Compass Group Reviews

Reset
1.0
Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins
Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with many opportunities for growth and advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Great people that are passionate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Ability to attract quality hourly assoicates on current low pay scales is difficult (in 5 reviews)

• All lower to senior managers treat you like cannon fodder (in 3 reviews)

1. A food service company attempting onsite Audio Visual support

Former Employee - Tier I AV Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Tier I AV Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Compass Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch! Decent benefits package. Lots of opportunity to move into other positions and get promoted.

Cons

A very large company. On the AV end of things, management was very incompetent, very passive, and generally speaking did not care about the health and well-being of their employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Be open minded. Think progressively. Do not accept status quo.

2. Compass a Job not a Career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Compass Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and so is the location of the business.

Cons

There is no set training when you come into the Payroll Dept. You are expected to look over the shoulder of other employees while the work for two to three weeks and you should be a pro after that. The Supervisors are not supportive and are borderline bullies. The supervisors don't help the staff and rarely even acknowledge you are in the room. There is no such things as team work and you must sink or swim all on your own. The management team condones this behavior and looks away as if they don't know it is happening. This company is very disappointing. The benefits are extremely high for this company to be as large as it is.

Advice to Management

Make sure you treat your employees with respect. The employees under management complete the work that management doesn't want to do. A happy employee will bring great results that benefits the company and the department. Don't hire people who don't know how to treat others especially in a management capacity. Great skills and horrible ethics and morals only leads to disaster.

3. CUSTOMER SERVICE

Current Employee - FOH Manager IN TRAINING in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - FOH Manager IN TRAINING in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Compass Group (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and Monday thru Friday

Cons

company don't care about you

Advice to Management

care more about your employees

5. Chartwells School Dining

Former Employee - Dietitian
    Former Employee - Dietitian

I worked at Compass Group full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule at times due to school breaks/schedule

Cons

The bottom line is all that matters with this company. There is no job security, no trust in upper management, no respect or support for employees or clients, no work life balance, and no level of professionalism displayed. The food service directors not meeting the unrealistic financial goals forced upon them are terminated, and job turnover is high. Chartwells employs dietitians in their school districts, and the turnover rate among them is extreme as there is no real value to the tasks performed or integrity given to the position, and these employees are shared among several districts. Professional communication among the company sector is lacking. False perception of the job and job duties is given at the time of hire.

Advice to Management

Focus on delivering quality service and food to the client while cultivating a respectful work environment for your employees rather than pinching pennies and driving talented employees away. Quality over quantity.

6. "don

Former Employee - Corporate Hospitality & Events in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Corporate Hospitality & Events in Charlotte, NC

Pros

large company, meet a lot of people

Cons

I have interned with them as a chef and all they did was offer me on call event work, i did not receive proper training, i would call and ask all the time if there was any work available and they told me no but i find out they are hiring other people FULL TIME!!!!!! what is up with that??????? really upsetting to say the least. It's been so long since I have done an event (january this year) that I don't think I'm even on payroll anymore! smh

Advice to Management

the people that really want to work please consider them!! training should be mandatory and consistent. don't neglect training someone then expect them to be experts on what you really want!!!

7. RUN!

I worked at Compass Group full-time

Pros

At least you will have a 'job'. They promote diversity. Met a lot of wonderful co-workers.

Cons

Promised raises but did not deliver. Constant staff shortage caused employees to fall ill from stress and overwork. Corporate 'Communication hotline' became a running joke. Nepotism is rampant. High turn-over rate. Execs assure Corporate that 'all is well' even though resources go missing.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more hands-on and quit believing 'all is well'. Deep audit needs to take place by an unbiased source. Demotions should involve pay as well as rank--this is where money is lost. Directors' and Executives' (especially on a college campus) should hold undergrad degrees (minimum).

Compass Group Stifles Its Employees

Former Employee - Coordinator in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Redmond, WA

I worked at Compass Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great entry level or "starting your career" company. Depending on your job, there may be opportunities to network with other companies so you can move forward in your career.

Cons

You will most likely be undervalued, under appreciated and under paid. You'll quickly realize this and start looking for new opportunities as soon as three months in (such as myself). There aren't many opportunities for advancement, hence the high turnover rate. The environment is very "micro-managey." You will spend a a decent portion of your day/weeks dealing with busy work. Management often times isn't able to help. Frequently I had to figure things out for myself even when I asked management for help. Compass most likely loses out on business opportunities because many times my client asked for more help, promoting me, etc and management didn't take action and if they did it was too late.

Advice to Management

Empower and trust your employees. You'll be amazed at what can be accomplished if you're not hassling them about what font style their emailing with or any other minor detail. Treat employees like adults and not children and they'll respect you. Also, offer career advancement opportunities and learning opportunities to show you're genuinely interested and invested in the person, not just to check off a box on your management requirement that came down from corporate. Management needs a reality check of what else is out there and not be put into as much of a silo. Listen to your clients and if your employees are in positions where they hold the relationship with the client... let them manage that relationship (of course within reason and understand the client needs).

9. Sous chef

I worked at Compass Group full-time

Pros

lots of training.you can go anywhere in the country with them.

Cons

Bad upper management. Never been treated so poorly buy upper management.

10. WHAT FREE FOOD!!

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Compass Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

Eurest does make us pay for our food! It would help moral and maybe give people

Cons

Eurest does make us pay for our food! It would help moral and maybe give people the idea that senior management really does care about their associates and the managers in the field.

Advice to Management

Take care of you people, take care of your customers....the bottom line will always be there!!!

11. Pros

Free meals, at least in Spain.

Cons

Everything, very slow organization afraid of changes.

Advice to Management

Without innovation you are in a terrible situation.

RSS Feed </> Embed