Compass Learning

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
3.3

Eric Loeffel

A happy, fun, and challenging place to be!

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compass Learning has some of the most fun, friendly, and intelligent people around Austin-- all passionate about education and the difference our solutions make with kids. Ambition and creativity are encouraged-- even if that means going outside the scope of your position's responsibilities.

Cons

There isn't enough company-wide communication in my opinion. It is up to each department to provide the vision for their team.

Set goals, communicate them, and celebrate when they are achieved!

Education inside & out

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The current employees here make sure that new employees get the best experience by teaching them all there is to know. I have noticed, in the short few months that I have been here, that the company is really looking out for students just by experiencing being taught so well from the inside. They focus on the education of employees AND students.

Cons

Not many bad aspects of working here.. they feed us for God's sake

Connect a little more with the lower level employees to empower them.

Fun, Fast-Paced culture

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's rare that you get to do something in your profession that is rewarding on not just a professional but personal level as well. CompassLearning focuses on the double bottom line. Yes, we have to be profitable, But Yes, it is equally important to create the best digital learning experience for all learners of all ages.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover in executive management causing some instability in both morale and direction. We have a great plan and things just need to stabilize long enough to execute.

Invest in all aspects of the business equally. Communicate with the employees what our hard goals are and what the benefits of exceeding these goals will be.

Great company!

I have been working at Compass Learning

Pros

Great location, great product. Making a difference in students and teachers lives every day. Fun perks including company parties, open pto, etc.

Cons

Struggle to maintain talent, release of new products, still some self imposed silos between teams.

Stay the course, maintain client satisfaction as the main driver to ensure success.

Even the Positive Reviews Reveal the Issues

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Compass Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with schools and educators, waffle Wednesday and Pizza Friday, downtown locale

Cons

They are endless: management that doesn't really believe in educators, incompetent and unqualified leadership, unethical behavior, intimidation...you name it. The positive reviews can't cover up the dirt.

Change top leadership. All of the VPs have been flipped multiple times over. Something's rotten in the state of Denmark, and it's at the top.

Love working at Compass!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of my favorite companies I've ever worked for. Great people, little politics or bureaucracy, ability to innovate and think of new ideas, supportive and talented leadership, good compensation and benefits, and just a fun place to be!

Cons

Not really a "con" but there are high expectations for performance at least in the department where I work (Marketing). Those who aren't dedicated won't last long.

Keep up the great momentum!

Would not recommend this company

I worked at Compass Learning full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. co-workers are helpful and friendly. It was also nice receiving food occasionally and receiving monthly rewards.

Cons

Underpaid and stressful. Managers micromanaged and low morale due to poor communication and little positive feedback. Poor communication between all departments made it hard to provide excellent customer service.

Make sure to properly support your employees. Make sure they are well paid and genuinely care about them instead of treating them as just a number. Provide more communication about what is happening in the company and

Great all around organization.

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time

Pros

My coworkers are some of the brightest and most dedicated people I have ever met. Leadership truly cares about creating world class products. Management provides its employees with all of the resources and opportunities they need to be successful.

Cons

This company truly works to provide a great work environment for its employees. There have been significant changes and turnover on specific departments is an issue which needs to be addressed.

Good out look for the future!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company has a strong solutions based mind set. not reacting to the industry trying to shape the industry. The People are excited now and have renewed confidence in the leadership of the company. There is a synergy and a positive spirt that is pulsing through the company. I am new to the company but after reading the reviews previously on glassdoor I was nervous. But after continues research and wanting to see for myself I am extremely happy and very optimistic about my furture at Compass. It is a great culture and a great solutions for education.

Cons

There are a few people still scared of change but this is small and not throughout the organization. I can see the growth potential and for see a move in the future that might cause us to leave our prime downtown location.

Continue on the solution path internally aswell as externally and keep looking for what success will look like in the upcoming years. Also continue to take care of the people cause your culture is great but it takes work to continue it.

Exciting time to be a part of this great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Compass Learning full-time

Pros

This is a great time to be a part of the Compass Learning team. We are reinventing our brand and becoming a solutions based company with a common mission to serve children. If you would like to be a part of a company that cares about its employees and believes in creating a positive culture, then Compass Learning is the place to be. I personally have been promoted twice in the past year and a half and am grateful for the opportunities I have been presented with. It feels good to be a part of a company that cares about my personal growth and career path.

Cons

There certainly has been some challenges in the past 2.5 years that I have been here, but as a company we have certainly overcome most of them. One of the biggest challenges has been getting the right Executive Leadership team in place. I feel that we finally have the right Executive team in place and I'm truly excited to see where we go from here.

Let's keep this leadership team intact and continue on the current path that we're on!