Companions & Homemakers

Updated August 3, 2014

Linda J. Grigerek

Fantastic Place to Work

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers

Pros

Everyday you are making a difference in the life of a person(s). There are not very many positions where you know at the end of the day you helped a family and their loved one(s) maintain their dignity and independence at home. Often are caregivers are with a person at the end of their life -- there is nothing more personal than sharing those final moments and knowing that the caregivers who work for C&H and the care coordinators and everyone else made this possible. I personally love coming to work everyday and am grateful to work for a company that was founded by a woman 24 years ago and is still privately owned.

Cons

I wish there was less office gossip and more concentration on the fact that we with 11 offices help thousands of people everyday.

Former employee-management level

I worked at Companions & Homemakers full-time for more than a year

Pros

The goal is to provide a means for seniors to remain at home with assistance. Caregivers are hired right on the spot and provided you have good references you can immediately begin to start making a paycheck.

Cons

Unfortunately this company's employee culture is very poor. The micro-management style of the owner fractures the desire for employees to assist the elderly in their wish to remain at home with caregivers in place via C&H. Employees at every level are fearful to speak up or even take a moment to use the bathroom for fear of the cameras that are watching and the recorded phone conversations. Coordinators consistently stay until at least 6pm on a daily basis-so if overtime is your thing you might like the extra in your paycheck-but the trade off is no personal phones on the premises (even during your break) and hawk like management ensuring you don't smile or laugh with your peers too often.....as they see harmony amongst employees as a negative. It's more like a sweatshop than a team of employees.

Let go of the reigns a bit. Happy employees who are well trained will produce quality work and remain with the company longer! Smile and say hello! It would go a very long way!

Cog in a Wheel

Former Employee - Companion and Homemaker  in  Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Companion and Homemaker in Enfield, CT

I worked at Companions & Homemakers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very flexible Schedule
    Very easy to get hired
    Increase pay with number of hours you work

Cons

-You have no connection with other care givers for a customer unless you leave notes for each other.
    - No training on diabetes or what is low or high blood sugar levels or how to help it.

- Make an online portal where care givers can log what they did with the customer and make recommendations. For example, if person already went for a walk that day, next care giver would know and know why person is so tired, ext.
    - Provide training on diabetes care

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Care Coordinator

Current Employee - Care Coordinator  in  Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Farmington, CT

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are none!! The are rude and try to intimidate all office staff! Make you stay until 7:00pm and dont expect to leave on time. Your hired to work from 8:30 to 5:00 but you never leave on time. They dont a life and expect you not to also.

Cons

Really!!! This is a Horrible company to work for Employee is major here people are fired for no reasons and replaced

Get a life and stop using your QA company which the owner Linda owns against your employees who have a brain. Really bad company Major employee turn over!!

A rewarding experiment to be able to help the seniors in need !

Current Employee - Companion and Homemaker  in  Norwich, CT
    Current Employee - Companion and Homemaker in Norwich, CT

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers part-time for less than a year

Pros

To get to meet and help the seniors in need. To learn all the difficulties you will maybe soon have yourself one day. You also get to really pick your own work time and distance.

Cons

It is low pay but you new this when you accepted the job.I only wonder if you ever get a raise? All though that means your low income client has to pay more , not good!

I think management tries to do the best they can, since some help will call out at the last moment. I do think they should check out the client in person 1 time before sending someone to their home.

The most poorly run company that I've ever worked for

I worked at Companions & Homemakers

Pros

The people whom you work with are, for the most part, really good people and are there because they wanted to effect some positive change. The way that the company is managed, however, results in the completely opposite result.

Cons

Ridiculously high stress levels for all employees, as the main style of management is threatening and bullying tactics. The owner is, at the very least, bi polar and at the worst, psychotic. Her management style is to berate everyone in sight to get them to do what she wants. The employees were told in a recent meeting that the clients come first, even before your families. Yes, the clients are the reason that we're there, but not before my family! On Fridays, all of the employees breathe a sigh of relieve that they have made it through another week. Is that any way to manage a company??

Sell the business to someone who will manage it correctly. It's clearly not bringing you any joy.

Only work here if all other options are exhausted

Former Employee - Management  in  Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Management in Farmington, CT

I worked at Companions & Homemakers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Companions and Homemakers is the largest company of its type in Connecticut. They have 10 branches, cover most of the state and have name recognition to a substantial percent of the population.

Cons

Management style is micromanagement, threats and verbal abuse, capricious termination and erratic emotional outbursts. I have seen the owner span the entire emotional spectrum from tears, to belligerence, to pleading and irrationality within the span of a single 30 minute meeting. On any given day, anyone can be terminated for little or no substantive reason.

Seek professional help.

Caretaker for the elderly

Current Employee - Companion and Homemaker  in  Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Companion and Homemaker in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers part-time for more than a year

Pros

meeting people and helping those that need help

Cons

the pay should be more

Love working at home

Current Employee - Homemaker  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Homemaker in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers

Pros

Love being with my children. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Can spend time talking with them and caring for them.

Cons

Can feel isolated sometimes and it can be tiring to take care of them all day long; hubby is very helpful.

NO advice. I'm very content working from home and would recommend it to anyone and everyone I know. Thankful to be with my children.

great

Current Employee - Homemaker
    Current Employee - Homemaker

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers

Pros

I get to take care of my kids daily, stay at home, experience life with my family. It is great.

Cons

Low pay. Long hours. Little recognition. Limited short term results - results can be seen long term. No time off.

Worked for Companions & Homemakers? Contribute to the Community!