Compass Group USA

Updated April 22, 2014

3.2

Compass Group USA CEO Gary R. Green
Gary R. Green

Pros
  • career advancement and the opportunity to work for the BEST contract food service company (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunities for growth (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not always obtainable (in 8 reviews)

• A lack of communication across the board (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for. Benefits are great and pay is pretty good too.

Former Employee - Pastry Cook  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Pastry Cook in New York, NY

Pros

I worked for The Met Museums MDR restaurant under contract by Compass Group. They have a union you can join after 3 months of employment and after 1 year you get health insurance and PTO. MDR is not a entry-level restaurant but their pastry department is a very easy-going environment. You use a lot of the basic recipes you learned in pastry school to make most of their menu and occasionally get to experiment and try out some of your own techniques. Overall I enjoyed working there. I learned a lot about the restaurant scene and doing mass production with a small team.

Cons

Some of my challenges working here was my commute to and from work and the extensive walk from the locker room to the dining room but other than that I had no problem. I was always let to work on my own with little supervision.

Communication is key when it comes to fulfilling the needs of the customer and restaurant. There always room for improvement when it comes to communication.

Be ready to fight!

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

opportuity and benefits are good

Cons

salaries are low and enviornments are tough

increased fairness with salaries

I have 5 years experience in college dinning with sanitation for NYC standard and create means, food nutrition.

Current Employee - Sous Chef I  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sous Chef I in New York, NY

Pros

Very standard clean sanitized and healthy place to work is compass group sectors. We are
    Always keeping in state standard. Creating gluten free, vegan, food nutrition, using for the menu circle for the year.

Cons

Working with union employers, according to the company rules managing employer like as
    Hours break times. Regular payments overtimes. Working with multiple nationals.

N/a

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends Which Sector You Work In

Current Employee - Catering Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Catering Director in New York, NY

Pros

Large Employer- many opportunities globally

Cons

Some sectors better managed than others

Good organization

Current Employee - Catering Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Catering Director in New York, NY

Pros

Possibility for advancement and transfer in various sister company

Cons

Need to know the right people to get promotion or transfer

Upper management should visit units more often

No good

Former Employee - Receptionist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY

Pros

Hours are pretty easy. Overtime is available.

Cons

Poor management, no room for growth, senior staff is hopeless, you're treated like children, no one wants to be there and everyone i constantly looking for another job.

Take notice in your employees. Reward the few people left who actually care and remain professional. Promote from within and know who the weak links are.

worked hard for 5 years and during the 5th year had tough P&L acct and got let go.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

Pros

opportunities to learn and receive training exist. if you are hungry to learn there is a lot offered.

Cons

part of working in a large company is that you are just a number. if you do not work to stand out among your peers you can become stagnant.

we are in the business of providing great customer service and selling good food. the technology we are being asked to use to report our progress is actually becoming a burden to keep up with rather than a tool to support our businesses.

A great stepping stone

Former Employee - Receptionist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent benefits, well-known employer to reference on your resume, annual review is conducted for all employees, equal opportunity workplace, and there is room to grow within the company.

Cons

Low salary, long hours, poor management, lack of communication to employees from management, no open door policy, no accountability for management.

While the experience I gained from Restaurant Associates was invaluable, I believe that the management and HR division of the company needs significant training on employee relations.

Dispensible Employees

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

Competitive salary, nice people (for the most part).

Cons

Horrible benefits package, non-exsistent upper management, clueless upper management, no support from upper management and failure of management to get back to employees regarding issues.

Pay attention and stop handing your work to others. Stop trying to be everyone's friend a keep it professional. Also, if you are going to have employees working at financial firms and law firms, at least have them look the part (professional). Too many people coming in with dirty uniforms and looking sloppy. Also, the internet abuse is insane. One more thing, stop playing favorites and treat everyone the same. Also, support the employees when the time comes; don't stand in the corner and not fight for them.

Worked for Compass Group USA? Contribute to the Community!