Compass Group Reviews

Reset
3.3
Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins
Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with many opportunities for growth and advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Great people that are passionate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Ability to attract quality hourly assoicates on current low pay scales is difficult (in 5 reviews)

• All lower to senior managers treat you like cannon fodder (in 3 reviews)

1. GM - ESS

Current Employee - General Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great employer with lots of prospects - big contract wins in the pipeline so the future is looking positive. Best move I could have made

Cons

Slightly less decision making ability compared to my last job but nevertheless the Pros totally outweigh this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing bit make sure you involve your SME's

2. Assistant Director Of Dining Services

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Dining Services in Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Compass Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, I wish I was still working with them

Cons

make you know everything you need to know, bad management

3. cook

Current Employee - Cook in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Cook in Wilmington, DE

Pros

They care about their employees, great benefits, I have a great job, great boss and an awesome district manager.

Cons

For me there isn't any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, caring about your employees. Making sure they have the tools to do the job.

5. A food service company attempting onsite Audio Visual support

Former Employee - Tier I AV Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Tier I AV Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Compass Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch! Decent benefits package. Lots of opportunity to move into other positions and get promoted.

Cons

A very large company. On the AV end of things, management was very incompetent, very passive, and generally speaking did not care about the health and well-being of their employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Be open minded. Think progressively. Do not accept status quo.

6. Food operation manager

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Difficult to recruit staff and when you do they are not getting what was agreed

Cons

Salary doesn't warrant what expected

Advice to Management

Help to set up new staff quickly and get them on the pay role system quicker. Have starter packs in unit ready not on website

7. good experience

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Fairport, NY

I worked at Compass Group (Less than a year)

Pros

benefits, nice hours, food, fast pace experience

Cons

no intern program structure, bad wage

8. Bully!

Pros

- Met some lovely people

Cons

- Management is a bully - felt victimised and treated like a dogs body - Was spoken about to other employees in a terrible way - Was spoken to horrendously - Had hardly if any support from other management - When I handed my notice in I was instantly treated differently by my General Manager - The continuous way I was spoken down to was confidence knocking to say the least Leaving was the best thing I ever did!

Advice to Management

Treat your staff how you wish to be treated!

9. not a bad company to work for but could be a lot better

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Workington, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Workington, England (UK)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to do the NVQ's to gain relevant qualifications and work way up the ladder. being in a small unit the workforce is pleasant and effective. Everyone gets on really well which increases productivity. Manager tries her best to accommodate to everyones individual needs

Cons

Working in a small unit not as many opportunities to further your career. Hard work is rarely recognised. Not seen any of the benefits, bonuses, incentives that were talked up when I started the job just under 5 years ago. Had a few issues with wages in the past such as being overpaid then getting too much taken off me and then not getting it all back.

Advice to Management

more praise and incentives to all the hard working staff. Give them more of a reason to want to work harder

10. chef/manager

Current Employee - Chef Manager in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chef Manager in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at Compass Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Training, Great team work, very professional . really good network of support.

Cons

I haven't encountered any yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

11. Compass Group Professional

Current Employee - Business Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Business Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked in three Compass sectors in the past three years, all in professional roles in both the field and corporate office. The company has unlimited growth potential if you're willing to put in the work to move up and excel, and the company offers a huge variety of positions, departments, sectors, etc to cater to varying professional interests. The overall business outlook is very positive - this is a secure company. The compensation is fairly competitive within the marketplace, and you can work for the company across the US and globe, offering great flexibility for individuals needing it. There are several great leaders and managers throughout the company who are willing to invest time and energy into growing associates that want to progress upwards in their careers with Compass (you just have to find them).

Cons

Compass is huge and it can be easy to get lost in the shuffle and numbers. I don't believe their benefit packages are very competitive - average medical benefits, poor maternity leave and family leave benefits, poor telecommuting offerings, average PTO allowances. They stay very behind the curve on modernizing benefits, office conveniences and perks, etc. Regarding the corporate office in Charlotte, I wish they offered more food options onsite (they are largely a food company, after all) as well as more onsite perks such as daycare, various flexible work spaces (ie - more collaboration spaces, perhaps a quiet room and a coffee house space, etc). Technology is way behind the curve. Although they do have a lot of talented managers and professionals, the number of talented people-managers in the operations is extremely limited. Offer better salaries to your feet on the ground (unit directors, RDOs, etc) so we can hire, mentor, train, and promote better talent moving forward. Work/life balance for unit directors is extremely poor in most cases.

Advice to Management

Make the corporate office a more inviting and fun environment (think Google campus but scaled down) - of course catered to what the Charlotte associates are interested in. Hire and train better managers. Our managers should be people growers first and foremost (before they are excellent operators, culinarians, etc). How will our company remain a leader across the globe if we aren't growing our future leaders?

RSS Feed </> Embed