Compass Minerals

Updated October 30, 2014
2.5

Compass Minerals President and CEO Fran Malecha
Fran Malecha

Great product with tons of business potential

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time

Pros

New CEO and management with enviromentally friendly products.

Cons

Immature culture and systems - from engineering, maintenance, safety and process.

Set a few realistic goals per year and begin to prevent challenges vs. always being reactive to challenges.

No recognition of talent

I worked at Compass Minerals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, challenging work, opportunities are available, great location, job security

Cons

Lousy financial compensation. The lack of a proper performance-based bonus system will continue to hinder this company in its search for top people and the retention of their valuable employees. This company allows you the opportunity to grow and accept new challenges. They just have no mechanism to reward your successes. The fact that someone who does poorly at their job is rewarded just as good as someone who excels is demoralizing.

Reward your performers. They are are heart and soul of your future success.

Great People, Not So Great Leadership, Inconsistent Procedures

Former Employee - Scheduler
    Former Employee - Scheduler

I worked at Compass Minerals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a lot of variety of work. You will learn different things. Very intelligent people and colleagues. Great people at the different plants, most plant managers are great. Compensation is fair for the most part, and there are career opportunities.

Cons

Very immature corporate culture from corporate leadership. Leadership will tell you one thing, and berate you later for not doing the opposite. Some of those attitudes have trickled down to their departments. Work-life balance during peak season is all work and no life. Attempts at improving core values and culture have yet to yield company wide results. This is causing some good employees to leave.

Need to adhere to better planning and procedures. Attitude from leadership needs much improvement in order to keep good employees.

Going downhill quickly

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time

Pros

There are a lot of very smart, talented and hardworking people here. The work is more interesting than you would expect and the company is very stable in terms of making money.

Cons

The new management says all the right things and then does the opposite. They say they care more about employees than old management but they are actually worse. Since old management was pretty bad, that is saying a lot. For example, they spent a lot of time telling us how great the new healthcare plan would be but it turned out to be a lot worse than the old one. They say they want employees to make more of the decisions now but they really just want us to agree with the decisions they have already made. If you have a different opinion you are in BIG trouble. It's a problem because they don't understand the salt business. We all think they are in way over there heads. They are laying off a lot of employees. It's mostly one at a time and no one knows who's next. We are all just trying not to be noticed while we look for new jobs.

You need to appreciate what has made the company successful for decades and you need to understand that you don't know everything. If you can't, leave and find another company that is a better fit for you. Don't take the company down with you.

New Company, bright outlook

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

new management team leading major change in culture. new direction looks very promising. so far everything new CEO, Fran Malecha, has said has materialized. he does not over promise or sugar coat, he and his team are consistently delivering. that is what we need at CMP.

Cons

still have pockets of reistance to change that will need to go if the company will be successful

keep doing what you are doing to improve our great company

Hopefully getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compass has a new CEO (Jan 2013), and although things are still evolving, there does seem to be a better atmosphere than with the previous CEO. Overall, it's a pretty decent company to work for.

Cons

It really depends on your manager, but there seems to be limited opportunity for development. The size of the company makes it somewhat difficult to get involved in different things, while also limiting the opportunities for advancement. It's also an "old-school", conservative work culture.

Things seem to be on the right track. Continue to empower people to do to their job and hold them accountable. Probably need to re-evaluate the number of high level management to the number of support personnel.

People-friendly company to work for

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Take work/home balance seriously.
    Adequate pay for work done.
    Annual review process is good.
    Somewhat recession-proof.

Cons

Low salary increases, bonus structure is bad, require 110% performance.
    Workload is sometimes overwhelming with no help in sight.
    Company has not been meeting goals over the last several years.

The annual objectives do not reflect reality when employees are asked to meet theem.

Micro-managed & stessed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable job, decent pay, somewhat flexible, nice building, good co-workers

Cons

Micro-managed, cannot move up without a degree, experience means nothing, too many bosses. Stress!

CEO's come in, get rich and leave. Guess it is that way at most companies. Low morale partially due to profit sharing being unattainable for workers; but Senior Management still gets all their perks. CEO told us we're disengaged if we had been there 3+ years and should do company a favor & quit. Started Gallup. HR does nothing to help morale. Before going public we had a lot fewer layers of management and job was less stressful. Very litte job satisfaction, lower morale now. Computer systems flawed. Need to invest in systems & people, everyone stressed. Hard when the CEO has his hand in everything and management cannot make a decision. Where is the B of D's in all this? Imagine someone coming around on New Years Eve at 4:30 to see who left early. Really! Where is trust?

Could Do SO Much Better!!

Current Employee - Management in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Recession proof products, Excellent workforce (for the most part), So much potential to be a GREAT company inspite of itself!

Cons

CEO and Leadership Team need to KEEP hiring qualified individuals to manage the company but then give them the authority and responsibility to manage their respective organizations without needing a 'hall pass' to go to the bathroom! The micro-management and ergo the disfunctionality is 'epic'

You have taken the time and spent the money to hire capable middle management. Allow them to do their jobs without so much unnecessary oversight, unsolicited advice and micro management! CMP Managers have years of experience and are capable of doing our jobs effectively! Hold us responsible for our mistakes and reward us for our successes, but just let us do what we know how to do!! Please remember thant it has been a long time since we were college interns....

Good business model...Senior Management lacking

Current Employee - Management in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent employees at the plant. Significant potential for growth in the SOP business. Great location.

Cons

Senior Management is unprofessional and incompetent. Micro managing is unbelievable and is destroying the business. Vice Presidents make all the decisions and then blame the members of the "team" when their decision does not work. Public ridicule of Site Management is frequent by once Vice President and is leading to numerous resignations. What a great Company this could be if Senior Management would give middle management some authority to act.

Give middle managers at the sites the ability to run their location. Give them the authority and responsibility, hold them accountable.