former Circuit City Business Manager of New Concept as a VP for Business Development. She ends up bring in a ton of old CC managers to slowly replace store managers. I was one of the last to go out (left on my own did not get fired) in S Fla as I actually ran a good store with solid results that to this day havent seen again but since it was way more about politics than performance. Since then all the CC managers (that were hand picked by old CC VP) has been fired or quit before getting fired for varies performance issues

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst hire the right people (recruit people currently employed not every reject that is applying cause they are out of work in retail. If they are not working in retail anymore there is a good reason they suck! The good ones are still working, get a plan and follow a process (many times they expect results in days, panic when it doesnt happen then hit reset and try something new without giving it sufficient time to work) Also stop making store employees and manager work like slaves, stop managing by fear some kindness and recognition goes a long way. People tend to leave companies more for managers than the actually job. I love my job despite the long hours and other BS cause I liked what I did. I left cause of upper mgmt and their lack of leadership/direction and seemed as no advancement opportunity . Which still goes on to this day (I still know people who work at the store level)

ehh another

Sales (Former Employee)
Tacoma, WA

I worked at CompUSA full-time for less than a year

Prosgood pay and consistant hours working. not bad just another job though. fired me tho because i was late twice and i called in before hand and let them know my car had a flat.

Conslong hours, stupid manager, like i said before fired me over a stupid reason. didnt really like it here anways. managers say one thing and do another thing.

B2B Account Manager

B2B Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at CompUSA full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Networking w/ public in IT, real estate and other positions.

ConsPay scale is less than desirable.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider Pay scale

Terrible

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at CompUSA full-time for less than a year

Pros-Good pay on commissions when high season. However when low season it fluctuates and managers start firing people.

Cons-Terrible management structure
-Very unprofessional and care of the employees.
-Company always expect the employees do more for less pay or even do work for free
-The meetings at work are not paid at all even though this are mandatory meetings
-Sales Representative suffer a lot of abuse and disrespect from behalf of the managers and company in general
-Company expect you to meet goals without giving you the necessary tools to achieve it
-Most of the tools to work in the store are in bad condition which do not facilitate your job but still if not meeting the goals is your foul.
-Company takes money from the employees pays check without explanation.
-Costumers are not important and people in general is not important for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire complete new management staff that takes better care of the employees and listen more to what they say.
Take care better of the employees and less of the money. At the end of the day without the employees you can't do money.
Take care of the terrible warehouse and inventory organization.

Started out as a good position, steadily declined in the months following

Business Representative/Account Manager (Former Employee)
Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at CompUSA full-time for more than a year

ProsWhen I was hired as an Business Representative/Acct. Manager, a steady, fair system was in place. Descent base salary, excellent commission opportunities, and the management hierarchy was well laid out. The first 4-5 months were a pleasure, got on well with workmates, and most importantly, was able to bring in a very good income through commission. Also, communication with management was amiable, clear and concise...

ConsThe structure of the company began to change after 4-5 months. Changes were dramatic and made little sense for anyone. The business manager (my "boss") became frustrated and quit, other managers followed at staggered intervals. Commissions were drastically cut, earning potential decimated, a total lack of structure in management, and moral hit rock bottom. Every couple of months, there were more and more drastic changes... from pay to position titles and even a ridiculous new dress code in which we (the business department) had to buy new business attire... i.e. white dress shirts, red ties, yet dress pants weren't of any concern. Very unprofessional all the way around. The final straw was when the Store Manager promoted me to a high position, then the new Business Manager reversed his decision... after it had gone through. It was bad enough for those who were single, but I had a wife and 4 kids at home.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice... it was so terrible, I couldn't possibly imagine how they could restore a descent working place

An ok place to work for someone getting into the computer and IT field.

Sales Clerk (Former Employee)
Kendall, FL

ProsFriendly, open atmosphere.
Opportunity to make more on commission.
Knowlegable staff.
Helpful managers.
Room for growth into technician and senior sales positions.

Cons401K option is not offered.
Shift can be varifying from opening to closing.
Commissioned positions depend on the market.

Ir was a good time there during the beginning of the Internet boom

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at CompUSA

ProsThe employee discounts were at the products cost, but there were many times it took several approvals to get the price.

ConsWell, it is retail so there are late night and Sunday shifts. Inventory week was also a hassle since there were many tasks to do plus working with the hicks of the scanning crew.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe product offerings was much too wide. Does one store need 20 types of laser printers? They did make a good investiment in employee training.

OK place to work. Need to be ontop of your game and fend for yourself.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at CompUSA

ProsAbility to make a good paycheck if you know how to sell.
Fun enviroment to work in (depending on Managment)

ConsManagment only cares about Sales
Inventory is usually low, Most promotional items (especially laptops) are out of stock the whole week of the promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more for the employees than your own pocket.

Not too shabby.

Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at CompUSA

ProsDiscounts, information seminars, working with computers.

ConsLarge employee pool that doesn't interact makes it hard to know people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team building activities.

OK place to work but not enough store traffic for a commissioned sales person to meet there quotas.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Plantation, FL

I worked at CompUSA

Prosyou are commissioned sales reps so you can write your own paycheck. The overall atmosphere of the work environment is positive.

ConsThe company does not get enough traffic in the store which makes it hard to meet the store quotas and in turn make enough money. They write you up every time you don't meet your quotas so they have reason to let you go.

Worked for CompUSA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CompUSA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CompUSA CEO Richard Leeds. All 67 reviews posted anonymously by CompUSA employees.