Compass Group

Updated December 17, 2014
3.1

Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins
Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great people that are passionate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, low pay because of being in food service industry (in 5 reviews)

• Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Compass Group

Pros

Free meals, at least in Spain.

Cons

Everything, very slow organization afraid of changes.

Without innovation you are in a terrible situation.

Poor

Former Employee - Waiter in Chatham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in Chatham, England (UK)

I worked at Compass Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management are bully's the pay is crap the job is carp and they don't give you your month in hand when you leave well they don't pay you nothing at all the take it all away from you. the management take stock to sell on the side made to work with no lunch the most worst company you could ever work for they say the make 14 billion a year but they won't freed the staff or pay them better compass / ess Medway should be looked in to by the police becouse there doing things against the law

Cons

Trying to stay alive the amont of hour they make you do and not pay you for it

You should all be locked up

Under Payed & 2 faced boss

Current Employee - Cook/Catering Assistant in Ballarat (Australia)
    Current Employee - Cook/Catering Assistant in Ballarat (Australia)

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a chef it is great to not work 70-75 a week & have a life.Very easy work

Cons

Manager that lied about my pay rate.Never pays me for the hours I do when i'm the only 1 that does the major cleaning

a very 1 sided manager that payes the woman for hours they arn't there yet wont pay a cent for hours I stay back to clean the filth from others that never clean properly..Filled in for a canteen manager for 6 weeks were I did all ordering,cooking,cleaning & menu ideas & was not payed for that rol,witch I will be chacing up back pay for..As a global company I think I think being scamed out of a few hundred dollars is discusting,aspecialy when u am beinh paid $4 an hour less than I signed a contranct for

Sweatshop work

Current Employee - Utility in Geraldton (Australia)
    Current Employee - Utility in Geraldton (Australia)

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Impossible to get fired.
    Slackers get rewarded
    The bigger bully you are the more you'll succeed and move up in the chain of command.
    One way to get into FIFO work

Cons

Not paid properly
    All lower to senior managers treat you like cannon fodder
    All managers prefer to backstab you instead of acting professional and treating your claim or problem
    Intentions are to please client only at the cost of staff
    Extreme high turn over which says alot.

Managers will always pick your clients side no matter what the argument or the story is the client will win hands down.

Managers will always get special treatment (free beer, food, frequent flyer points etc)

Managers get all the credit, managers work less hours than workers.

Needs a change in the entire system

Terrible job - mixture of a leech and slave-camp company that are present from where I come from... (Eastern Europe)

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Compass Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- great team, we helped each other to survie from one day to another
    - money on time
    - usually two days off per week
    - learned some new skills (barista)

Cons

- minimal wage: we spend many hours of private time on online courses which were ment to be paid but never were, the same was with ridiculous raise (20p per hour) which was denied from us even if all of us met the requirements for it.
    - unfair treatment: new workers got better contracts and wages than us although we still had to train them to do the job!
    - no salary while being sick, zero benefits at work: we were denied to drink or eat food from the place I worked cause the company was saving money on us - they explained it was due to the fact we were a franchise belonging to compass group / medirest and had different policy.
    - huge rotation of staff due to horrible working conditions (in the last 3 weeks I worked 6 people quit, during the half a year I worked more than 30)
    - never enough staff so a small and weaken team had to deal with workload which should be spread among higher amount of staff members (people rather pretended to be sick not earning the money than come to work)
    - poor managment, breaking law: demanding doctors sick note after 2 days of work, sometimes fisnishing shift at 10pm and starting for example 6-7am next day, skipping money check with newly open tills to save time, overal inhuman treatment and expectations (not from supervisors as they were in same bad situation as us, but from head office)
    - it often happened that the "office" paid less hours than you actually worked, even if I counted hours myself they always found a magic way to pay less, so after some time I just stopped counting them as it was useless
    - poor hygiene of workplace, it was clean and everything was working great only during audit days - and it is a hospital!
    - constant problems that were slowing down our work: broken sinks, broken fridges, ice blenders etc.
    - fussy customers: most of them were angry at quality of service and its speed - basicly caused by reasons mentioned above. (There is always a queue of 10-20 people)
    - stupid ideas of how to improve our work presented by big bosses - they only know work from the "sitting in the office" perspective trying to implement some ideas which are totally useless. Few days of observation would be better than creating some solutions from the air...
    - no extra money if you work on weekends or holiday, very poor holiday payment
    - slim chances of progression and zero financial or at least mental motivation to do so.
    - unreachable targets as a part of money saving strategies
    - zero work/income stability as the company used to cut hours or not employ new members off staff to squize as much work from current employees as possible. Only when they reached a dangerously low amount of staff they threw some job adverts to fill up some of the holes.
    - very poor training, sometimes non-existing due to shortage of staff
    - frustrating as you see either your supervisors or collegues to burst out crying occasionally when they cannot cope with a given situation ( manage shift with 2 staff members while there should be 5 or 6 of them as we serve easily over 1000 customers daily)

