Compass Group

www.compass-group.com

Compass Group Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Compass Group – UK – “EY Top Chefs”

Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins

Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with good benefits(in 5 reviews)

• Best work environment and professionally qualified staff in my team makes me very comfortable to work with(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, low pay because of being in food service industry(in 5 reviews)

• Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island(in 3 reviews)

Sweatshop work

Utility (Current Employee) Geraldton (Australia)

ProsImpossible to get fired.
    Slackers get rewarded
    The bigger bully you are the more you'll succeed and move up in the chain of command.
    One way to get into FIFO work

ConsNot paid properly
    All lower to senior managers treat you like cannon fodder
    All managers prefer to backstab you instead of acting professional and treating your claim or problem
    Intentions are to please client only at the cost of staff
    Extreme high turn over which says alot.

Managers will always pick your clients side no matter what the argument or the story is the client will win hands down.

Managers will always get special treatment (free beer, food, frequent flyer points etc)

Managers get all the credit, managers work less hours than workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a change in the entire system

Terrible job - mixture of a leech and slave-camp company that are present from where I come from... (Eastern Europe)

Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros- great team, we helped each other to survie from one day to another
    - money on time
    - usually two days off per week
    - learned some new skills (barista)

Cons- minimal wage: we spend many hours of private time on online courses which were ment to be paid but never were, the same was with ridiculous raise (20p per hour) which was denied from us even if all of us met the requirements for it.
    - unfair treatment: new workers got better contracts and wages than us although we still had to train them to do the job!
    - no salary while being sick, zero benefits at work: we were denied to drink or eat food from the place I worked cause the company was saving money on us - they explained it was due to the fact we were a franchise belonging to compass group / medirest and had different policy.
    - huge rotation of staff due to horrible working conditions (in the last 3 weeks I worked 6 people quit, during the half a year I worked more than 30)
    - never enough staff so a small and weaken team had to deal with workload which should be spread among higher amount of staff members (people rather pretended to be sick not earning the money than come to work)
    - poor managment, breaking law: demanding doctors sick note after 2 days of work, sometimes fisnishing shift at 10pm and starting for example 6-7am next day, skipping money check with newly open tills to save time, overal inhuman treatment and expectations (not from supervisors as they were in same bad situation as us, but from head office)
    - it often happened that the "office" paid less hours than you actually worked, even if I counted hours myself they always found a magic way to pay less, so after some time I just stopped counting them as it was useless
    - poor hygiene of workplace, it was clean and everything was working great only during audit days - and it is a hospital!
    - constant problems that were slowing down our work: broken sinks, broken fridges, ice blenders etc.
    - fussy customers: most of them were angry at quality of service and its speed - basicly caused by reasons mentioned above. (There is always a queue of 10-20 people)
    - stupid ideas of how to improve our work presented by big bosses - they only know work from the "sitting in the office" perspective trying to implement some ideas which are totally useless. Few days of observation would be better than creating some solutions from the air...
    - no extra money if you work on weekends or holiday, very poor holiday payment
    - slim chances of progression and zero financial or at least mental motivation to do so.
    - unreachable targets as a part of money saving strategies
    - zero work/income stability as the company used to cut hours or not employ new members off staff to squize as much work from current employees as possible. Only when they reached a dangerously low amount of staff they threw some job adverts to fill up some of the holes.
    - very poor training, sometimes non-existing due to shortage of staff
    - frustrating as you see either your supervisors or collegues to burst out crying occasionally when they cannot cope with a given situation ( manage shift with 2 staff members while there should be 5 or 6 of them as we serve easily over 1000 customers daily)

Advice to Senior ManagementJust go and work as one of us for a week you will see...
    Maybe try to be a human instead of seeing us only as a tool to create revenue. Even tools break if you dont care about them eventually...
    Worked at Costa, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

Worked full time hours on zero-hour contract as a salesman/barista/kitchen porter for half a year there and staff members already called me veteran which explains it all... Costa as a company may be a nice play to work, but the franchise I worked for just brings the shame to this coffee shop brand. I pity all the good, honest and hardworking people who are still there...

Major use of government unemployment systems to round out seasonal contract employment at mostly minimum wage jobs

Human Resources and Administration Assistant (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsCannot think of any, sorry!

ConsHire manly new immigrants at min wage and expect the world from them for nothing in return

Advice to Senior ManagementCannot give advice to a company with a use them and lose them mentality, sorry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Morrisons is horrible in the Healthcare Industry. Go back to Cafeteria!!

Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) Loudoun Heights, VA

ProsThere are no pros whatsoever to working with this company.

ConsPays too little. No room for growth.NON-working supervisors

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company doesnt know the first thing about healthcare! Unsanitary work environment. They expect you to just be glad you have a job. Them crossing over to healthcare was a money move. This is a multi-billion dollar company and they don't give a rats ass about those who are helping them make the money.They expect more out of the part timers than the full timers. Working for this company is like working in a prison.The supervisors do not think they have to work especially when they are short staffed and think their only job is to order everyone else around and never contribute to the work load themselves. They act as if the employees have to pay them to work there.This is an AWFUL company.

