Compass Group

Updated December 4, 2014
3.1

Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins
Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great people that are passionate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, low pay because of being in food service industry (in 5 reviews)

• Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Some facts about Compass

Former Employee - General Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Compass Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job
    If never open your mouth or ask for anything you will have job security

Cons

False job descriptions
    No support
    Figure it out or call the help desk
    Low salaries vs managed volume
    No room for growth, only if you are a personal friend of senior leaders

Follow what you preach and make sure your regional managers aren't hypocrites

long term contract position

I have been working at Compass Group as a contractor

Pros

I enjoyed my work and the people I worked with

Cons

none -- I was happy with the position and sorry that it had to come to an end

General Food Service Worker

Current Employee - General Food Service Worker in Bowling Green, OH
    Current Employee - General Food Service Worker in Bowling Green, OH

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They let you work around your school schedule and there are scholarships. There is a message board that lets you sub for someone else.

Cons

the 6 pt system. 5 points equal a no call no show and if you call off under and hour before your shift it is considered a no call no show.

Bring back the older dessert lady. I miss the Chinese stir fire food place, and the other kinds f pizza they used t have.

Good job

Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You learn a lot, very smart people around you, open ambience gives you a lot of room for brainstorming.

Cons

Salary is not the best you will receive related to industry, but still is enough to live well

Honestly.... the worst company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - EVS Associate in Hickman, TN
    Current Employee - EVS Associate in Hickman, TN

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours are great, pay is okay, benefits work out, although can be confusing while its changes so much.

Cons

Managements do not listen to the employees. There are many situations that occur. Harassment, stalking, intimidation's, manipulation's, and lies take place, and we have no one to turn to. Every complaints that have been made are over turned and written off as resolved. In which, seems as if the okay was given for this behavior. This only makes the situations worst for us employee's. Very dissatisfied.

I understand that working with an associate is easier than the whole fire, and hire process is. But, as time goes on, it will only benefit you to do so. We deserve to be heard. We are a great team. Honest, hard working, and dedicated. Walk outs will happen, due to these situations you continue to be ignore. I pray the right decisions take place and protection is given to us employee's. Not one person is always right. Listen to us, help us, and give us a harassment free environment. You deserve it, and so do we.

Good Company.!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I worked at Compass Group full-time

Pros

EPA hotline for employees, benifits for part-timers, monthly training sessions, there is a program that will help employees meet their fitness goals (like lossing weight or quitting smoking), vacation pay for full time employees.

Cons

This might just be with my immediate managers, but any rules that weren't in my thin handbook were twisted around. For example, I wanted time off due to a free vacation I won. I was told, I couldn't request ANY time off period. (Not even a day, let only six) because I wasn't hadn't been there a year. Then, once I had been there a year I asked for 4-5 days off due to building stress and I was told I couldn't ask for any time off because I wasn't full time, but I could call around to find someone to fill in for me. Then once I was full time, I asked for time off to take vacation. Guess what? Now, I could only request five days off if I had aquired that much vacation pay.

This also happened with another co-worker over whether or not family members could be hired.

I had an ok time working for terrible managers.

Former Employee - Food Server in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Food Server in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Compass Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was decent pay and enough hours to keep me happy. I would have preferred a better experience, but it was alright.

Cons

Some of the managers were great, but there were also some who just didn't know how to handle employees. They berated and harassed employees who didn't do what they were supposed to do.

Hire better managers.

Disappointing, the employee is not important

Former Employee - Great Room Coordinator in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Great Room Coordinator in Redmond, WA

I worked at Compass Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the pros for working for the 4th largest company in the world is that you have a great infrastructure to rely on when you need to & it's worldwide, so making an international transistion is relatively easy

Cons

Everything else about this company is a con. The people they employ, the policies they abide by, the HR department, the pay, the benefits, the growth opportunities and potential, etc. Any and every thing else you can think of.

My advice to managment is when you take a survey of how things are going, really listen. There are some good ideas. Re-assess what people are paid when a new responsibility is given. Do 360 reviews - where employees get to review the managers. Truly have an open door policy, dont tell people they can talk to upper management when it's frowned upon. Such a large company that cuts corners in every way, should have more money for benefits - they shouldn't be lacking so much.
    Review each branch of the company first hand. Almost everyone i know that works for Compass is unhappy.

Low pay, oblivious management

Current Employee - Dishwasher in Galesburg, IL
    Current Employee - Dishwasher in Galesburg, IL

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some high quality people work here. They take their jobs seriously and for the most part get along with one another. The sniping/gossiping problem is relatively mild.

Cons

Office management is oblivious to the staff. My last year's employee evaluation was almost 3 months late with no explanation. I was highly rated, but then management reneged on my raise, cutting it by two/thirds. Equipment breaks down and stays busted sometimes for weeks(this is partly a hospital management i.e non-Compass failing). Management has cut expenses to the bone and got rewarded for doing so. My hours have been cut twice in three years. My employee evaluation for this year is already a month late, again with no explanation. Some office people don't even want to talk to kitchen employees. Management thinks they can cure all problems with slogans and rah-rah pep talks. And we have more company meetings than Dilbert.

Hire people who have some people skills. Read W. Edwards Demings' book "Out of the Crisis".

It is different experience to work in compass group

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Treat their employee well. Pay the salary on time to their employee. As i am working at one of the chain of compass group, so i don't have much to say about compass group.

Cons

Did not find much cons accept that the pay is considerable less to the amount of work employee do and also benefits is not appropriate.

Please give an equal opportunity for all the employee

Compass Group Photos