Just go and work as one of us for a week you will see...
    Maybe try to be a human instead of seeing us only as a tool to create revenue. Even tools break if you dont care about them eventually...
    Worked at Costa, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

Worked full time hours on zero-hour contract as a salesman/barista/kitchen porter for half a year there and staff members already called me veteran which explains it all... Costa as a company may be a nice play to work, but the franchise I worked for just brings the shame to this coffee shop brand. I pity all the good, honest and hardworking people who are still there...

Major use of government unemployment systems to round out seasonal contract employment at mostly minimum wage jobs

Former Employee - Human Resources and Administration Assistant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Compass Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cannot think of any, sorry!

Cons

Hire manly new immigrants at min wage and expect the world from them for nothing in return

Cannot give advice to a company with a use them and lose them mentality, sorry

Morrisons is horrible in the Healthcare Industry. Go back to Cafeteria!!

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Loudoun Heights, VA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Loudoun Heights, VA

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros whatsoever to working with this company.

Cons

Pays too little. No room for growth.NON-working supervisors

This company doesnt know the first thing about healthcare! Unsanitary work environment. They expect you to just be glad you have a job. Them crossing over to healthcare was a money move. This is a multi-billion dollar company and they don't give a rats ass about those who are helping them make the money.They expect more out of the part timers than the full timers. Working for this company is like working in a prison.The supervisors do not think they have to work especially when they are short staffed and think their only job is to order everyone else around and never contribute to the work load themselves. They act as if the employees have to pay them to work there.This is an AWFUL company.

Horrible

I worked at Compass Group (more than 3 years)

Pros

there is nothing good about this company

Cons

Treated as if you should be "Happy to have a job". If that's all you care about good luck, that's all you should expect. Do not expect to be appreciated. And do not expect anyone to acknowledge what you bring to the table. Professional growth is not a something that occurs within.

Practice what you preach. Appreciate your employees don't make them victims.

unhappy worker

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was expecting be a nice company but sucks!!

Cons

To many bosses making a lots of money and hard workers earning cheap salaries!!!!! Especially when the chef manager has special treatment with the cashier letting her be absent or out, And she get the same pay???? And hard workers got screw with vacations days, sick days and getting the right salary??? Holding paystubs with the purpose of hide his special treatment with this girl???

Have a better way to determine the salary between cooks and cashier, be professional and give the right pay!!!

The management do not care...

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant In A School in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant In A School in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Compass Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pros as they don't care about children or employees

Cons

cons is working for them

My 3 year old daughter recently broke her arm one Sunday afternoon which required a visit to the hospital. We finally got home at 1am and at 7.50am I informed work about the situation. My daughter had a fresh pot put on her arm BTW. Work then proceeded to order me to get a baby sitter and return to work immediately while spouting about company policy. In fact the rest of the conversation was awful and as a result I felt I was pushed out of my job and to date not one person has got back to us. Loss of earnings...Pushed out. And this is in a school. if they don't care about my daughter then they don't care about the other 1000 children in school or any other school. In fact the regional manager took great pleasure in telling me that when her children are ill, she get's a baby sitter and gets straight to work.

Compass Group Photos