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthere is nothing good about this company

ConsTreated as if you should be "Happy to have a job". If that's all you care about good luck, that's all you should expect. Do not expect to be appreciated. And do not expect anyone to acknowledge what you bring to the table. Professional growth is not a something that occurs within.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. Appreciate your employees don't make them victims.

unhappy worker

Grill Cook (Current Employee) Cherry Hill, NJ

ProsI was expecting be a nice company but sucks!!

ConsTo many bosses making a lots of money and hard workers earning cheap salaries!!!!! Especially when the chef manager has special treatment with the cashier letting her be absent or out, And she get the same pay???? And hard workers got screw with vacations days, sick days and getting the right salary??? Holding paystubs with the purpose of hide his special treatment with this girl???

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better way to determine the salary between cooks and cashier, be professional and give the right pay!!!

The management do not care...

Kitchen Assistant In A School (Former Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsNo pros as they don't care about children or employees

Conscons is working for them

Advice to Senior ManagementMy 3 year old daughter recently broke her arm one Sunday afternoon which required a visit to the hospital. We finally got home at 1am and at 7.50am I informed work about the situation. My daughter had a fresh pot put on her arm BTW. Work then proceeded to order me to get a baby sitter and return to work immediately while spouting about company policy. In fact the rest of the conversation was awful and as a result I felt I was pushed out of my job and to date not one person has got back to us. Loss of earnings...Pushed out. And this is in a school. if they don't care about my daughter then they don't care about the other 1000 children in school or any other school. In fact the regional manager took great pleasure in telling me that when her children are ill, she get's a baby sitter and gets straight to work.

Extreamly Unprofessional

CSA (Current Employee) Cheam, England (UK)

ProsThe location is great... Thats thr only plus point....

ConsThe company is very unprofessional!! The managers dont respect the staff. The team leader dosnn't know how to use a till and some staff too! We have got a new manager and she tris to boss everyone and doesn't listen to any suggestions. In a recent occasion she lied to one of the staff! Working conditions are bad. and nobody speaks about a raise for a long time employees. They are all on the same wage for many years!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlase see whats happening in the stores and listen to the problems of saff and not just the managment. Improve the working conditions and keep those managers who can respect staff.

current employee???

CSA (Current Employee) Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

Prosits a job and that's that i cant really think of a good point about working for this company

Consvery unorganized when it comes to wages currently been in employment 3 months and still no sign of a wage
    also agree with other reviews stating its not what you know in this company

Advice to Senior Managementsort out wages people have homes and family's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    sort out management staff as they dont help to sort a problem just tend to be fobbed off over and over

St Kilda, a dire place where people go to kill their career.

Worker (Current Employee) Saint Kilda, South Australia (Australia)

ProsTo be honest, the only plus side of working for the Compass Group on St Kilda, is that it is based in a World Heritage Site.

Cons- Took me 3 years to receive PPE.
    - Managers steal from the client, customers and own staff. When reported, you are told to wind your neck in. I hope the managers continue to steal from the company, as I sure as hell won't report it.
    - Work an illegal shift pattern of 29 days in a row.
    - Poverty line wages.
    - No respect either from the company or from the client.
    - Ridiculous expectations. Cleaners are expected to clean a very large building in part time hours and get nothing but a hard time for doing so, despite often going out of their way and doing more than their contracted hours for no additional pay.
    - Management is useless. Kilda managers have absolutely no clue. One can't use a computer (and his work is computer based) and the other is constantly asleep.
    - Daily allowances have been complained about for many years and we still have not received any response from the contract manager.
    - Fruit and veg received is of very poor quality. There is no quality control on Benbecula before this stock is shipped out.
    - Client is a bully, and ESS will not stand up for staff against constant bully-boy tactics, instead using their own against staff in order to stay favourable with the client.
    - Contract manager hired own wife in an important role and hires his children to work all the overtime hours. None of these hours or jobs have ever been advertised.
    - Think they have full control over your life, even outside of work. One staff member threatened with suspension if they did not attend a disciplinary hearing outside of my working hours (on something they were cleared of).
    - There is zero health and safety training. Staff work with helicopters and maritime radios with zero training.
    - There are no opportunities for career advancement unless you're a yes man. Unfortunately, these yes men are the clueless people with no ideas for how to strategically enhance the business and opportunities.
    - Staff are poorly utilised. People who can't use a computer and have no personal skills are in management, those with some level of intellect are instantly bored by the non-challenging pathetic work they are asked to do without any respect.

Everyone is looking for another job. We like to refer to ourselves as third world employees who have done no wrong in life but can't get a break.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff with respect. Try and actually find out what is actually going on at some of your contracts.

Worked for Compass Group? Contribute to the Community!