Compass Group Canada Reviews

2.7
Compass Group Canada CEO Saajid Khan
Saajid Khan

1. Second Cup Barista at The Ottawa Hospital

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Compass Group Canada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great customers and coworkers. There are periods of fast paced, busy work mixed in with slow, relaxed time periods. The customers are almost all regulars since the location is in a hospital. Customers are mainly all friendly and chatty. Plenty of break time. Unionized. Employees often became acquainted with other employees of The Ottawa Hospital which was excellent. The food and beverages are very tasty. Since this job is unionized, the pay is above minimum wage.

Cons

Management was unorganized and rude. They did not trust employees and were obvious about it. Overall, management lowered employee esteem and morale. They would threaten to not give you days off you requested if you did not work overtime. They did not respect seniority regarding hours that were assigned to employees. They would talk about former amployees to current employees in bad ways and even "gossip" about current employees to other current employees. Sub-par people skills and leadership skills. Schedule changes occured often as well as changes within 48 hours which is allowed in the collective agreement but extremely difficult to keep up with. There was limited training upon being hired and mandatory training courses were ignored. Training on how to use the cash was extremely limited but management expected you to be able to fluently use the system and know how to count cash and fill out the respective forms without ever properly explaining the system they used. Management had, at one point, prevented me from communicating with my union representative who was conatcted because members of management could not answer questions about the collective agreement. This specific Second Cup itself is owned by Compass Group Canada and they are responsible for management.

Advice to Management

Management should be more understanding that if they hire students who do not intend to make their work at Second Cup a career, that they have a life outside work and to respect their employees. They should talk to them like people and not like they are stupid. When correcting an employees behaviour, understanding, compassion, listening skills and discipline (if required) should be applied. Management should know their collective agreement with the union and follow it. Every employee should know and understand the collective agreement.

2. Low wages terrible hours.

Current Employee - First Cook
    Current Employee - First Cook

I have been working at Compass Group Canada

Pros

Free meal ... Oh wait I pay for it. U hmmm Positive ... Nothing. One coworker is kinda cool. They cut hours off your check when you show up early because they under staff locations

Cons

Horrible HR, terrible training. Bad mananent. Company refuses to deal with problematic staff members. Unfair working conditions.

Advice to Management

Nothing. Shut down and lay everyone. Give people a raise. 1 person shouldn't have to do the work of 3 . Actually do something about issues. Actually listen. Actually be fair.

3. Awsome place to work

Current Employee - Cafeteria Supervisor in Cow Head, NL (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cafeteria Supervisor in Cow Head, NL (Canada)

I have been working at Compass Group Canada

Pros

I love serving the children.I also love working alone.

Cons

I wish the pay was higher.I hate doing inventory every month

Advice to Management

Cut inventory to every 6 months.Cut out conference calls.

5. Lead Hand

I worked at Compass Group Canada part-time

Pros

- Hourly pay was not bad for a part-time university student - Good start to get experience in the sports/entertainment concession industry - Opportunity to lead a team

Cons

- Team members were fairly inexperienced and disorganized, seemed like anyone could be a cook or cashier - During important games, we would always be overloaded during crunch times - Management was slow to deliver change or ingredients

Advice to Management

- Look for better behavioural traits during interviews - Be better equipped with essential ingredients and materials during crunch times of the game

No Compassion

I worked at Compass Group Canada

Pros

They have, to no credit of their own, inherited a wonderful practical method of doing missions. there are some wonderful people working in HO. None of whom are in management. The people in the artist program are great workers and bring many children into the sponsorship program.

Cons

They need to look up the meaning of the word compassion. They have none. They will roll heads when anyone dares to disagree with them. The have wounded the spirits of godly men and women and seem so heartless.

Advice to Management

Please for the sake of the children and the dignity of the mission leave the mission if you are the CEO or one of the top five in leadership. We need new faces in HO. Comp. Canada is in trouble.

7. does not pay past 44 hours

Former Employee - Counter Help Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Counter Help Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Compass Group Canada

Pros

The staff and customers are nice.

Cons

You will work many hours past your time but will not be paid for it. I had the afternoon student quit on us and I volunteered to cover his 3 hour shift after mine was done for 2 weeks. I was not paid for any of those extra hours. I was not told this would be the case. I quit on the spot when I found out that this was normal for them. In the first month I was at the new location about 15 people walked out for the same reason.

Advice to Management

be nice to people and be HONEST. How is not paying for hours past 44 legal.

Treats their employees poorly.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager (Student Experience) in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at Compass Group Canada

Pros

Great benefits, I can't think of anything else.

Cons

High expectations with little to no guidance or delegation, inconsiderate and prejudice.

Advice to Management

Do not hire managers that are judgmental -- my supervisor didn't like the way I looked or dressed (I was working in different colleges, I dressed "business casual" every day). I was asked to change my appearance to suit her preferences and it made me extremely uncomfortable (although I said nothing and did exactly what she asked). About a week later I was let go. I was made to feel inadequate and stupid every time we spoke. Try hiring district managers that are going to be an uplifting and supportive leader to his/her employees; not degrading and damaging,

9. Constantly gaining knowledge and adventure!

Current Employee - Food Service Director/Controller in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Food Service Director/Controller in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Compass Group Canada

Pros

lot of choices where to work and around the world! great opportunities to move up the ladder can add a lot of years working in the company without leaving it.

Cons

working a lot of hours for big events

Advice to Management

taking the opportunity to get out in the units and doing behind the scenes. Sometimes working behind the scenes instead of managing you can appreciate what they do and have a different outlook!

10. Manger needs more training

Current Employee - HEALTH &SAFETY
    Current Employee - HEALTH &SAFETY

I have been working at Compass Group Canada

Pros

Our lead hand is fair and honest.Our manger has to much duties with other contracors and he should give more duties to our lead hand.

Cons

We have started group clean at our site we are only 10 people.We have 3 workers working po's areas they work alone.Two groups of two ,one group of 3.Myself and partner we work on Chemical side we clean 8 buildings in 8 hours,second group of two5 buildings,and group of 3 have 6 areas to do.our manger does not do any instive programs,he has no backgroud in cleaning,we do have the equipment we need.

11. Flexible and Friendly Management

Current Employee - Concession Supervisor in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Concession Supervisor in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Compass Group Canada

Pros

Good job if you want to supplement your income Shifts are convenient and never longer than 6 hours. Senior management is very understanding and friendly Room to try new things,improve menu and numerous promotion opportunities if you want to come in asa full time employee

Cons

Low wages, not enough hours

RSS Feed </> Embed