Compass Group Reviews

Reset
3.1
Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins
Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with many opportunities for growth and advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Great people that are passionate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Ability to attract quality hourly assoicates on current low pay scales is difficult (in 5 reviews)

• All lower to senior managers treat you like cannon fodder (in 3 reviews)

1. Food Service Worker / Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier/Food Service Worker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier/Food Service Worker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Compass Group (More than a year)

Pros

on vacation for Thanksgiving, Christmas and most of the summer .
    great co-workers
    vacation pay / sick days

Cons

ugly uniform
    favoritism
     could improve teamwork

2. Chartwells School Dining

Former Employee - Dietitian
    Former Employee - Dietitian

I worked at Compass Group full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule at times due to school breaks/schedule

Cons

The bottom line is all that matters with this company. There is no job security, no trust in upper management, no respect or support for employees or clients, no work life balance, and no level of professionalism displayed. The food service directors not meeting the unrealistic financial goals forced upon them are terminated, and job turnover is high. Chartwells employs dietitians in their school districts, and the turnover rate among them is extreme as there is no real value to the tasks performed or integrity given to the position, and these employees are shared among several districts. Professional communication among the company sector is lacking. False perception of the job and job duties is given at the time of hire.

Advice to Management

Focus on delivering quality service and food to the client while cultivating a respectful work environment for your employees rather than pinching pennies and driving talented employees away. Quality over quantity.

3. Good position once you get a grasp.

Current Employee - Chef Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Chef Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Monday through Friday ideally.

Allowed to run account without micromanagement.

Cons

Long days, tight labor costs. Average raises for hourly staff. No bonus.

Advice to Management

I have a great Director. I feel appreciated and hope others do to. No advice to mgmt, I just do my job. Appreciate the support.

5. Operation Manager

I worked at Compass Group

Pros

The company cares about the career development of each individual.

Cons

Strong in the core business but not much innovation.

6. "don

Former Employee - Corporate Hospitality & Events in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Corporate Hospitality & Events in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Compass Group

Pros

large company, meet a lot of people

Cons

I have interned with them as a chef and all they did was offer me on call event work, i did not receive proper training, i would call and ask all the time if there was any work available and they told me no but i find out they are hiring other people FULL TIME!!!!!! what is up with that??????? really upsetting to say the least. It's been so long since I have done an event (january this year) that I don't think I'm even on payroll anymore! smh

Advice to Management

the people that really want to work please consider them!! training should be mandatory and consistent. don't neglect training someone then expect them to be experts on what you really want!!!

7. RUN!

I worked at Compass Group full-time

Pros

At least you will have a 'job'. They promote diversity. Met a lot of wonderful co-workers.

Cons

Promised raises but did not deliver. Constant staff shortage caused employees to fall ill from stress and overwork. Corporate 'Communication hotline' became a running joke. Nepotism is rampant. High turn-over rate. Execs assure Corporate that 'all is well' even though resources go missing.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more hands-on and quit believing 'all is well'. Deep audit needs to take place by an unbiased source. Demotions should involve pay as well as rank--this is where money is lost. Directors' and Executives' (especially on a college campus) should hold undergrad degrees (minimum).

8. Compass Group Stifles Its Employees

Former Employee - Coordinator in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Redmond, WA

I worked at Compass Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great entry level or "starting your career" company. Depending on your job, there may be opportunities to network with other companies so you can move forward in your career.

Cons

You will most likely be undervalued, under appreciated and under paid. You'll quickly realize this and start looking for new opportunities as soon as three months in (such as myself). There aren't many opportunities for advancement, hence the high turnover rate. The environment is very "micro-managey." You will spend a a decent portion of your day/weeks dealing with busy work. Management often times isn't able to help. Frequently I had to figure things out for myself even when I asked management for help. Compass most likely loses out on business opportunities because many times my client asked for more help, promoting me, etc and management didn't take action and if they did it was too late.

Advice to Management

Empower and trust your employees. You'll be amazed at what can be accomplished if you're not hassling them about what font style their emailing with or any other minor detail. Treat employees like adults and not children and they'll respect you. Also, offer career advancement opportunities and learning opportunities to show you're genuinely interested and invested in the person, not just to check off a box on your management requirement that came down from corporate. Management needs a reality check of what else is out there and not be put into as much of a silo. Listen to your clients and if your employees are in positions where they hold the relationship with the client... let them manage that relationship (of course within reason and understand the client needs).

9. Good Advancement Opportunities; Learned a Lot

Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good PTO, learned a lot, many advancement opportunities

Cons

Lots of red tape due to size of corporation

10. Great Team, Managers and Pay!

Current Employee - Concierge/Reception
    Current Employee - Concierge/Reception

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Employee engagement
    - Great management
    - Job growth
    - Exceptional compensation
    - Great benefits
    - NO micro management
    - Clean semi corporate environment
    - Variety of opportunities

Cons

Some of the new ideas were created to make it more convenient for the clients, but in actuality what it is doing is making them more self sufficient (to an extent) and as a contractor for different buildings in different locations, eventually our purpose will no longer be needed. Just a word to the wise.

Advice to Management

Continue to conduct bi- weekly conference calls. Employees feel connected to one another considering everyone is located in different states and it also allows everyone to communicate with one another at the same time. Also, continue to allow employees to engage. It is greatly appreciated and it makes employees feel important because their voice is being heard and in return Compass will have a low turn over rate.

11. Pretty decent place to work.

I worked at Compass Group full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Nice, fun, and energetic. Pay was pretty fair given the location and I had the opportunity to interact with guests. Management was okay.

Cons

For me, it was pretty grim on advancement opportunities. Despite working hard and not having any write ups or complaints from guests, there was no place to learn any other station or job responsibility. Looked forward to learning how the company worked

RSS Feed </> Embed