Compass Minerals

Be The First To
Add Photos

Compass Minerals President and CEO Fran Malecha

Fran Malecha

Great product with tons of business potential

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time

ProsNew CEO and management with enviromentally friendly products.

ConsImmature culture and systems - from engineering, maintenance, safety and process.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a few realistic goals per year and begin to prevent challenges vs. always being reactive to challenges.

New Company, bright outlook

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time for more than 10 years

Prosnew management team leading major change in culture. new direction looks very promising. so far everything new CEO, Fran Malecha, has said has materialized. he does not over promise or sugar coat, he and his team are consistently delivering. that is what we need at CMP.

Consstill have pockets of reistance to change that will need to go if the company will be successful

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing to improve our great company

Hopefully getting better

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompass has a new CEO (Jan 2013), and although things are still evolving, there does seem to be a better atmosphere than with the previous CEO. Overall, it's a pretty decent company to work for.

ConsIt really depends on your manager, but there seems to be limited opportunity for development. The size of the company makes it somewhat difficult to get involved in different things, while also limiting the opportunities for advancement. It's also an "old-school", conservative work culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings seem to be on the right track. Continue to empower people to do to their job and hold them accountable. Probably need to re-evaluate the number of high level management to the number of support personnel.

People-friendly company to work for

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTake work/home balance seriously.
Adequate pay for work done.
Annual review process is good.
Somewhat recession-proof.

ConsLow salary increases, bonus structure is bad, require 110% performance.
Workload is sometimes overwhelming with no help in sight.
Company has not been meeting goals over the last several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe annual objectives do not reflect reality when employees are asked to meet theem.

Micro-managed & stessed

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStable job, decent pay, somewhat flexible, nice building, good co-workers

ConsMicro-managed, cannot move up without a degree, experience means nothing, too many bosses. Stress!

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO's come in, get rich and leave. Guess it is that way at most companies. Low morale partially due to profit sharing being unattainable for workers; but Senior Management still gets all their perks. CEO told us we're disengaged if we had been there 3+ years and should do company a favor & quit. Started Gallup. HR does nothing to help morale. Before going public we had a lot fewer layers of management and job was less stressful. Very litte job satisfaction, lower morale now. Computer systems flawed. Need to invest in systems & people, everyone stressed. Hard when the CEO has his hand in everything and management cannot make a decision. Where is the B of D's in all this? Imagine someone coming around on New Years Eve at 4:30 to see who left early. Really! Where is trust?

Could Do SO Much Better!!

Ogden, UT

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRecession proof products, Excellent workforce (for the most part), So much potential to be a GREAT company inspite of itself!

ConsCEO and Leadership Team need to KEEP hiring qualified individuals to manage the company but then give them the authority and responsibility to manage their respective organizations without needing a 'hall pass' to go to the bathroom! The micro-management and ergo the disfunctionality is 'epic'

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have taken the time and spent the money to hire capable middle management. Allow them to do their jobs without so much unnecessary oversight, unsolicited advice and micro management! CMP Managers have years of experience and are capable of doing our jobs effectively! Hold us responsible for our mistakes and reward us for our successes, but just let us do what we know how to do!! Please remember thant it has been a long time since we were college interns....

Good business model...Senior Management lacking

Ogden, UT

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent employees at the plant. Significant potential for growth in the SOP business. Great location.

ConsSenior Management is unprofessional and incompetent. Micro managing is unbelievable and is destroying the business. Vice Presidents make all the decisions and then blame the members of the "team" when their decision does not work. Public ridicule of Site Management is frequent by once Vice President and is leading to numerous resignations. What a great Company this could be if Senior Management would give middle management some authority to act.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive middle managers at the sites the ability to run their location. Give them the authority and responsibility, hold them accountable.

Not worth the pay....

Finance (Former Employee)

I worked at Compass Minerals full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary was good. There are also some really nice people that work for the company with good values and good work ethic.

ConsThe management is very negative and tend to micro manage. For example the CEO is involved in seating arrangements and cubicle moves. The atmosphere is overall very negative and very depressing to go to work each day. Many of the lower level employees are good workers but eventually demoralized by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot worth responding - they don't listen.

Good company in a stable industry. Has lots of room to improve morale and employee engagement.

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood salaries and decent benefits. The core employee base cares and wants to do well. Almost recession proof industry, so corporate layoffs are rare. CEO is leaving, so culture change is coming, which should be a good thing. Lots of potential here.

ConsWay too many layers of management. Most people have dual reporting, which is confusing. Few middle managers have authority to make decisions, so it takes forever to get things done. Micro management by CEO. Management is more worried about the bottom line than customer satisfaction. Employee morale is low, but fixable. Company doesn't share it's success well with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN!! Listen to your employees. Stop worrying only about the stock price. If you take care of your customers and employees, honor your obligations, don't oversell the plane and produce a quality product, the stock price will take care of itself. Business 101 can run this well positioned company.

Too much upper management interference.

Production Foreman (Current Employee)
Lydia, LA

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time for less than a year

ProsPay was great, job wasn't exactly hard. Just a huge thumb pushing down on you to get results, when there was no skilled workers.

ConsGeneral Foreman constantly stirred the pot. Expected to work 80 hours a week. When hired was told the company looks forward to outside opinions for a fresh perspective. Although when you give them ideas you were looked at and laughed at saying it won't work.

Worked for Compass Minerals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Compass Minerals reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Compass Minerals CEO Fran Malecha. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Compass Minerals employees.