CompUSA

CompUSA Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • most of those good people ventured to hhgregg or different industries altogether(in 4 reviews)

• Fun Enviroment, Usually good co-workers(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Typical High Pressure Sales Environment(in 3 reviews)

• Company always expect the employees do more for less pay or even do work for free(in 3 reviews)

Mostly good co-workers, horrible corporate management.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Towson, MD

ProsMost of my co-workers were great, and management at the store level was mostly supportive and well-informed. Medical benefits were decent, the few holidays we got off (hey, it was retail!) were paid, and - surprisingly, since computers have tended to be a male-dominated field - women were treated decently.

ConsWorking at the customer service desk is one of the most difficult and demanding jobs in retail, especially since at CompUSA it involves being part of the service/repair department. In the 6.5 years I worked the position, I was the ONLY employee who lasted more than about 9 months at the desk; everyone else either quit or requested transfer to another department. Yet the position was paid such a low hourly wage that medical benefits were unaffordable - a large part of the reason why so few people were willing to keep doing the job. The pay structure was set by corporate policy, and was not under the control of the store manager. My manager was only able to finagle a sustainable wage for me by having me temporarily work in a different, more highly-paid position for 3 months, then transferring me back.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee my comments above regarding the pay structure for employees who do a very important and very difficult job.

A revolving door of management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun Enviroment, Usually good co-workers

ConsTerrible turn-over rate, poor pay, lousy medical/dental benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a little bit more research on hiring managers / DMs. Pay skilled workers a decent wage

Held Back by Regional Management

Technology Instructor (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsThe team I worked with was professional, knowledgeable and understood the products. We were constantly learning, and customer service was as high a priority as any where I've ever worked. Sales were consistently in the top 5% for the region. I taught classes and worked with customers directly to promote "boot-camp" instructional packages for state agencies and businesses. I really enjoyed both the classroom time and the customer contact. I was also able to study and pass the certification exams for MSOP.

ConsI watched bright, motivated individuals reduced to a time-serving automatons by a management policy that completely ignored individual productivity in favor of the bottom line for the entire region. It was pulling teeth to even get recognition for our store, never mind the sales reps and trainers who were putting us up there.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach down into the numbers once in a while and recognize an individual who performing above and beyond requirements.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

smart people, good service and benefits are great

District Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prossmart people, good service and benefits are great

ConsStores mostly closed, very sad it was a great company

Compusa

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee discounts are great, as are coworkers.

ConsBad management and training, not enough staff on the floor.

I worked at CompUSA as the company was being bought and sold to new owners.

Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGet to sell and work around technology.

ConsRetail involves meeting sales quotas.

Good place if you work hard

Cashier (Former Employee) Fairfield, OH

ProsCommission payed Ok if you had a lot of "green" hours.

ConsThe usual retail issues. Less work in the mornings on week days so all depends on the evenings and weekends. Too much concentrated on unrealistic prices for services, rather than on products.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example.

Not Good!!

ProsBusy Sales Environment
    High Income Potential
    Company does heavy advertising thru direct e-mail
    Stress free work environment
    Opportunity to transfer within other locations

ConsTypical High Pressure Sales Environment. The company forces each salesperson to sell products that are not well reviewed but highly profitable for the company.

Almost ten years, plenty of "ups", but horrible "downs", the type that make you lose confidence completely.

Management (Former Employee) Sunrise, FL

ProsDiscount of electronics were great, first dibs on open box and clearance stuff. Meet some very interesting people, nothing better than geeks with expendable income (myself included in that category) Once upon a time the company employed quality people, smart, energetic, dedicated, then it followed the ill direction of laid off circuit city employees and the whole thing went to poop..most of those good people ventured to hhgregg or different industries altogether. The original Miami CompUsa team with the new Tigerdirect name and influence would have guaranteed success, now it seems like a struggle for them...but I've been out of the game for a few years, I'm probably wrong.

ConsIt wasn't the hours, retail hours come with the package, cant complain about that. The problem was finding quality management. The people they've hired all seemed "entitled" and couldn't grasp the reality of a struggling retail environment. Completely blind to the actual cause and effect on the retail floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen your candidates better, drop the favoritism and hire people with successful experience, not just years under their belt.

private company at the time.

Sales Manager (Former Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

Prosthere are no positive statements.

Conscorp management was made up of family members and friends. They never took accountability for their poor directives and decisions.

Advice to Senior Managementsell company

Worked for CompUSA? Contribute to the Community!