Compass Learning

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.3

Eric Loeffel

I am provided the best opportunity in an extremely comfortable environment.

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I am given all the necessary tools and resources to get things done. With such intriguing tasks, it sometimes doesn't feel like work.

Cons

The only challenge I face is the distance work is from home and the traffic leaving work. Nothing on the inside!

I would love to see more engagement with lower level employees.

Love working at Compass!

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of my favorite companies I've ever worked for. Great people, little politics or bureaucracy, ability to innovate and think of new ideas, supportive and talented leadership, good compensation and benefits, and just a fun place to be!

Cons

Not really a "con" but there are high expectations for performance at least in the department where I work (Marketing). Those who aren't dedicated won't last long.

Keep up the great momentum!

Would not recommend this company

I worked at Compass Learning full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. co-workers are helpful and friendly. It was also nice receiving food occasionally and receiving monthly rewards.

Cons

Underpaid and stressful. Managers micromanaged and low morale due to poor communication and little positive feedback. Poor communication between all departments made it hard to provide excellent customer service.

Make sure to properly support your employees. Make sure they are well paid and genuinely care about them instead of treating them as just a number. Provide more communication about what is happening in the company and

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good out look for the future!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company has a strong solutions based mind set. not reacting to the industry trying to shape the industry. The People are excited now and have renewed confidence in the leadership of the company. There is a synergy and a positive spirt that is pulsing through the company. I am new to the company but after reading the reviews previously on glassdoor I was nervous. But after continues research and wanting to see for myself I am extremely happy and very optimistic about my furture at Compass. It is a great culture and a great solutions for education.

Cons

There are a few people still scared of change but this is small and not throughout the organization. I can see the growth potential and for see a move in the future that might cause us to leave our prime downtown location.

Continue on the solution path internally aswell as externally and keep looking for what success will look like in the upcoming years. Also continue to take care of the people cause your culture is great but it takes work to continue it.

Great all around organization.

Current Employee - Inside Sales  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time

Pros

My coworkers are some of the brightest and most dedicated people I have ever met. Leadership truly cares about creating world class products. Management provides its employees with all of the resources and opportunities they need to be successful.

Cons

This company truly works to provide a great work environment for its employees. There have been significant changes and turnover on specific departments is an issue which needs to be addressed.

I Chose to Leave - It was the BEST decision I could have made!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Compass Learning full-time

Pros

Probably the golden handcuff's that kept me there longer than I should have stayed.
         - Decent salary and benefits
         - Excellent PTO policy
         - Waffle Wednesdays, Pizza/Taco Fridays alternating weeks, free soda
         - Great location if you like the 'happening' downtown area and don't mind traffic

Cons

For those where drawing a paycheck is 'good enough', this is the place for you. For those who have a strong work ethic, want to make a difference in a product they believe in, want their opinion to be valued and want their self esteem and self worth to remain intact . . . look elsewhere.

Though I thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with directly, I found it very discouraging to work for the company as a whole. The culture of the company is questionable at best and I am one that believes it starts at the top and roles down. The lack of direction or ever changing direction has resulted in a revolving door of both valuable and key employees, whether they were let go or opted to go on their own. Take into consideration the input from the many other critical reviews on this site of this company and one can realize why there may be undo anxiety and fear or worse yet, apathy, among those who remain. The net result is an atmosphere of complacency. Questions creep in. Is my job secure? Am I the next to go? How long will this next change last before we head off in another direction? Is the product ever really going to recover? Am I riding a sinking ship? Does my input matter? Why care?

That being said, there are definitely those that drink the kool-aid and dance the dance, which is a good thing I suppose. For me, it was no longer a place where I could find fulfillment and where I could be the best I could be. My hope is that at some point all WILL be good.

It starts at the top. . .
    - Realize the product cannot be all things to all people, choose your space and become the very best in that space
    - Be relevant
    - Realize there is a big difference between saying that you care and acting as though you care

CARE about the product, CARE about your employees, CARE about your customers. Loyalty will follow organically.

Actual (Current) Employee Being Honest

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with one of the top educational companies with a lot of former educators, helping teachers become more effective at managing the engagement and learning of their students, unlimited PTO, perks like food, drinks, and social activities in a downtown location, a leadership team that will listen, and managers that build up while pushing you to be your best.

Cons

As most posts have pointed out, there has been some heavy turnover at many levels. This may be unsettling to some, and for good reason. But, I think the leadership has realized their mistakes and lack of vision and has decided to finally take a good hard look at itself and is starting to deliver on their findings. There is a political aspect to the office that makes things tricky to navigate, but if you do your job and deliver results, you can be rewarded outside of the politics.

Stay the course. Listen to your constituents. Stay the course. Promote from within. Oh, and, stay the course even if things don't change overnight. Let things sit for a while before changing things, again. Compensate those that work hard. Have a clear outlined vision with attainable goals. Be a little more approachable and inviting (especially of criticism).

Big Problems at the Top

I worked at Compass Learning as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and pay aren't bad. Most of the people are great.

Cons

While some of the executives are great, most of them are new, and do just about anything to keep their jobs, no matter the cost to team morale. The CEO has been in the role for 10 years, and hasn't done anything during that time to move the company forward. He's checked out and everyone knows it.

Some of Vice Presidents have a questionable values system, and do things like write bogus reviews on here so the rating of the company isn't so dismal, (I heard this directly from an executive) and they speak openly about their peers behind one another's backs. The level of unprofessionalism is off the charts, yet they expect unrealistic results from their teams.

Most employees are looking outside of the company for other jobs and see Compass Learning for what it is: a sinking ship.

Stop the "out to get one another" mentality. Your not fooling anybody. If so many of the reviews on here point out how dysfunctional the leadership is, not everyone can be lying, so maybe it's time to look at yourselves.

The time to be here is now!

I have been working at Compass Learning

Pros

Great vision in place from senior leaders. Really smart people who work collaboratively together! Located in the heart of Austin...you couldn't ask for a better location to walk around during your lunch break!

Cons

There was some turnover that put people on edge, that always causes some worry. But this happens at all companies. But with new energetic people in place, its now starting to get energized!

Keep the consistent message and all will be good!

Exciting time to be a part of this great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time

Pros

This is a great time to be a part of the Compass Learning team. We are reinventing our brand and becoming a solutions based company with a common mission to serve children. If you would like to be a part of a company that cares about its employees and believes in creating a positive culture, then Compass Learning is the place to be. I personally have been promoted twice in the past year and a half and am grateful for the opportunities I have been presented with. It feels good to be a part of a company that cares about my personal growth and career path.

Cons

There certainly has been some challenges in the past 2.5 years that I have been here, but as a company we have certainly overcome most of them. One of the biggest challenges has been getting the right Executive Leadership team in place. I feel that we finally have the right Executive team in place and I'm truly excited to see where we go from here.

Let's keep this leadership team intact and continue on the current path that we're on!

Worked for Compass Learning? Contribute to the Community!