Compass Minerals Reviews

Fran Malecha

1. Senior Business Director

Former Employee - Senior Business Director in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Business Director in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Compass Minerals (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great leadership; good place to work.

Cons

None that I can recall.

Advice to Management

Execution, Execution, Execution, Execution, Execution.

2. Not a great place

Former Employee - Information Technology in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Compass Minerals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good business plan, growth potential

Cons

Arrogance, lack of respect for employees, unrealistic expectations, talk of accountability but really just making people scapegoats to cover for those further up in the organization.

Advice to Management

You're only as good as your employees. If you keep churning through them like this, it's going to catch up with you and the company will suffer.

3. Terrible company even worse management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cote Blanche Landing, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cote Blanche Landing, LA

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can basically write your own paycheck by working 80 hours per week

Cons

Managment is terrible ! The guys underground who are in charge are absolute jerks and treat you like garbage . They lie about paying vacation time the right way ! Lots of apparent fine print which is nowhere to be found on the contract. They have a terrible office staff and someone is always quitting . Also pay checks are always messed up ! Always ! You will hate working there after the initial excitement wears off . I have never ever been treated so poorly or had to have my payday fixed so many times as I did there

Advice to Management

Please train your staff and train your managers underground how to treat people !!! And for gods sake please quit messing up people's pay checks !!!

5. A company full of pompous, stubborn,

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Compass Minerals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are great. They take care of their employees.

Cons

I worked at Compass Minerals for a few months and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. Everyone in the department that I was working for had the highest expectations, but was unwilling to help anyone out. There is absolutely no accountability in the workplace - you can basically get away with murder. Most who work at Compass have a condescending tone and attitude of "I'm better than you." Compass also prides themselves on being a forward thinking company that is open to change but in fact is the opposite. Everyone is stuck in their ways and it is reflected in to their horrible, negative attitudes whenever someone/something new is introduced. The company overall is stuck in their ways. I especially would not recommend this company to anyone who is new to their career. Almost everyone who works for Compass Minerals is over 50 years old, and they do not believe in hiring young, entry-level professionals. If I had to profile the company, it would be a white, upper-middle class man/woman in their 50-60s. There is no diversity in the office.

Advice to Management

Have some accountability for your employees. Practice what you preach. If you are promoting a value-driven culture, then put policies in place that actually do something about it. Also, your company would benefit from hiring early professionals.

6. good company could be better

I worked at Compass Minerals

Pros

superior employees working hard for the company

Cons

management needs to involve employees more

7. Very forward looking company

Former Employee - Manager in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Ogden, UT

I worked at Compass Minerals

Pros

Valued people, opened avenues for employees to participate in all aspects of the business. Worked very diligently to maintain fair wages as compared to similar companies in the immediate area. The company has invested a tremendous amount of money to expand.

Cons

A lot of changes in personnel have occurred. Very small footprint without a lot of opportunities outside the location that you are employed.

Advice to Management

None - great focus, profit, and building for the future

8. No recognition of talent

I worked at Compass Minerals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, challenging work, opportunities are available, great location, job security

Cons

Lousy financial compensation. The lack of a proper performance-based bonus system will continue to hinder this company in its search for top people and the retention of their valuable employees. This company allows you the opportunity to grow and accept new challenges. They just have no mechanism to reward your successes. The fact that someone who does poorly at their job is rewarded just as good as someone who excels is demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Reward your performers. They are are heart and soul of your future success.

Great People, Not So Great Leadership, Inconsistent Procedures

Former Employee - Scheduler
    Former Employee - Scheduler

I worked at Compass Minerals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of variety of work. You will learn different things. Very intelligent people and colleagues. Great people at the different plants, most plant managers are great. Compensation is fair for the most part, and there are career opportunities.

Cons

Very immature corporate culture from corporate leadership. Leadership will tell you one thing, and berate you later for not doing the opposite. Some of those attitudes have trickled down to their departments. Work-life balance during peak season is all work and no life. Attempts at improving core values and culture have yet to yield company wide results. This is causing some good employees to leave.

Advice to Management

Need to adhere to better planning and procedures. Attitude from leadership needs much improvement in order to keep good employees.

Going downhill quickly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time

Pros

There are a lot of very smart, talented and hardworking people here. The work is more interesting than you would expect and the company is very stable in terms of making money.

Cons

The new management says all the right things and then does the opposite. They say they care more about employees than old management but they are actually worse. Since old management was pretty bad, that is saying a lot. For example, they spent a lot of time telling us how great the new healthcare plan would be but it turned out to be a lot worse than the old one. They say they want employees to make more of the decisions now but they really just want us to agree with the decisions they have already made. If you have a different opinion you are in BIG trouble. It's a problem because they don't understand the salt business. We all think they are in way over there heads. They are laying off a lot of employees. It's mostly one at a time and no one knows who's next. We are all just trying not to be noticed while we look for new jobs.

Advice to Management

You need to appreciate what has made the company successful for decades and you need to understand that you don't know everything. If you can't, leave and find another company that is a better fit for you. Don't take the company down with you.

11. Great product with tons of business potential

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time

Pros

New CEO and management with enviromentally friendly products.

Cons

Immature culture and systems - from engineering, maintenance, safety and process.

Advice to Management

Set a few realistic goals per year and begin to prevent challenges vs. always being reactive to challenges.

RSS Feed </> Embed